Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

7 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

They don't half talk some bollocks (and not just the BBC although they are far and away the most accomplished at it).

The opinion that Messi is the greatest ever is proffered by folk of a certain generation. The four that qualify for GOAT consideration are Maradona, Messi, Pele and Ronaldo.

That is the exact order I would have them in and I'd wager that Lionel Messi would agree if pressed.

I’m not sure you could list them individually bolty, any of them could claim that title and probably a few others like Cruyff and Beckenbauer but what if Georgie Best had been English, maybe he’d be up there as well?

Thoroughly enjoyed the tournament as all the things that made it shit didn’t affect me as an arm chair fan. 

I certainly never want a non summer tournament again though I’ll concede the standard of football may have increased as the players were mid season.

Still there were plenty of dog shit games in groups.

I really hope they manage to get this expansion right as it really doesn’t need it other than more dollars Gianni and the gang.

I have a suspicion the Saudis will go for 2030. 

As for the Messi v Maradona debate it’s difficult. Can’t argue with what Messi has done but something still telling me Maradona is the elite due to the fact he played in a harder era players/pitches. 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the tournament as all the things that made it shit didn’t affect me as an arm chair fan. 

I certainly never want a non summer tournament again though I’ll concede the standard of football may have increased as the players were mid season.

Still there were plenty of dog shit games in groups.

I really hope they manage to get this expansion right as it really doesn’t need it other than more dollars Gianni and the gang.

I have a suspicion the Saudis will go for 2030. 

As for the Messi v Maradona debate it’s difficult. Can’t argue with what Messi has done but something still telling me Maradona is the elite due to the fact he played in a harder era players/pitches. 

The standard back then was abysmal, Kachunga would have been a world beater 

Best team won on the night as well imo. France were shite and it was Otamendi’s daft defending than let them in towards the end.

The Argies were proper fired up. Would love to see us like that in a WC game and maybe Bolty has a point when he says will Southgate ever bring that?

Edited by London Wanderer

Bolty is correct. The best managed team won this World Cup not one of the two countries ( France, Brazil) with the best players. England have mentally weak players who bottle penalties and a defensive manager who can't defend against the best teams.The best supported team also won, the Argie fans were magnificent.I didn't think it was an all time great World Cup, the group stage was exciting but the knock out stages were no better than normal

6 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bolty is correct. The best managed team won this World Cup not one of the two countries ( France, Brazil) with the best players. England have mentally weak players who bottle penalties and a defensive manager who can't defend against the best teams.The best supported team also won, the Argie fans were magnificent.I didn't think it was an all time great World Cup, the group stage was exciting but the knock out stages were no better than normal

Scaloni spent most the game right on the touchline. That second goal was for me the best of the World Cup and it started with him bossing his players into the press. Beautiful goal.

The scenes in Buenos Aires were unreal. Totally uplifted a nation that’s had hard times of late. Great to see.

• The topic was unpinned

I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that it was a winter tournament in Qatar. The time zone meant that the matches were at a good time here, it's been great viewing on the run in to Christmas when telly is often shit, the players were fresh and it showed in the quality of the games, the Premiership got it's long-debated winter break so we'll see if that's improved it, and it didn't stop me watching the Wanderers as I recorded the few WC games that clashed. Plus FIFA have finally got a WC hosted by a Muslim country so that won't be an issue for a while and there was no trouble between the fans for a change.

Edited by Wanderlust

1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that it was a winter tournament in Qatar. The time zone meant that the matches were at a good time here, it's been great viewing on the run in to Christmas when telly is often shit, the players were fresh and it showed in the quality of the games, the Premiership got it's long-debated winter break so we'll see if that's improved it, and it didn't stop me watching the Wanderers as I recorded the few WC games that clashed. Plus FIFA have finally got a WC hosted by a Muslim country so that won't be an issue for a while and there was no trouble between the fans for a change.

The Prem players in the tournament didn't get a break, and given it's the world cup there's a good chance they'll be best players at their respective clubs 

The second half of the prem season could be interesting as the same players may not get a break till summer

• Moderators
7 hours ago, gonzo said:

One of my customers here reckons the final was scripted.

Two Qatari owned players, playing staring roles in a Qatari final. 

Deffo voted brexit.

How did the qataris make the dutch miss their penalties against the argies 

Or kane against the french

Id love to meet one of these conspiracy theorists in real life and throw questions at them relentlessly

• Members
18 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I’m not sure you could list them individually bolty, any of them could claim that title and probably a few others like Cruyff and Beckenbauer but what if Georgie Best had been English, maybe he’d be up there as well?

All great players mate and, as always, all a matter of opinion. Fair point re Besty - my old man only rated Pele as better. As you say, if he'd played for a country with a higher profile he may well have been elevated to the level of the four I listed.

Only my opinion but the four I listed would be the best four in my lifetime. I'd pick any of them for BWFC before the three you listed. Opinions are like arseholes and all that.

• Members
3 hours ago, Zico said:

How did the qataris make the dutch miss their penalties against the argies 

Or kane against the french

Id love to meet one of these conspiracy theorists in real life and throw questions at them relentlessly

They are all nuts mate and there are thousands of the mad fuckers.

19 hours ago, DazBob said:

Would we ever see anything like that in England, if we won it?

I sadly don’t think it’s something we will ever have to think about. Logic and history says we will need to be the host nation and I can’t see that for a long time anyway.