Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup


kent_white
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I really didn't get what they were trying to achieve with it. It barely showed any match action, virtually zero from games not involving England and for what? To say football was cured afterwards?

Same here. It was just about hooliganism and how hooliganism was all Thatcher's fault.

The fact it was based around Italia '90 seemed incidental.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starts this week doesn't it. Saw panini stickers albums on the counter for free at coop today. 

Too late pal, I've usually spent £900 and part of a 2000 page thread on wanderersways by now. 

Absolute shit show this world Cup. Proper shite. 

We'll probably win it too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Like Charloi and Marsellie ten years later never happened 

Difference is at the time the prime minister said basically all football fans are criminals.

Basically...all working class men are thugs, it is something culturally we've never really got beyond until....Capitalism saved everyone with the Premiership and the ongoing gentrification of the national game, to the point local kids can't afford to watch matches and it's all older blokes and families.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Difference is at the time the prime minister said basically all football fans are criminals.

Basically...all working class men are thugs, it is something culturally we've never really got beyond until....Capitalism saved everyone with the Premiership and the ongoing gentrification of the national game, to the point local kids can't afford to watch matches and it's all older blokes and families.

Colin Moynihan was a cunt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Same here. It was just about hooliganism and how hooliganism was all Thatcher's fault.

The fact it was based around Italia '90 seemed incidental.

Seems such an easy and lazy thing to say that a few results against Belgium and Cameroon and narrowly losing to Germany somehow changed the face of football. A lot more interest and hangers on yeah, but it didn't stop hooliganism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Congratulations on travelling so far👍 That makes your opinion far more important then. 

Southgate listened to what his players were saying and supported them. The majority of England fans don't and never had a problem with that. Especially after the Euros final when it was a clear a problem (albeit from a minority) still existed. He was just doing what any decent boss would do.

The only issue was that we didn't push on after our first goal against Italy. That's what bothered most England fans - not the rainbow laces, not the anti-racism and not the exaggerated drama queen nonsense about some woke infiltration of football. 

get a grip pal - you've had a great life so far and nobody wants to die a bitter old man 💗 St. George needs you. 

Fuck off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

;):D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Traf said:

P, come on, man.

No matter what's wrong with the game/the FA/the management/society etc etc, you've got to want England to win, surely?

I'd rather wait 'til 2026 if that's OK? Eddie Howe just getting on with the job in hand instead of campaigning over every social issue imaginable. Besides that, I will be there!

If however, England do win it this time around (my thoughts best chance Brazil, second Argentina, third France) I would take satisfaction in the boost it would give the country whether social, economic or the feeling of well being (I won't use the word pride as it is another one which has been hijacked). I just don't want faux outraged political opportunists being acclaimed as heroes. it would probably mean even more of their nauseating bullshit for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The real hypocrisy is that Brits pontificate about human rights and social values when our own soldiers are found guilty of torturing and murdering POWs and racism, sexism and homophobia are rife in the UK.

And as for taking "dodgy money" the UK spreads it's legs for anyone with 3 of our 17 protectorates in the world top ten of offshore tax havens and f*** all checks on companies that want to register in London like the oligarchs do.

That on top of hundreds of years of exploiting people and ripping off the resources of nations around the world.

And we think we have the right to criticise Qatar?

F*** off!0

 

FFS, another fucking Corbynite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DazBob said:

So none of us can have a bad opinion on a country where sex outside of marriage can mean being flogged/stoned/put into prison and doing gay stuff can lead to a prison sentence?

We can't have a bad opinion because "we are not squeeky clean".

Really?

 

I am curious about the 'we'. I hope he's not another of these statue toppling imbeciles attaching blame to people today for events that happened hundreds of years ago? No doubt he is guilt ridden about the relatively luxurious lifestyle he leads compared to the downtrodden and starving.

Che Guevara tee shirt and a beret with a red star on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, L/H White said:

I'm looking forward to it now 

4 games a day, what's not to like 

I'll have forgot where it's hosted after the first few games 

It's coming home 

Coming round to just enjoying a feast of football now so agree with your first three points R.

I think the last one is overly optimistic. Quarter finals most likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I'd rather wait 'til 2026 if that's OK? Eddie Howe just getting on with the job in hand instead of campaigning over every social issue imaginable. Besides that, I will be there!

If however, England do win it this time around (my thoughts best chance Brazil, second Argentina, third France) I would take satisfaction in the boost it would give the country whether social, economic or the feeling of well being (I won't use the word pride as it is another one which has been hijacked). I just don't want faux outraged political opportunists being acclaimed as heroes. it would probably mean even more of their nauseating bullshit for a while.

And you don't think everything's going to be even more woke by the time 2026 comes around?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me : "I'm not watching the world cup "

Wife : " why ? You love football "

Me : " Its a crap country, poor human rights, 1000s died building the stadiums "

Wife : " you love football, what is you not watching it going to achieve , no one's bothered "

Me : "principals "

Wife: "just watch it , don't be stupid " 

 

So on the wife's advice I will watch. As for the football , let's hope the beautiful game wins , regardless of who lifts the trophy . Brasil or Argentina maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.