Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre -Season Games

Mounts Kipper

See these comments I don't get it's not doom n gloom for the sake of it my comments are in my view an accurate assessment of where we're at now a doom n gloom merchant just holds a continuous negative viewpoint the only glimmer of light would be players returning from injury to bolster what currently is a piss poor set of players and a management team who given a modicum of backing could actually do something. Those folk who think there's no need to be concerned should stop sniffing glue.

The situation has been the same all summer. We've no money. We are in a hole financially. And no takeover is imminent.

We have to make the best of it. If we have a good team spirit and the fans get behind the club and realise we need everyone pulling in the same direction we will be ok I think!

We say this every year.

We lack organisation, commitment and passion.

Our problem wasn't going forward, as ever it was it winning the ball back, set pieces, basic defending and a FUCKING MIDFIELD.

I'm as positive as they come, but I really think the bookies are right, there's not three worse than us this year.

This is my big worry. From what I've seen of pre-season, we're simply not resolving last season's on-field problems yet.

Our biggest problem for several seasons has been that we've lost the midfield battle more often than not. We don't have physical or athletic enough central midfield players to dominate the centre of the park. That for me underlies why our back four looks so bad and why we can't get enough players into the oppositions penalty box on enough occasions. That problem has not been touched since Holden and Muamba finished.

I'm hopeful that Pratley is part of the answer here, but I think we need another one like him.

Our biggest problem for several seasons has been that we've lost the midfield battle more often than not. We don't have physical or athletic enough central midfield players to dominate the centre of the park. That for me underlies why our back four looks so bad and why we can't get enough players into the oppositions penalty box on enough occasions. That problem has not been touched since Holden and Muamba finished.

I'm hopeful that Pratley is part of the answer here, but I think we need another one like him.

Agreed. Though we shouldn't need physical/athletic midfielders to retain possession - we need football-wise passers & movers.

Pratley is a big lad and can carry himself well enough in a scrap

We need another big in in there though, no nonsense, ideally with a decent eye for a pass as well but that's when they start getting expensive

So Vela then yeah?

A lovely day in Colwyn Bay, a nice ground & friendly locals. A good, fairly competitive game & draw would have been a fair result with our winner being a fluke.... a cross that sailed in.

Playing in a midfield role, Kellett was our best player without creating anything clearcut.

Taylor & Finney  the centre halves, were both very solid defensively. Finney is good on the ball but gave it away a couple of times in dangerous positions... sometimes it's best to launch it !!

Thomas was lively & caused a few problems up front, & Woolery looked very quick in the 2nd half.

Kellett, Taylor & Finney may be getting close to the first team squad, none of the others were bad, but will probably need more time to see how they develop.

Went Oldham away pre-season a few years ago

We bought on a massive Nigerian forward called Sami

IIRC He'd been on the pitch about 5 minutes before he went up for a challenge and knocked one of theirs out with his elbow

Most amusing 

Remember that. Allardyce was still manager.

That Sami bloke can't have been a footballer, he was twice the size of Heskey and not in a good way. I'm sure it was an inside joke somehow...

Remember that. Allardyce was still manager.

That Sami bloke can't have been a footballer, he was twice the size of Heskey and not in a good way. I'm sure it was an inside joke somehow...

It was an "Allardyce special" for sure

Another amusing pre-season game was Burnley, when that dingle space cadet ran across the pitch and tried to storm our end on his own and couldn't get up the wall to the away end :D