Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nfl

clown

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

We will disagree then ;) Extraordinary performance by the Buckeyes but I can't see them stopping the juggernaut which is the Crimson Tide.

I hope the bookies will give me some decent odds!

Bama are odds on here bout 1/3 mate maybe even shorter. 

On 04/01/2021 at 08:59, bolty58 said:

I'm sure my mate Youri (nator) will get on board once he reads this.

https://www.sportscasting.com/who-owns-the-green-bay-packers/

And I'm a communist?

I used to be in a band with a lad from Appleton, WI.

He was into the Packers.

We never played together (hello sailor) - we'd 'jam' via TDK, UPS and Royal Mail.

I simply can't get into it (NFL) - I don't mind highlights shows, but full games leave me cold, the ball isn't in play enough.

My team, however, would be the Detroit Lions as I like the music of Detroit and the team themselves are perenially shite - winning fuck all.

If one must follow a team(s) as well as BWFC it's the law they should be crap/smalltime.

If one follows Serie A and picks say, Juventus, one may as well get down to The Bishop Blaize and ask around for spares.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

And I'm a communist?

I used to be in a band with a lad from Appleton, WI.

He was into the Packers.

We never played together (hello sailor) - we'd 'jam' via TDK, UPS and Royal Mail.

I simply can't get into it (NFL) - I don't mind highlights shows, but full games leave me cold, the ball isn't in play enough.

My team, however, would be the Detroit Lions as I like the music of Detroit and the team themselves are perenially shite - winning fuck all.

If one must follow a team(s) as well as BWFC it's the law they should be crap/smalltime.

If one follows Serie A and picks say, Juventus, one may as well get down to The Bishop Blaize and ask around for spares.

The NY Jets are the team for you.

They lose constantly, except for the 2 games they won this season which they actually NEEDED to lose.

The parallels with our maligned soccer team are plentiful 

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

They lose constantly, except for the 2 games they won this season which they actually NEEDED to lose.

How can you need to lose? Even in (proper) football you wouldn't contrive to lose to draw an 'easier' side in the playoffs..?

Anyhow, dunno how many times they've reached the Superbowl, buy Wiki tells me they won it in 1969. And even I've heard of Joe Namath.

The Lions are über-shit and, gun to head, I couldn't name a single player for them - past or present.

Nah, it's Detroit for me.

If I ever made the trip over to get to see my heroes in the flesh I could also cash in my XRP (currently about £248) and buy up half the city - become a limey slumlord. Two birds one flight (well two, no direct flights from the UK).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

How can you need to lose? Even in (proper) football you wouldn't contrive to lose to draw an 'easier' side in the playoffs..?

Anyhow, dunno how many times they've reached the Superbowl, buy Wiki tells me they won it in 1969. And even I've heard of Joe Namath.

The Lions are über-shit and, gun to head, I couldn't name a single player for them - past or present.

Nah, it's Detroit for me.

If I ever made the trip over to get to see my heroes in the flesh I could also cash in my XRP (currently about £248) and buy up half the city - become a limey slumlord. Two birds one flight (well two, no direct flights from the UK).

The worst team gets first pick in the draft.

Jets were well on course to being the worst team by losing their first 13 games

All they had to do was lose the last 3 and they were certain to get the next star quaterback

They couldn't even manage that.

@Spider

Wouldn't a decent side offer daft money for the trade?

And surely a keen volunteer is worth more than a surly conscript.

I know about the draft and all the basics - I have attempted to get into it, especially when we were basically the 51st State over here during the 1980s when we were kids.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spider said:

I've suffered for years with the Bills

when they were good, they were a laughing stock, losing 4 superbowls in a row in the 90s

when they were shit, they were a laughing stock, from 99 to 2017  they "endured the longest active playoff drought ... making them the last NFL franchise and the last in the four leagues to qualify for the postseason in the 21st century"

however

McDermott and Allen are the new Belichick and Brady

36 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I've suffered for years with the Bills

when they were good, they were a laughing stock, losing 4 superbowls in a row in the 90s

when they were shit, they were a laughing stock, from 99 to 2017  they "endured the longest active playoff drought ... making them the last NFL franchise and the last in the four leagues to qualify for the postseason in the 21st century"

however

McDermott and Allen are the new Belichick and Brady

You’ve been drinking again haven’t you 

4 hours ago, Spider said:

The worst team gets first pick in the draft.

Jets were well on course to being the worst team by losing their first 13 games

All they had to do was lose the last 3 and they were certain to get the next star quaterback

They couldn't even manage that.

On 02/09/2019 at 19:56, ZiggyStardust said:

Tank for Tua is the Dolphins 2019 unofficial motto. 

Not sure if Herbert isn't a better alternative though.

Sometimes, getting what you always wanted may not be as good as the alternatives.

There really isnt an exact science in drafting players.

See Ken O'Brien (Hello, Jets), Tony Eason & Todd Blackledge *a

Also Chad Pennington (Hello Jets) Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, & Spergon Wynn. *b

*a - Quarterbacks taken in the firstround, before Dan Marino was drafted at #27

*b - Quarterbacks drafted before Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I was in NYC a couple of years ago and Syracuse (collegiate football team) were at home. Almost the whole of NYC seemed to be attending. Probably every bit as big a deal as the pro teams.

Bigger deal based on attendances I reckon.

Its a more localised team to follow.

• Members
15 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

And I'm a communist? Aren't you?;)

I used to be in a band with a lad from Appleton, WI. Lovely state that. Many friends around that state and will be spending more time there in the not too distant future (Covid over hopefully). Richfield, Madison,Blue Mound, Wauwatosa, Oshkosh and ,of course, Green Bay are favourite spots for various reasons.

He was into the Packers. Good lad.

I simply can't get into it (NFL) - I don't mind highlights shows, but full games leave me cold, the ball isn't in play enough. Must admit, either Redzone or watching a replay where I can fast forward past the seemingly endless advert breaks is the way I watch it.

My team, however, would be the Detroit Lions as I like the music of Detroit and the team themselves are perenially shite - winning fuck all. My Millwall mate down here follows the Lions (for obvious reasons). He's also into the the soul and scooter scenes so the Motor City is a perfect fit for him. Of the Packers divisonal rivals, the one I dislike the least.

If one must follow a team(s) as well as BWFC it's the law they should be crap/smalltime. An injection of optimism is required I think sir. BWFC will be great again.

If one follows Serie A and picks say, Juventus, one may as well get down to The Bishop Blaize and ask around for spares. I follow Serie A. Napoli in the main but the wifes family also have a Lazio and Milan supporter and the rest are in the lower leagues - mainly Salernitana but also a couple of Bari fans and Cosenza fans.

Italics so as not to appear to be shouting :D

• Members
10 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Michigan get over 100k at their games. Bonkers numbers

And the Aggies on a regular basis. Don't the Nittany Lions also get monster crowds? The Badgers sell out Camp Randall every game (when crowds are allowed!).

Seen the Packers play live a number of times and also been to a good few Badgers games. Love it all but there's no doubt the college game is a far more entertaining day out.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Aye they will win. 

They didn't get past this stage in 2019 or 17 

So a game further would be good to see 

On current form, I'd like to see them take on the chiefs