Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Change Of Owner?

onlyoneawalker

Guest GudniB

Just trying to inject a note of realism into the picture. Players wages are the biggest issue and they have to brought down big-style but, when you've done all that, what's left?

How much, for example, is going out on the debt that is understood to have been taken on? How many of BWFC's loyal, modestly paid employees are going to be handed P45s in the next few weeks? These are things that concern me.

Kevin Davies said a few months ago that he thought the club had lost its soul. It hasn't lost it completely because its soul is in the hearts and minds of its supporters but I do feel I understand what he meant and I worry that its lost more of it since he said it.                                

Edited by GudniB

I hate to sound cruel but if the 'modestly paid' staff are not required then why shouldn't they get their P45s? I feel the same way about any player too.

I'm an equal opportunities bitch.

Agreed to a certain extent (not the bit where you say you hate to sound cruel, cos you love it :) )but you've got to lay off fifty modestly paid staff to get to the level of savings achieved by getting shut of say, Mark Davies.

And getting shut of Mark Davies doesn't erode goodwill in the community potentially impacting future revenues, these folks and their families will likely be die hards.

I'm in no doubt that there will be cuts in these areas but best to concentrate on the clichéd 'low hanging fruit' first if at all possible.

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Guest GudniB

Depends on the financial plans of SS.

Which they might not want to say much about (and that's not always a bad thing).

Its early days, but Deano has said they have been working on it for six months.

I understand that (obviously :) ) but to ignore areas because staff are paid less which Gudni I believed was intimating would be emotive, naive and frankly daft.

This was a reply to RR BTW

Correct, I would assume that they would have a comprehensive turnaround plan with a number of workstreams.

My beef was with Gudni questioning the addition of KA's salary to the board - I say if he's as well connected as Deano makes out it could be a possibility of a 'spend to save' savings strategy, the quicker you move on that the less unpalatable stuff you have do in other areas - as you say that's fairly obvious too all but the most blinkered.

Guest GudniB

Agreed to a certain extent (not the bit where you say you hate to sound cruel, cos you love it :) )but you've got to lay off fifty modestly paid staff to get to the level of savings achieved by getting shut of say, Mark Davies.

And getting shut of Mark Davies doesn't erode goodwill in the community potentially impacting future revenues, these folks and their families will likely be die hards.

I'm in no doubt that there will be cuts in these areas but best to concentrate on the clichéd 'low hanging fruit' first if at all possible.

Agree with that but we now have an ownership that is not Boltonian. There will be some who will think that there is no room for sentiment and that it was sentiment that got us into the mess we were in.

Agree with that but we now have an ownership that is not Boltonian. There will be some who will think that there is no room for sentiment and that it was sentiment that got us into the mess we were in.

The owners could be from the moon for all I care, you're sounding a bit Newcastle there mate.

Sentiment has played a part in getting us here, new contracts for SKD and ZK upon relegation. New contracts for perma-crocked Mark Davies and David Wheater. That's before we get to anything off-field which I know very little about.

• Members

Just trying to inject a note of realism into the picture. Players wages are the biggest issue and they have to brought down big-style but, when you've done all that, what's left?

How much, for example, is going out on the debt that is understood to have been taken on? How many of BWFC's loyal, modestly paid employees are going to be handed P45s in the next few weeks? These are things that concern me.

Kevin Davies said a few months ago that he thought the club had lost its soul. It hasn't lost it completely because its soul is in the hearts and minds of its supporters but I do feel I understand what he meant and I worry that its lost more of it since he said it.                                

I have concluded that the hours must fly by at your house.

Rizlar - have a +1.

Guest GudniB

I wasn't actually questioning that. The point I was raising was that when we had pots of money coming in we had a paid Chairman and a paid CEO (and they were both paid a lot even though the club was losing money). Duckworth, the CEO, was paid off at considerable expense when we were relegated. So my question was, how much is it going to cost to go back to having a paid CEO & a paid Chairman and is the paid CEO going to make it difficult for the football manager to manage (And yes  I do appreciate that we have not had a football manager doing a very good job since Sam left).

Correct, I would assume that they would have a comprehensive turnaround plan with a number of workstreams.

My beef was with Gudni questioning the addition of KA's salary to the board - I say if he's as well connected as Deano makes out it could be a possibility of a 'spend to save' savings strategy, the quicker you move on that the less unpalatable stuff you have do in other areas - as you say that's fairly obvious too all but the most blinkered.

Edited by GudniB

I wasn't actually questioning that. The point I was raising was that when we had pots of money coming in we had a paid Chairman and a paid CEO (and they were both paid a lot even though the club was losing money). Duckworth, the CEO, was paid off at considerable expense when we were relegated. So my question was, how much is it going to cost to go back to having a paid CEO & a paid Chairman and is the paid CEO going to make it difficult for the football manager to manage (And yes  I do appreciate that we have not had a football manager doing a very good job since Sam left).

Has it been confirmed that we will have a paid Chairman and a paid CEO?

The £10m a year figure quoted for non playing costs will be everything from the tea lady to executives - utilities to travel costs

All that will have to come back a lot in league 1. However if we are getting less traffic through the ground on match days, club shop, corporate boxes etc etc then it won't need as many staff so redundancies are likely of assume

It's a shame we can't make players redundant

if this is reet, its a drop in the ocean

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/bolton-wanderers-squad-list/

Wheater, Dobbie, Heskey, Danns, Rabchuka obvious ones I wouldn't want renewing, would think that's about 2 million of the wage bill. Keeping Feeney, Holding and Woolery would be first job for me. Edited by Mounts Kipper

Wheater got a pay rise when we got relegated

That's not sentiment; it was an educated gamble to keep him in order to go straight back up

In hindsight it was about as good a bet as the 12 homes that John Smith puts on every Saturday

And a lot more costly than £2 a week

Sentiment my arse

Wheater got a pay rise when we got relegated

That's not sentiment; it was an educated gamble to keep him in order to go straight back up

In hindsight it was about as good a bet as the 12 homes that John Smith puts on every Saturday

And a lot more costly than £2 a week

Sentiment my arse

It was a bad deal for us, think Boro were sniffing around at the time. He's been pretty shit for us always seems to pick up an injury when going gets tough.

Fair enough Gudni, but you've fallen into the trap of arbitrary digs at the 'faceless suits' again. I heard that Duckworth was well respected, that considerable expense to pay him off was considerably less than say Tyrone Mears trousered from us for a kick off.

A pay off is always going to look a horror show in the accounts. Maybe if we kept hold of Duckworth we wouldn't be in this mess, who knows?

We probably needed more board level interference in transfers since we came down as the traditional model has not worked, which in fairness you acknowledge at the end of your post.