Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

V Pakistan In Uae

globaldiver

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well todays been a bit shit so far.

Was wide awake early morning so ended up watching it til about 9am - or whenever Stokes was out. Think we let them off the hook with the bat not getting a lead of 100+.

Rashid and Patel looked well set. Still fascinating to watch Stokes when he came into bat.

Could have done with earlier wickets in their 2nd innings, but at present its the equivalent of 43-2.

• Moderators

Was wide awake early morning so ended up watching it til about 9am - or whenever Stokes was out. Think we let them off the hook with the bat not getting a lead of 100+.

Rashid and Patel looked well set. Still fascinating to watch Stokes when he came into bat.

Could have done with earlier wickets in their 2nd innings, but at present its the equivalent of 43-2.

you wouldnt want to have to get 150 in the last innings

On a side note, i have no idea why Ali is opening the batting. He just doesn't look like an opener, not in the slightest. He can't face the short ball, which isn't so much of a problem in Asia but we go to South Africa in December. Hales should of been bedded in this series. 

Isn't it true he's never even opened at county level either. Strange.

Like the look of Taylor though. If Buttler returns in SA and we retain Bairstow in the batting line-up, does Taylor replace Bell? Or does Bell move up the order to open???

Isn't it true he's never even opened at county level either. Strange.

Like the look of Taylor though. If Buttler returns in SA and we retain Bairstow in the batting line-up, does Taylor replace Bell? Or does Bell move up the order to open???

Thinking the same, Bell to open

So far averaged 40 in the series, which is good enough

Disappointing, but never expected to win over there. Could of easily been 1-0 to us after the first test and we could of seen a different series. 

Team to line up on boxing day

1.Cook

2.Hales

3.Bell (just)

4.Root

5.Taylor

6. Stokes

7. Buttler (Harsh on Bairstow but get buttler back in the team because he will be a class player for us in the long term. Plus the quicker Saffie wickets will suit him more than the low asian ones.)

8. Rashid (gets the nod over Ali, just, in my opinion. Ali's bowling has gone backwards since he came into the side. Rashid has the most potential imo)

9. Broad

10. Wood

11.Anderson

Disappointing, but never expected to win over there. Could of easily been 1-0 to us after the first test and we could of seen a different series. 

Team to line up on boxing day

1.Cook

2.Hales

3.Bell (just)

4.Root

5.Taylor

6. Stokes

7. Buttler (Harsh on Bairstow but get buttler back in the team because he will be a class player for us in the long term. Plus the quicker Saffie wickets will suit him more than the low asian ones.)

8. Rashid (gets the nod over Ali, just, in my opinion. Ali's bowling has gone backwards since he came into the side. Rashid has the most potential imo)

9. Broad

10. Wood

11.Anderson

3 lost tosses

Inferior spinners

And still did OK

Some good developments

Still on the up

Need another opener! Is it Hales?

I was hugely impressed with Roy opening... I know it was the one dayers, but just liked the look of him.

But do we consider sticking with Moeen Ali - he's had 3 games under his belt now? Hasn't really done much, but its 3 games more than whoever else we may bring in (other than Lyth).

Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler have all been unimpressive with the bat. But feel like I want all 3 to really succeed. Bairstow just hasn't taken his chances IMO - expected much more from him.

• Site Supporter

I was hugely impressed with Roy opening... I know it was the one dayers, but just liked the look of him.

But do we consider sticking with Moeen Ali - he's had 3 games under his belt now? Hasn't really done much, but its 3 games more than whoever else we may bring in (other than Lyth).

Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler have all been unimpressive with the bat. But feel like I want all 3 to really succeed. Bairstow just hasn't taken his chances IMO - expected much more from him.

Good call re Roy. Did well against the Aussie quicks