Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

Possibly, or maybe I just look like I may have some...????

Seriously, it's what happened, I've no point to prove either way.

It's true, when I pop in I normally go in scruffs, if no other cunt makes the effort why should I? Though t'other week I was turning heads in smart as fook clobber, looked like I was on my way to Henley Regatta and still no requests for change...

I can believe that amount of beggars, you should give em a wide berth to avoid the guilt trip - it'd only be going towards a bag in nine out of ten cases.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Was in Wigan yesterday. That shopping centre is alreet, a tad better than our Market place.....but we have the Vaults.

Apart from that...utter wank, with dozens of boarded up shops, and around 1000 pie shops.

I was asked for money 3 times, twice by the same bloke. But I was offered free pet food.

Edited by Pablo

I was asked for a cigarette in broken English by a big fat immigrant fella, twice in quick succession t'other week (Asda Burnden, a beggar's paradise atm) - same bloke accosted me a couple of years ago (and was similarly told to piss off) with the same trick - anyhow, if anything his command of the language has got worse in the intervening period, disgraceful.

I was asked for a cigarette in broken English by a big fat immigrant fella, twice in quick succession t'other week (Asda Burnden, a sandwich pinchers paradise atm) - same bloke accosted me a couple of years ago (and was similarly told to piss off) with the same trick - anyhow, if anything his command of the language has got worse in the intervening period, disgraceful.

It's been scutter-proof the Whoopsie aisle of late for some reason, loads of fayre for the bourgeoisie they can't shift to the ghetto-dwellers (or because the poshos now give the store a wide berth because of the tramp encampment at the entrance)...

Duck liver pate, Extra Special Tallagio cheese, Ripening Brie and Goat Logs and Nocellara Olives were last night's offerings - loads of bright eyed and still fresh whole sea bass too.

What scutter would want those (apart from me)?

I can remember two periods when it seemed quite affluent and thriving...

Late 80s when the Market Place, Morrisons, Water Place, Lewis's, Hollywood Bowl etc. had been built/opened...And during the great pub boom of the mid-nineties, when loads of pubs and bars sprung up, were taken over or had refurbs...You could sit in Crompton's Mule eating Green Chicken 'Thai' Curry with the windows open and feel quite metropolitan, a stick of Vodkas at Revolution for afters - magnifique.

Other than then though, yeah, it's mainly been a dump.

Someone asked me for 40p on Bradshawgate last night. He was very specific about the amount.

I got asked for 40p outside Aldi earlier. I wonder if it's the same beggar?

Scruffy cunt, coughing everywhere but his hands, unruly beard too.

When I started at Hicks in 1976, I used to go into town every lunch time and it was thriving. It seemed to have everything that you'd want from a town. (Even a Habitat)

I'd go and say hello to my Aunt who worked on the perfume counter in the Co-op and Mum who worked on a cooked meat stall in the old Market Hall.

All very nostalgic but the Town Centre was definitely NOT a dump.

The infrastructure is there to build on and there are plenty of reasons why it can be as great as it once was.

. It seemed to have everything that you'd want from a town. (Even a Habitat)

bloody hell, that takes me back. I remember looking at the window display saying to my dad, I have to have that swinging wicker chair. We decorated my whole bedroom from there. I thought I was well cool. :)

bloody hell, that takes me back. I remember looking at the window display saying to my dad, I have to have that swinging wicker chair. We decorated my whole bedroom from there. I thought I was well cool. :)

I mentioned Habitat because it only opened stores in thriving towns. Just had a quick look at its history in the 70s and it only opened 71 stores: 35 in the UK, 26 in France, 5 in Spain and 5 in Germany.

The old Habitat store on Knowsley St is now a Poundland or similar.

For a football analogy, we had Frank Worthington in the 70s and we now have Gary Madine.

When I started at Hicks in 1976, I used to go into town every lunch time and it was thriving. It seemed to have everything that you'd want from a town. (Even a Habitat)

I'd go and say hello to my Aunt who worked on the perfume counter in the Co-op and Mum who worked on a cooked meat stall in the old Market Hall.

All very nostalgic but the Town Centre was definitely NOT a dump.

The infrastructure is there to build on and there are plenty of reasons why it can be as great as it once was.

Not just during the day, Bolton was a great night out as well with pubs for all tastes & ages, plenty of clubs & Bradshawgate was heaving, especially on Friday & Saturday nights.

Sadly, i don't think that can ever be recreated with too many pubs gone for good.

Mid to late 70's going in to town as a kid to buy a pair of jeans from Talibs or Stolen From Ivor. The place was fucking heaving and the queues at the bus stops made you wonder if you'd get a seat on your bus. Trying to find a place to sit on the town hall steps to watch the crowds go by

Early to late 80's and I could go in to town to buy a suit for work with choice from loads of places. Night times saw the evolution from the Swan Cellar, Lower Nags, Griffin, etc wild-west days to all the old pubs converting to bars, everyone off their tits on E and fucking great nights at Mondo/Temple and Hawthorns

90's still OK. Market Place thriving, Market Hall a bit shit but town still packed on a Saturday afternoon. Nights still good but Bank St starting to feel a bit nasty

Millenium - down hill since on all fronts

I mentioned Habitat because it only opened stores in thriving towns. Just had a quick look at its history in the 70s and it only opened 71 stores: 35 in the UK, 26 in France, 5 in Spain and 5 in Germany.

The old Habitat store on Knowsley St is now a Poundland or similar.

For a football analogy, we had Frank Worthington in the 70s and we now have Gary Madine.

Wythenshawe had a habitat

JSL

Mid to late 70's going in to town as a kid to buy a pair of jeans from Talibs or Stolen From Ivor. The place was fucking heaving and the queues at the bus stops made you wonder if you'd get a seat on your bus. Trying to find a place to sit on the town hall steps to watch the crowds go by

Early to late 80's and I could go in to town to buy a suit for work with choice from loads of places. Night times saw the evolution from the Swan Cellar, Lower Nags, Griffin, etc wild-west days to all the old pubs converting to bars, everyone off their tits on E and fucking great nights at Mondo/Temple and Hawthorns

90's still OK. Market Place thriving, Market Hall a bit shit but town still packed on a Saturday afternoon. Nights still good but Bank St starting to feel a bit nasty

Millenium - down hill since on all fronts

Sums town up perfectly for me.

I suppose anyone under 25/30 would think that Bolton town centre has always been shit, but that really isn't true - it used to be a vibrant thriving place and the nightlife was excellent in the 80's and 90's.