Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

2 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Pub I worked in as a yoof had mild on and it only got pulled once a week, for one pint. I thought it had gone funny the first time I poured it and the chap said no it’s meant to be like that. 

Occasionally he’d have a lambs dark rum for the road.

I thought the point of supping mild was it didn't get you pissed up - necking Navy Rum after it doesn't make sense...I dread to think what the mild tasted like being sold so infrequently an' all...

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Very very end of deansgate I could just about understand? But I would have said moor lane also. Used to be my underage venue of choice pre match that in the early 90’s before a pissed up walk to Burnden. 

Strange how just a few years makes a difference to drinking culture - I think I was actually 'of age' first time I went in The White Lion, maybe they'd had a visit from plod but I recall it being one of the pubs you had to be legal, and I looked older too - had my first pub pint at 14 and was an old hand at being served in offies, cornershops and even supermarkets by then - very lucrative that turned out to be, small commission for buying for (loads of) others.

I think my first pub pint was in The Volunteer or possibly Mcginlays but before he had it? It was a shithole with ripped seats up that neck of the woods - did Stella though when that meant something.

Like others my age crowded around the trestle table outside the bogs in The Man and Scythe is where I bedded into underage pub drinking properly though 😃 

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Mild is expected to have some form of resurgence soon.

As the craft ale market seems to be shifting ABVs higher and higher, it is creating a gap in the market for a more "sessionable" ale, so craft milds are on the way at around 3.8 to 4% strength.

A lot of people used to ask for a mixed, i bet they would look at you like WTF? If you asked for a mixed now.

Can remember walking past wagon & horses minding my own on the way to Burnden as i get right outside all hell lets loose as lads pour out and a few either Mansfield or chesterfield can't remember try to get in.

Well the only place to step aside was in the pub, place is empty, geezer at bar says "mixed?" Out of pure shock i say "yeah nice one", minutes later place fills back up and its as if nothing ever happened.

Probably only time i had mixed.

Was ok though.

First bar job I got I was asked for a mixed and hadn't got a clue. Never heard anyone order that before. Years ago now but I think even then there were only a couple of fellas drinking that.  There was still mild on tap, but it was definitely seen as 'an old man's drink'.

20 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

First bar job I got I was asked for a mixed and hadn't got a clue. Never heard anyone order that before. Years ago now but I think even then there were only a couple of fellas drinking that.  There was still mild on tap, but it was definitely seen as 'an old man's drink'.

I was the same.  At 18 I drank pints of whatever was available but mainly lager, i had no idea what crap others drank though.

Mixed

Lager top ("you mean shandy?)

Whisky and pep.  We had a bottle of peppermint cordial that was older than I was. He must have been the only bloke who ordered it.

18 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

You also used to occasionally see in the 70s/ early 80s.

If the weather was nice and a bloke had his shirt off it would say , Bitter & Mild above his nipples tattooed on, guess that's not as common now.

What across both? Like left nipple bitter, right nipple mild?

Maybe there was an innovative brewing process at work?

1 hour ago, ProfessorWoland said:

What across both? Like left nipple bitter, right nipple mild?

Maybe there was an innovative brewing process at work?

Yes, similar to the stylish "hate" across the right hand fingers & "love" across the right.

In my early days, brown & bitter was a popular drink, though I don't know if they still do brown ale. ( not Newcastle brown, which i thought was a bit fizzy )

• Site Supporter

A bloke who liked like Doogal off Magic roundabout used to come in the Alma on a Tuesday night fairly regular and would always drink 8 pints of Mild (Burtonwood , rank).

Anyway, he was a weird chap to talk to but harmless enough. As tuesdays were quiet, I’d often end up having conversations with him.

One night, he spoke for about 30 minutes solid about the time he hid in a forest from the police when they’d caught him stealing lampshades from a shop on great moor street. The police, he said, had lasers for eyes and were riding unicorns but he managed to evade them because his hair acted like an invisibility coat.

It turned out, he later confessed, that before he’d headed out that Tuesday for his gallon of mild, that he’d dripped acid onto his contact lenses rather than rice paper just to see what the effect would be.

The week after, he told me he got home on a bus driven by a pig with 16 dayglow legs.

I loved that pub.

5 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

As long as their name is on our shirt and they've decent ale for daft prices there's no shame in plugging them from time to time.

😉

I think HB are fucking ace tbh.

No snobbery, no nonsense, just everyday stuff at stupidly low prices. Ale-wise, they've always got a massive selection for under £1.50 a throw, which is normally my price cut-off point, unless it's something special. 

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

They are...

Dunno why folk are snotty about them - most of what they sell is branded stuff for much cheaper than anywhere else.

Good to have their main man on our side as well.

Same reason as they're snotty about Morrisons, Iceland and Ryanair.