Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

Went to watch Top gun last night, Middlebrook was sold out, the valley ones had only a few seats, Trafford centre sold out. Ended up at the light in the Market place. There was only us in there the, place was dead. The restaurants in the Vaults (that were open) seemed quite busy 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Had to get to work using public transport last week and noticed 201 St Georges Road was up for sale, another historic Bolton landmark biting the dust.

Historic in what way?

• Members
2 minutes ago, boogs said:

I'm guessing it's the one on that row that was the "adult entertainment" shop. 

Close to the end of Vernon Street? My old mans Private Hire firm was there before moving further towards town along St Georges Road. Ended up not far from facing the top end of Knowsley Street. Used to pay for an advertising hoarding on top of the bar in the away section of the Embankment.

There were a few 'interesting' establishments around that area - probably still are?

15 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Close to the end of Vernon Street? My old mans Private Hire firm was there before moving further towards town along St Georges Road. Ended up not far from facing the top end of Knowsley Street. Used to pay for an advertising hoarding on top of the bar in the away section of the Embankment.

There were a few 'interesting' establishments around that area - probably still are?

That's the one. Pretty much opposite the end of Vernon Street.

There's a fancy looking new chippy and the great, if a little pricey, Franca's Italian takeaway on that row but not sure what else. There's a load of work eventually going on at the building at the lights with Chorley Street/COR/CNR. Can only assume its gonna be turned into flats. Think it was used for a bar called "fudges" or something from memory. Sure some of you lads on here will know what it was before that??

• Members
1 hour ago, boogs said:

That's the one. Pretty much opposite the end of Vernon Street.

There's a fancy looking new chippy and the great, if a little pricey, Franca's Italian takeaway on that row but not sure what else. There's a load of work eventually going on at the building at the lights with Chorley Street/COR/CNR. Can only assume its gonna be turned into flats. Think it was used for a bar called "fudges" or something from memory. Sure some of you lads on here will know what it was before that??

If that's the one across the street from Cains Barbers on Chorley Street, used to be a massive pub whose name escapes me. I think on a return visit it had become a bloody monstrous Indian restaurant.

Wish I could remember what the pub was called (The Clifton?).

As an aside, the barbers shop I refer to was a 'go to' in the skinhead era. Introduced the shaved in parting.

Edited by bolty58

24 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

If that's the one across the street from Cains Barbers on Chorley Street, used to be a massive pub whose name escapes me. I think on a return visit it had become a bloody monstrous Indian restaurant.

As an aside, the barbers shop I refer to was a 'go to' in the skinhead era. Introduced the shaved in parting.

I do have a memory of their being a barbers at the top of chorley Street opposite there as a kid, but the era you're on about would be well before my time I'm afraid mate. 

28 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Just having a post work pint in the pub so asked one of the old boys in here. It used be called Crofters he reckons. 

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Crofters.

Cains was where I went to as a kid. He would do any cut, as long as it was a short back and sides.

Crofters was horrible. Great building and layout but Greenall’s iirc. Fucking awful beer. Called in occasionally but straight to The Howcroft after for some decent beer. There was another small boozer down at the bottom of Chorley St as well wasn’t there? Down in the dip on the way to The Navada. Or am I imagining it?

• Site Supporter

Just seen that there was a fire today on Manchester Road. A photo suggests it may have been the old Churchill's pub- can anyone confirm?

Anyway, I did a search to see and found this:

http://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.com/2014/03/churchillsrose-hill.html?m=1

This place gets a mention (and Zozzy).

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Crofters was horrible. Great building and layout but Greenall’s iirc. Fucking awful beer. Called in occasionally but straight to The Howcroft after for some decent beer. There was another small boozer down at the bottom of Chorley St as well wasn’t there? Down in the dip on the way to The Navada. Or am I imagining it?

Farmers arms was opposite the hospital/David Lloyd's???

16 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

That’s the one. On the left hand side as you went down Chorley Street. Called in there a few times on my way to Hawthorns

Used to be a guy in there that took his owl in with him. Sit on the bar or back of his chair. Used to scare the shit out of me when it turned and looked at you. 

• Members
18 hours ago, boogs said:

Just having a post work pint in the pub so asked one of the old boys in here. It used be called Crofters he reckons. 

Thanks mate! That was it. Knew it began with a 'C' (or was that me :D )