Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

On 28/11/2022 at 07:41, royal white said:

Art shop on Deansgate in Manchester was selling copies of this last year for 15k. Who the fuck pays 15k for a copy? 

I've got a copy of it in my hall, I think my mum paid about £30 for it 🙂  - I like it because it's inspired by Burnden Park, but I can see why some think it's a bit shit.

It's not as shit as that thing a few years ago, with Bolton players dressed as gangsters 😁  - I'm happy to admit I was a mug and bought a copy, as I thought at the time was was great. I was wrong, and it's now in the loft, with a load of other shit, waiting to go to landfill at some point. Anybody going to admit to having a copy, that they're still happy to have on display?

• 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Carlos said:

M&S going. Where else can I buy middle class sandwiches from now?

I'd say it's the biggest shop in the centre, by a considerable distance. Not good.

It’s being turned into a processing centre for asylum seekers.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Carlos said:

M&S going. Where else can I buy middle class sandwiches from now?

I'd say it's the biggest shop in the centre, by a considerable distance. Not good.

First I've heard this, yet just seen that they're opening a number of new shops with around 3400 jobs.

Wonder where they're all going.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

First I've heard this, yet just seen that they're opening a number of new shops with around 3400 jobs.

Wonder where they're all going.

Town centres up and down the country are dead now. The last two M&S that have opened near here, have been on out of town retail parks, where it seems most people do their shopping these days

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

Town centres up and down the country are dead now. The last two M&S that have opened near here, have been on out of town retail parks, where it seems most people do their shopping these days

Makes sense.

Just had a read and comments from an M&S man suggest similar. 

Would be good if rents came down on centres and some more independent places opened up again.

5 minutes ago, lobbypond said:

How many betting shops is there in the town centre?

5 i think - Paddy Power, 2 Ladbrokes, 2 Betfred

The council should hang its head in shame, Marks and Spencer closing has killed the Town Centre for good.The council has encouraged the retail park in Horwich to attract wealthier  Bolton people and filled the town centre shopping experience with poor local people, students and immigrants who aren't interested in paying £3.50 for a sandwich.There's plenty  flocking round the fridges at yellow label time though

Bolton will be going the way of Rochdale where even McDonalds has fucked the town centre off.Bolton is a bigger and wealthier town that needn't have gone that way

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Rewind to (what seems like) a few years  and M&S, and the likes of W H Smith, BHS, Bon Marche and others were telling shoppers to order on line, or use self scan tills. As were the supermarkets. So people have done. You can't have it both ways.

Similarly with micro breweries and other small businesses, you can't expect people to drink the cans you're knocking out cheap and still come in the pub. Sorry, the last bit is my own pet grumble.