Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

"bubble" Matches

MancWanderer

Was up in Burnley and Clitheroe today and got talking to a couple of Burnley fans who were venting their spleens about the fact that Saturday's match is a bubble match with all the controls associated with it. The fact that they've got to get designated coaches, can't get a match ticket without boarding said coaches, etc, etc

Got me thinking. If it's such an intense rivalry that it needs the police and the clubs to put these measures in place, are we missing out on summat like that? Not the "bubble" shit but the fact that we haven't got a local rival that creates such an atmosphere/hatred/etc 

Was up in Burnley and Clitheroe today and got talking to a couple of Burnley fans who were venting their spleens about the fact that Saturday's match is a bubble match with all the controls associated with it. The fact that they've got to get designated coaches, can't get a match ticket without boarding said coaches, etc, etc

Got me thinking. If it's such an intense rivalry that it needs the police and the clubs to put these measures in place, are we missing out on summat like that? Not the "bubble" shit but the fact that we haven't got a local rival that creates such an atmosphere/hatred/etc 

bet its only them two backward clubs that do it now

I've just been reading something about Bristol City and their match at Cardiff. Apparently they have 30 mins before the match where they have to exchange a voucher for their match ticket at a Service station on a motorway somewhere near Cardiff!

It sounds so unbelievable I have read it incorrectly so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hull v Huddersfield? That's a new one on me.

It does kick off between the two but think the bubble game was a one off organised by west Yorkshire police

So hull fans went on a protest round Huddersfield without going to the game which needed more policing than the match would have done

Or summat

I reckon the way things were heading with Wigan we would have probably had one of these for that fixture.

It's been spoke about on here loads but I really do wish we had a genuine rival. Wigan was getting there but I wasnt bought up to hate Wigan so it was all a bit of an afterthought really. They started to get on my nerves more than anything.

Whatever the traditionalists say on here,in the modern era united never have or never will be a rival.

Honestly wouldnt mind Wigan coming up. It was the only exciting league fixture of last season.

• Moderators

Whatever the traditionalists say on here,in the modern era united never have or never will be a rival.

dont talk bollocks

you live so far away, you dont get it

tell the walkden lot united arent a rival

folk on here go on about preston...who?

wigan and blackburn mean nowt to me

my side of town the rivalry is bury and united

where i'm living, its blackburn

i think despite being a small club, we cover quite a big area so we've a number of rivals rather than one we can focus on

dont talk bollocks

you live so far away, you dont get it

tell the walkden lot united arent a rival

folk on here go on about preston...who?

wigan and blackburn mean nowt to me

my side of town the rivalry is bury and united

where i'm living, its blackburn

i think despite being a small club, we cover quite a big area so we've a number of rivals rather than one we can focus on

I do get it.

Rivalry IMO is two way.

If they were that big of a rival we wouldn't have struggled to sell our allocation there for the last 4/5 times we played there.

The topic of this thread is about bubble matches and the rivalry that goes with it. If you think our rivalry with united is anywhere near that you've been overdoing that shite Aldi lager you drink.

And only Everton are bigger out of that lot, Malcolm.

I agree gonzo that a full blooded rivalry needs to be a mutual thing - and we've not had that with United since the late 50s. The reason we struggled to sell out at OT in the last few years of the Prem tho was to do with folk not wanting to stump up 40 quid plus to see us get dicked on. And tomorrow Ewood will only be two thirds full for the biggest game of the year for both clubs...not because the passion has gone but because it costs an arm and a leg, it's on telly and if you're a Burnley fan you have to come on a club coach, you've no choice. Fuck that.

thats what you said

and its bollocks

Haha it's not though is it?

For reasons I and you have just explained.

Some folk on here hate Preston. Are they a genuine rival worthy of a mention in a thread about bubble matches and rivalry that goes with it?

Are they fuck. Just like united aren't. We don't come close to being on their radar therefore not a two way rivalry.

I'm not massively fond of Barcelona. Maybe our next fixture with them will be a bubble match.

Blackburn for me, however it is an era thing. In the 1970's the two biggest mobs after the mancs was us and Blackburn, lots of rivalry there. Some of Blackburns old boys would testify to that, but nowadays, I don't think there is anything like that now, perhaps I am wrong

This one way rivalry thing with United is put about by reds to trivialise us in the same way many Bolton fans do with Wigan and Bury. Most of the genuine reds that live on our border or even within Bolton, see it as a genuine rivalry.

The plastic Mancs from London, Dublin, Bangkok or even Blackpool might not see it that way.