Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Injuries

Rizlar

• Site Supporter

I have a theory that modern footballers, atleast in the higher leagues, are too finely "tuned". Same way a 20 year old Ford Mondeo will keep running forever, but a Formula 1 car needs a new engine every few races. Even I think my theory is absolute utter shite though.

I have a theory that modern footballers, atleast in the higher leagues, are too finely "tuned". Same way a 20 year old Ford Mondeo will keep running forever, but a Formula 1 car needs a new engine every few races. Even I think my theory is absolute utter shite though.

Reckon this is certainly the case with hamstring injuries. Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter

I'm no expert but I'd blame the new pitches with sand base and also blades instead of studs.

Didn't think many wore blades any more. For some reason, I was under the impression it was just a fad that only lasted a couple of years due to the increase in injuries they caused.

Edited by Cheese

Didn't think many wore blades any more. For some reason, I was under the impression it was just a fad that only lasted a couple of years due to the increase in injuries they caused.

They were the original longer blades too

One of the times I snapped my ACL was wearing them on 3G and it was because the blade stuck in the turf

This is why Jardel was never injured.

As far as injuries go, I'm convinced it's the modern pitches that are to blame for knee damages.

Pitches don't cut up, get muddy to the extent of the old ones. The preference for the fast nice playing surface is a harder, better drained one. That in turn makes studs, blades are whatever harder to slide and move.

I don't think it's the pitches, the older ones were probably worse for inducing injuries. 

As pointed out further up, by Cheese (...FFS, I'm agreeing with him), I believe it's the fact that the players are now incredibly finely tuned athletes, and this in turn means that they probably are more prone to little niggles  -  the F1 analogy is actually quite a good one.

It's also very difficult to compare the game now to that of the 1980s or before, it's a totally different pace and the players are now a million miles more developed physically than they ever used to be. This is shown by how long people can keep performing at the highest level for, back in the day you were pretty much fucked once you got to 30/31/32 years old, now you have a lot of pro footballers keep going on into their mid thirties quite comfortably

Edited by Sweep

I don't think it's the pitches, the older ones were probably worse for inducing injuries. 

As pointed out further up, by Cheese (...FFS, I'm agreeing with him), I believe it's the fact that the players are now incredibly finely tuned athletes, and this in turn means that they probably are more prone to little niggles  -  the F1 analogy is actually quite a good one.

It's also very difficult to compare the game now to that of the 1980s or before, it's a totally different pace and the players are now a million miles more developed physically than they ever used to be. This is shown by how long people can keep performing at the highest level for, back in the day you were pretty much fucked once you got to 30/31/32 years old, now you have a lot of pro footballers keep going on into their mid thirties quite comfortably

I don't think you could be more wrong.

The Wembley pitch of the 1950s was always perfect for the FA Cup Final, but there were 9 serious between 1952 and 1965, most of which affected the result, and certainly the spectacle, of the only live football on TV.

While in the past many careers were ended, or at least severely blighted, by surgery on the knees, modern surgery is 1000% better in terms of outcome.

It may surprise you to learn of the decades that the 20 outfield players to represent England over the age of 35 gained their last cap. Of the 20, 6 did so in the 1920s, 1 in the 30s, 4 in the 50s, 2 in the 70s, 1 in the 80s, 3 in the 90s and 3 in this century. And this despite the fact that there are far more international matches in modern times, and that the absence of substitutes in olden days meant there were only 11 players for a team in a match.

Modern warm-up is more intensive than in the past, but strolling across a pitch at 50% effort is hardly adequate to test dodgy legs or prepare for full effort in a match.

I don't think you could be more wrong.

The Wembley pitch of the 1950s was always perfect for the FA Cup Final, but there were 9 serious between 1952 and 1965, most of which affected the result, and certainly the spectacle, of the only live football on TV.

While in the past many careers were ended, or at least severely blighted, by surgery on the knees, modern surgery is 1000% better in terms of outcome.

It may surprise you to learn of the decades that the 20 outfield players to represent England over the age of 35 gained their last cap. Of the 20, 6 did so in the 1920s, 1 in the 30s, 4 in the 50s, 2 in the 70s, 1 in the 80s, 3 in the 90s and 3 in this century. And this despite the fact that there are far more international matches in modern times, and that the absence of substitutes in olden days meant there were only 11 players for a team in a match.

Modern warm-up is more intensive than in the past, but strolling across a pitch at 50% effort is hardly adequate to test dodgy legs or prepare for full effort in a match.

I think Dave Whelan may have been one of them. Rumour has it he was once injured during a game