Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden

Boo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coventry playing in a turd coloured strip....

York playing in a strip which looked like a tin of corned beef....

Carlisle match 74/75 played in monsoon like conditions.....

Losing 4-3 at home to either Hereford or Carlisle on a night match near the end of the season....

My dad taking us back in for the extra time v Fulham.....

Oldham playing in the Orange away strip, Thommo absolutely tearing them apart......

Newcastle cup game and the Keegan era, gigantic away followings......

Boro playing in blue n black strip 73/74 season..think it was the last game and they won 2-0 .....

Forest given the Lever End in 76/77....sacrilege....

Sweets,pop and crisps sellers walking round the running track selling their wares.......

Forest 75/76 ...,Warbies giving out free butties at half time by the dolly birds walking round.........

Pockets of Everton fans in the Manny Road Wing Stand singing Que Sera Sera in 77 ......cunts..........

Thommo's testimonial v the combined thieves team......Friday night, twenty odd thousand on.....

Franky warming up on the pitch in front of the empty Embankment for that non league club from the Wirral, great reception on his homecoming.....

Beating Derby and Sheff Weds in the space of a few days to stay up in 81/82 ....

Big Sam scoring from the A666 Kearsley turn off v Sunderland.

Many many memories of Burnden.......

Reebok/ Macron is shit.

Remember Brighton turning up in their deck chair kit and yea the macron is a bit shit and in league 1 it's going to get seriously worse

One of my earliest memories was stood in the corner of the Lever End fencing watching a permatanned Jimmy Greaves taking a corner for Spurs (1961/62 I think) he was posing straight out of Buchan's football monthly however alt young roughnecks from down Bowton were busy grollying at him.I was quite shocked dressed in my school cap & gabardine mack !

We won 1-0 .

I remember getting giddy when we had 13k on for Stockport at home and even more giddy when they painted the lever end roof and covered up that ingersolrand sign or whatever it said that had worn away.

Grew up in love with the place. I would count every minute of the week till I got to go again and couldn't get there earlier enough. I'd be ready to go waiting for my dad to come home from work on a Saturday morning from the moment I woke.

We'd get to the king bill early and it was straight out the back for me for a game of footy and see how high you could climb up that big metal gate thing.

The place was magic for me as a kid. We left when I was 14 and I was absolutely gutted.

I just hope my lads are as in love with the macron as I was Burnden.

New grounds are fucking shit.

• Site Supporter

I remember getting giddy when we had 13k on for Stockport at home and even more giddy when they painted the lever end roof and covered up that ingersolrand sign or whatever it said that had worn away.

Grew up in love with the place. I would count every minute of the week till I got to go again and couldn't get there earlier enough. I'd be ready to go waiting for my dad to come home from work on a Saturday morning from the moment I woke.

We'd get to the king bill early and it was straight out the back for me for a game of footy and see how high you could climb up that big metal gate thing.

The place was magic for me as a kid. We left when I was 14 and I was absolutely gutted.

I just hope my lads are as in love with the macron as I was Burnden.

New grounds are fucking shit.

You have a chance with that. It's not far off 20 years now since we left Burnden, there's a whole generation of support who have never walked down Manny Road for a big game, smelt them bogs, sat in a stand with wooden floors etc.

The Macron is all they have known - poor sods

• Site Supporter

You have a chance with that. It's not far off 20 years now since we left Burnden, there's a whole generation of support who have never walked down Manny Road for a big game, smelt them bogs, sat in a stand with wooden floors etc.

The Macron is all they have known - poor sods

The Macron is all they/we have left...

Memories are great and get better with age. The future is where the adventure lies...

Ex Bolton winger Gordon Taylor, he of PFA fame, had left us and eventually washed up at the home of our hillbilly chums from Blackburrrn.

Dressed in their red away strip he jogged towards the Burnden Paddock to dogs abuse as he received the ball from the ball boy to take a throw in.

Above all the insults was heard the question "A'rt gooin' on shithouse?", wonderful!

To his credit Tiger Taylor burst out laughing as well. Still makes me smile to this day.

Happy memories!

One of my earliest memories was stood in the corner of the Lever End fencing watching a permatanned Jimmy Greaves taking a corner for Spurs (1961/62 I think) he was posing straight out of Buchan's football monthly however alt young roughnecks from down Bowton were busy grollying at him.I was quite shocked dressed in my school cap & gabardine mack !

We won 1-0 .

Excellent! Perfectly paints the picture. Excellent use of the word grollying too not heard that in yonks!

Some of my memories are...

The running battles under the two bridges on Manny road, long haired hoolies being dragged by their hair by the mounted police.

Shitting myself seeing 200 dirty leeds outside of the Rose hill tavern.

Dad getting his sunglasses knocked off by half a brick behind the embankment (Chelsea irc)

Roy Greaves's "flying header"

Frankies goal (obvs).

Bovril.

The racket of everyone stamping their feet in Burnden Stand on the wooden floor.

Little Billy the old Burnden car park attendant who managed to get me autographs from all the team and all the LFC team at Peter Thompsons testimonial (78).

Loftys pie incident.

Mum and Dads bad idea of moving to the Lever end seats.

Them little hotdog carts.

The floodlights being cropped.

Dismay at Normid construction (only sing when yer shopping)

Battle of Burnden.

Reidy's leg brake.

Taddy Nowaks first match reserve match, I got hit in the face with the ball.

My first game was in 92 FA cup against Southampton but I still had plenty of memories.

Chucking snowballs at Marc Overmars as he tried taking corners, using all the snow that would gather in the burden terrace and lever end corner.

Them little Endsleigh football's they chucked in to the stands one year, think my dad still has one.

The whole ground bobbing up and down in time with Stop The Cavalry at Christmas time.

Getting Mixu's autograph on a pair of foam reindeer antlers.

Super John showing his belly after he scored to away fans who'd spent the whole game calling him a fat bastard (Oldham I think)

The poor/stupid lass who left a house behind the lever end just at the final whistle with manyoo tat in the back window and ended up with her car getting rolled over.

Two 30,000 plus home games in a week back end of 1977 (was it Spurs in the league and Leeds in LC?).

The Liverpool home game end of 79, they stuffed us 4-1 in front of 35k and I've never seen the (smaller) away bit of the embankment so crammed full.

Blackburn maybe the year before (?)  - they had the bigger embankment bit and I remember, from the Paddock, watching a small group of Bolton fighting their way down from the top to the bottom - as they made their down and the Blackburn fans parted,  it was like a tear falling down the face of a God of adversity.

Arsenal Cup game and some mouthy cockney getting led out passed the front of the Paddock only to get lamped full in the mush by a milk crate someone lobbed over.

Much later Arsenal game - that berk with the paraglider.

Sheffield Wednesday fan marooned on the Paddock spikes as two of his mates desperately tried to pull him over while Bolton fans waded into to him - included someone frantically lamping him with a crash helmet.

Spurs fans booting anything that moved as old folk etc came out of the Paddock - probably at the end of the aforementioned Spurs game.

Ref Roger Kirkpatrick doing his signature moves as he came out to applause at the last game of 79; and the hoards of fans waiting on the bridge to get back at the relatively few Spurs fans there for their recent actions. "God help them" I remember thinking. I would not have fancied being a cockney that day.

Bloody IRA closing the motorways on the day of the Charlton match - managed to get a train up, but some London Whites only got as far as  boozer in Matlock and the tv.

Leeds turning Manny Road into carnage before the game in 1978.

Dicing with death on the snowed up Paddock slope on the way our after the abandoned Everton game.

Outnumbered (literally - more of us than them in total I'm sure) by away fans at the Filth game 79-80. But fuck that - the 3-0 the year before beats anything. Remember a Manc booting off towards the back of the Paddock and he ended up being dangled - quite literally - by his hair by a copper leaning over from the seats.

Spanish lad who was at our place  - big Valencia fan and was a lucky omen as he came down to the Reading playoff. So he came up to the first game in the PL home to Newcastle midweek. I suspect he expected a glitzy top flight scenario and surroundings; but when we parked by the Sweet Green walked down past derelict factory buildings he realised isn't wasn't quite like that.  " Fucking 'ell, eet's like zee Bronx" was all he could say as he hurried on. I couldn't really argue.