Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

So What's It Going To Be Like In Div 1?

salop wanderer

Wanderer through and through but been working for a current League 1 club for 9 years now. In that time - most of it spent in L2 - I've seen a lot of lower league football and it's going to be really hard for us. There are plenty of good sides down here and clubs with bigger fan bases than ours that have struggled to make the kind of impact you might expect of a 'bigger club.' Coventry, Sheff United, Pompey are all decent examples of this. Macron will be the best stadium in the division and teams will raise their game against us. There are also some bloody good managers down there. Neil McDonald (now where did he come from?) is performing miracles at Blackpool, Nigel Adkins at the Blades, Clough continuing the good work done by JFH at Burton, Tony Mowbray, Phil Parkinson, somebody Brown... take your pick.  

Things are grim in BL6. Ultimately where I'm at right now, is that somehow we can come out of this with a football club to support and in its current guise. You can't let almost 140 years of history simply disappear and if relegation is the worst that comes out of this - even a double relegation - I'd rip your arm off for that. As an aside, I was reliably informed yesterday by someone who is highly regarded in the game and has fantastic contacts in Lancashire, that any LAND deals would go directly to ED and not to the football club.

Good post Salop.

That is the reality we are facing, ideally I'd like to see us rebuild in league 1 with the good youngsters but it will be tough.

The 80's were scarily similar, division 1 to division 4 in seven years, and we are on course to match that demise.

I just don't want any of this to be happening. It's like a living nightmare.

We all speak about it every day but I still can't my head around how it's been allowed to happen.

I posted in another thread but obviously I speak to quite a few Blackpool and Fleetwood fans and they say the quality is no different when comparing the bottom 7-8 in our league and top 7-8 in league 1. My biggest fear is going and not coming back. Like Salop says bigger fish than us have gone and are still rattling round there.

The aways will be an adventure for the hardcore of course,but the homes will take any edge off that. It's going to be embarrassing and an awful experience on a weekly basis.

If we somehow stave of admin,going into a league 1 season with this shower of shit bunch of cowards we have playing for us fills me with dread. They'll get twatted from pillar to post.

It's going to take something remarkable for us to stay up now. Only a new manager bounce could save it.

As you say Gonzo, it really is hard to comprehend how we've got to this point. And the fact nobody within the club has accepted responsibility for any of it, or given any kind of explanation, let alone offered an apology, for running our club into the ground makes things even worse. All those patronising statements from Gartside over the years whenever anyone questioned how we'd just lost £30m the previous year and £25m the year before that, even when the good times were in full swing and the TV money was flowing in..."it's not real debt, it's all thanks to Eddie - he's a saint you know, Bolton's number one fan, loves this club" blah fucking blah. Literally anybody off the street with absolutely no business sense whatsoever couldn't have made a worse job of it. Totally beggars belief.

• Moderators

As you say Gonzo, it really is hard to comprehend how we've got to this point. And the fact nobody within the club has accepted responsibility for any of it, or given any kind of explanation, let alone offered an apology, for running our club into the ground makes things even worse. All those patronising statements from Gartside over the years whenever anyone questioned how we'd just lost £30m the previous year and £25m the year before that, even when the good times were in full swing and the TV money was flowing in..."it's not real debt, it's all thanks to Eddie - he's a saint you know, Bolton's number one fan, loves this club" blah fucking blah. Literally anybody off the street with absolutely no business sense whatsoever couldn't have made a worse job of it. Totally beggars belief.

The debt you ramble on about was not and is not an issue

Only the recent debt and our cash flow is the problem

Cash flow deficit that you amongst others were arguing should be added to only months ago