Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Very Happy Memories Of Phil Gartside

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Let's hope Sam buried the hatchet and with good grace. Sad what happened between Sam and PG don't know who was to blame but it was all downhill from that day on.

From what I've heard pg offered an apology. Don't think that means he was to blame, just wanted to clear the air. It would no doubt have eased Sam's conscious, and it reckon it takes balls to do it.

"It was obviously devastating news for them and me," Allardyce told Sky Sports News HQ. "I was aware of the illness but kept that close to myself and obviously my condolences go out to the family.

"My memories are great, even though later on we may not have seen eye-to-eye.

"The journey we took from 1999 to 2007 was magical and we took that journey together.

"We basically rebuilt a football club that achieved great success and those are the memories I have of Phil."

Thank you - it's nice to read Sam speaking highly yet honestly about him.  

Great thread

Never met him myself but some fantastic tales

It's been a shocking period for the club but times like this give us all the time to stop and reflect. Let's hope some good can come from such bad news and as a club we leverage the sadness against turning the club back round once more.

As ED said the club will survive and we will protect Phil's legacy

When I met Phil I was slightly tipsy and he was very good with me. Thank you and rest in peace.

Ditto. I only met him once - at the Fulham away match last season. I was there on corporate so I'd had a few before kick off. Was in the Directors box a few seats away from him. We were 3-0 down at half time and it had never been clearer that Dougie had to go. After a few more half-time drinks I decided to have a quick word with Phil on my way back to my seat. Security quickly came to intervene and despite my being more than a little tipsy he sent them packing. We chatted for a few minutes until the second half kicked off. At 4-0 I'd had enough and decided to head back to the bar. On my way there I bumped into him on the stairs and we got talking again. We ended up spending half an hour stood by the Thames discussing anything and everything Bolton. He looked like a man who was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders and the tears in his eyes as we discussed our plight and the inevitability of Dougie leaving will live with me forever. As we parted ways he asked for my number and I gave him a card. The next day he sent me a text thanking me for our chat. He didn't need to do that. Despite what a lot of people have said and written about him over recent months I will remember him as a genuine man who cared passionately about the club and only ever wanted the best for it. RIP Phil

Ditto. I only met him once - at the Fulham away match last season. I was there on corporate so I'd had a few before kick off. Was in the Directors box a few seats away from him. We were 3-0 down at half time and it had never been clearer that Dougie had to go. After a few more half-time drinks I decided to have a quick word with Phil on my way back to my seat. Security quickly came to intervene and despite my being more than a little tipsy he sent them packing. We chatted for a few minutes until the second half kicked off. At 4-0 I'd had enough and decided to head back to the bar. On my way there I bumped into him on the stairs and we got talking again. We ended up spending half an hour stood by the Thames discussing anything and everything Bolton. He looked like a man who was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders and the tears in his eyes as we discussed our plight and the inevitability of Dougie leaving will live with me forever. As we parted ways he asked for my number and I gave him a card. The next day he sent me a text thanking me for our chat. He didn't need to do that. Despite what a lot of people have said and written about him over recent months I will remember him as a genuine man who cared passionately about the club and only ever wanted the best for it. RIP Phil

So YOU sacked Dougie Freedman? :D

• Moderators

Look a bit of a dick sat at work with a lump of coal in my eyes

Folk giving PG shit on social media need to see this post.

Never met him but did speak to him on a couple of occasions on the 'phone.

The most memorable was when we were 'twixt managers (either after BSA or LSL) and Glenn Hoddle was being touted as a possible replacement. I had no issue with Hoddle as a manager but I did with his odious views on disability and I emailed PG to tell him how (for personal reasons) unhappy I would be if he were to be employed by BWFC.

His response, and I quote from his email, was: "I can assure you that will not happen under my stewardship of the club"

I also spoke to him on another occasion about trying to organise a 'Galacticos' night to get all those who had left (Youri, JJ, Campo, Hierro etc) back for one final game to officially thank them for the great times we'd had. We spoke for about an hour on that and a number of other things and I was very grateful to have had the opportunity to speak to him.

Thanks Phil. R.I.P.

Remember him being interviewed on GMR after a win at OT and he was watching in the exec box when Bolton had scored and he let rip with a roar.

He was told that wasn't appropriate due to all the scum about.

His reply was "sod them".

Folk giving PG shit on social media need to see this post.

This.

Loving this thread. Never met the guy in a personal capacity but to me it was obviously quite clear how much the club meant to him.

These stories are just backing up that perception

• Site Supporter

I doubt any other chairman in the top 2 divisions would do that.

Again. One of us.

Me and other half saw him outside QPR away earlier this season, on his phone, we'd walked out after their 4th went in, said cheer up Phil, he nodded hello while on his phone, my OH said he's lost weight, little did we know. 63 is fucking shit. He was a proper Wanderer, whatever the commemoration is should be fully observed, those that hate him stay away. As they do anyway

• Site Supporter

Unfortunately I never met him, but I know people who knew him, and none of them ever had a bad word to say. Relatives of mine spent a lot of time with him and Big Sam during the glory years, and they always said he was a great bloke who never stood for any airs and graces.

I honestly don't believe that anybody REALLY thinks he's to blame for the current situation.

Unfortunately I never met him, but I know people who knew him, and none of them ever had a bad word to say. Relatives of mine spent a lot of time with him and Big Sam during the glory years, and they always said he was a great bloke who never stood for any airs and graces.

I honestly don't believe that anybody REALLY thinks he's to blame for the current situation.

Thats for another thread, whether he is or isn't is not up for debate in this one.