Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 1 Sheff Utd 0

globaldiver

Opening day win, i don't care how, we've won a league game in August virtually unheard of.

A clean sheet, 10 men for final 10 mins, goal of the season contender, all fine bonuses.

Fine, no width (pitch has been made narrower so its clearly a "thing") an injury and a few ropey performances. But its the Third Division this, I've no expectations of free flowing football.

We won, I'd rather be in our shoes than our stuck in this league for eternity opponents

Really good turnout today, yes they contributed loads to the gate but there were still about 13k of ours on and they got behind the team really well. Great effort compared to how Wigan's gates dipped last year and the numbers on up the road at Ewood for a pretty attractive game

Edited by ianofrochdale

Just back, really good win, first 20 definitely a bit hairy, rode luck. BUT, after we scored, saw a lot to like. Pragmatism, discipline, game management, organisation from the side without it being hysterical shouting and waving.

If Pratley hadn't got injured we'd have seen it out comfortably. Howard a steady sort at back and I take back my scepticism of midweek about Whether, had a great game. Beevers bit wobbly early but got better, Buxton will be all right, solid sort. Howard steady, did what he had to without any flapping. Vela struggled to get involved but did buy into what was required and worked harder than he has for a long time.

Still a few square pegs in round holes, one or two out of necessity, others perhaps on purpose to suit PP's system, but we found a way to win a game we probably shouldn't have, after at least a season of doing the opposite. That can only be good for confidence and belief.

Really enjoyed today, even though I was on my tod :friends:  Thought the Blades were much the better team, until Spearing scored and then after that, we seemed to settle and I thought we were the better team, especially in the 2nd half.

Wheater & Beevers should be sound in this league, I thought Spearing had a decent game and washing machine had a good game too.

We still need a right winger, as Wilson isn't the answer and a quality poacher is needed too, but overall, delighted with a win and a clean sheet playing against the title favourites.

I remember that game in 84, I was int burnden paddock and they took it.

I was aged about 20 and a guy, Sheffield u fan about 28 walked down the steps and stood at the front, (near Darren) turned round and offered anybody a go. I thought about it for what seemed like an eternity, and decided, reluctantly, not to. I think that was the last time I turned down an offer. Probably the right decision tho! :)

Brill atmosphere in the second half, the corner of the north stand lower (where I sit) were fantastic!

• Site Supporter

Thought madine played well and did what he supposed to. Not a lone man but tried.same as proctor.

Considering we bought buxton yesterday and he doesnt know the team he did well.

Wheater and beevers will do for me.

Trotter needs a massive confidence boost but he was under pressure that last ten.

Moxey.. no complaints

Howardseems sturdy

Wilson seems to lose his man.. not sure if this is intentional.

I think we've got 3 games now in 11 days, Blackpool on Tuesday, Wimbledon next Saturday and Bristol Rovers the following Wednesday. It's going to be a very long season and I think we need a couple more additions asap, especially if Pratley is injured.

• Site Supporter

we should of been 3 or 4 down after 25 mins,  however after the goal we grew in confidence ,as others have said we need a goal scorer, proctor looked versatile when he came on.

madaine is not the way forward.

great win onwards and hopefully upwards.

listening to gmr on the way home it kicked off at bury after the match

I think we've got 3 games now in 11 days, Blackpool on Tuesday, Wimbledon next Saturday and Bristol Rovers the following Wednesday. It's going to be a very long season and I think we need a couple more additions asap, especially if Pratley is injured.

Pratley played attacking midfield today. We have Clough and Clayton who can play that role. And trotter who did it against Burnley. And then samidazeh.

If there's a position we can cope with its that position

First 20 minutes were ropey but they only had one real chance. After that we were comfortable bar the last 10-15 mins when we were downto 10 men.

We still looked a bit disjointed for a while but that will get better as they get games in. Wilson was wank on the right but not really his fault.

Fantastic win against a fancied team, we have got a good few gears to move through before we hit top form so still work to do but we are on our way.

Buzzing after that win, can't believe we've actually won the first match of the season!

Beevers and Wheater could make a solid partnership at the back and Buxton will be fine once he gets to know the players more. Spearing had a great game, hopefully he's not picked up a knock that'll keep him out. Fingers crossed Pratley isn't out long term, but it looked quite nasty.

• Site Supporter

We have a huge problem in shifting the losing mentality at the club but hopefully that goes some way towards it. A win away before August is through and a couple of solid home wins then who knows what can happen. Dreaming already of a great day in Port Vale to banish the memories of the drop at their dearest friends.

I love my club

The number of times the ball came across the 6yd box and no one got a touch on it in the first 20mins was terrifying.

From then on we gained control of the game.

Madine was a bit isolated though so hopefully once we're settled in we can get folk up and around him.

Off the pitch today was still a fucking shambles but at least on the pitch was much better than recent years.

Despite nearly 20yrs at the stadium the club still struggles to do things right. If you sell parking permits for a particular car park, close half of it and then allow folk to pay to park on there as well you're going to cause problems. Two broken beer pumps at the nsl kiosk wasn't a great start either.

Edited by frank_spencer

Wheater beavers spearing the stand out players for me

Also good performances from Howard Buxton and vela

On the downside Madine was poor again along with Taylor (did he touch the ball) but a good result against one of the fancied sides, need 4 points from next 2 away games to get some momentum. Decent crowd as well unlike rovers who could only muster 11000 home fans for an attractive first match against Norwich, TINPOT!!!

Off the pitch today was still a fucking shambles but at least on the pitch was much better than recent years.

Despite nearly 20yrs at the stadium the club still struggles to do things right. If you sell parking permits for a particular car park, close half of it and then allow folk to pay to park on there as well you're going to cause problems. Two broken beer pumps at the nsl kiosk wasn't a great start either.

Yeah, not a big shock is it? I have a parking permit for car park C and you can normally hang the permit on your inside mirror when you arrive at the entrance, but not this year, I had to wave it around to the car park steward, like I was Mr Bean or someone and he wasn't even looking! 

Edited by Blondi

I'll be happy enough with a 1-0 & 3 points on the board

After Saturday, I'm more confident that PP can get them organised for enough for a shut out, as long as it's Howard in goal & not Amos.

I'm happy enough

It's only taken me 4 games to work out Parkinson's plan though, I hope other managers don't so quickly.

The gap between the midfield & lone striker is far too large & no pace in the middle to catch up with forward play.

Just keep on giving us 3 points Parky & I couldn't give a toss about the negatives.

Except Madine.

Madine can Fook off.

The tart.

They had no bottles of water at one single kiosk in ESL.

They'd also ran out of pretty much every other product come halfway through half time. They ended up giving out plastic cups of tap water at one kiosk after folk booted off that it was like the surface of Mars upstairs and it was their responsibility to provide hydration and sanitation to paying customers.

On the pitch can't complain at all. Great atmosphere and the little lad loved it.

Well that was a bit dour but still great to see us physically matching our opponents & grinding out a win.

Wheater & Beevers were commanding in defence & should cause a few problems up front with their power in the air, Madine did well winning his headers & holding the ball up but was too isolated, but Spearing was MOM for the excellent work he did in front of the defence & the bonus of his goal,

Hurrah.