Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Working Week

Sweep

Malcolm, I've been wondering about this. Before one retires/gives up work do you plan how you fill your days?

I had a plan to begin by sorting 2 boxes of miscellaneous papers and athletics programmes, but that didn't happen until I sorted one a few months ago.

The second will just have to wait.

Mornings are taken up with exercises, 25 minute round trip to get Telegraph (and Sunday Times every seventh day), cooking breakfast, reading paper and eating breakfast, completing (without fail) the sujikos and kakuro, having a bath followed by a second set of exercises, in good time for Sweeney's golden hour from 11.

Afternoons generally involve reading, followed by more cooking, with some radio/TV.

But I'm about to go into nightshift mode from tomorrow, as the athletics is generally 1.30pm to 4pm plus midnight to 3am.

I've had enough of 7am to 7pm days, and before that 35 hours paid work plus 50 hours thankless team management, and I don't wish to sit on any committees ever again.

• Site Supporter

I had a plan to begin by sorting 2 boxes of miscellaneous papers and athletics programmes, but that didn't happen until I sorted one a few months ago.

Mornings are taken up with exercises, 25 minute round trip to get Telegraph (and Sunday Times every seventh day), cooking breakfast, reading paper and eating breakfast, completing (without fail) the sujikos and kakuro, having a bath followed by a second set of exercises, in good time for Sweeney's golden hour from 11.

Afternoons generally involve reading, followed by more cooking, with some radio/TV.

But I'm about to go into nightshift mode from tomorrow, as the athletics is generally 1.30pm to 4pm plus midnight to 3am.

I've had enough of 7am to 7pm days, and before that 35 hours paid work plus 50 hours thankless team management, and I don't wish to sit on any committees ever again.

Clockwork.

Absolute clockwork.

40hrs here which inevitably means more as 40 hrs chargeable time must go on time sheet.

NZ is pretty draconian anyway e.g no statutory redundancy, paid paternity leave or paid breaks.

Or, as a migrant, any entitlement to benefits for 2 years!

Edited by jayjayoghani

Exercise? 2 wanks a day, fair play Malc ????

8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, with an hour for lunch (40 hours total).

Salaried though, so I regularly take longer lunches, a half hour for breakfast every day. Also, I go to the free gym here so I get here at 6.30am or so then work out for an hour, usually end up leaving around 4.30pm.

It's not very well managed, now I think about it.

I admire his Germanesque efficiency. I'm scared I'm going to loaf.

Don't be scared. Loafing is an artform, personally I can't wait until I get the chance to perfect it

I'd be way better at being retired than I am at my job.

I don't mind my job, but as a cleverer man than me once said "it pays my way but it corrodes my soul".

Edited by mickbrown

Don't be scared. Loafing is an artform, personally I can't wait until I get the chance to perfect it

I'd be way better at being retired than I am at my job.

I don't mind my job, but as a cleverer man than me once said "it pays my way but it corrodes my soul".

what a great saying. I'm having that one, cheers

Mon 11

Tues 9

Wed 11

Thurs 9

Fri 5

Total 45 without the hours I spend in my car

I'm a proper grafter

Big E reckons he used to work twice as hard as you, so he really must have put the hours in. He reckons you spend most of your time in the disabled bogs knocking one out