Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Winx

bolty58

Interesting to see they didn't hang her as far back this time.

Benbatl ran really well, beaten by a far better horse, though.

I thought they might have gone off a bit quicker than they did as a moderate pace plays into Winx's hands even more. That said, I can't see her ever getting beaten unless she travels overseas. Benbatl is the first decent horse she's raced against.

• Members

Can't take any thanks for tipping a $1.30 shot mate!

Now, if you'd backed her for her first Cox Plate win at $6.50 like I did that would be different! I got $3.50 for her second.

Traf is spot on. Curious that they didn't slap the pace on to get her out of her comfort zone (or at least try to). It was clear the race was over 700m out.

• Members
6 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Yeah, perhaps in a neutral venue. Sadly can't see it ever happening

Nah, they're making all the signs of preserving her now for the breeding barn. Guessing she will have a final fling back in Sydney in the Autumn to say bye to her 'home' fans. There'll be two or three relative 'gimme' Group One's for her to sign off with in glory (All Aged Stakes etc.)

• Members
13 hours ago, L/H White said:

get frankel to give her one and make a super horse :D

Funny thing is, in my experience they very often don't throw anything that's any good.

Black Caviar has failed to do so. My all time favourite horse (Dancing Brave) threw a Derby winner in Commander in Chief, a dud and then proved a dud himself at stud.

Conversely, nondescript horses can produce freaks. I got on to one some years ago down here called Rough Habit. A proper war horse. Sway back and unfashionable breeding (a non entity of a sire called Roughcast and the dam was a fucking quarter horse!). Was a brute of a thing that won a string of group races and I did very well out of him.

The breeding barn is a lottery.

On 29/10/2018 at 13:25, Traf said:

There's one for sale in December bred from Frankel and Japanese champion Vodka, a winner of 7 Group 1 races.

On 30/10/2018 at 00:26, bolty58 said:

Reet C. Let's club together. You in R?

Yes, why not. Just send me the details :D

I've actually got some small shares in a horse ready to make it's 2yo debut.

It's only small and just a bit of fun with one of my mates.

back to winx, having watched both the kentucky derby and the cox plate this year, I must say they are proper spectacles 

the commentator on saturday was brilliant to, made it very exciting 

Edited by L/H White

• Members
14 hours ago, L/H White said:

Yes, why not. Just send me the details :D

I've actually got some small shares in a horse ready to make it's 2yo debut.

It's only small and just a bit of fun with one of my mates.

back to winx, having watched both the kentucky derby and the cox plate this year, I must say they are proper spectacles 

the commentator on saturday was brilliant to, made it very exciting 

Tell you what though mate - Moonee Valley is a terrible place to watch races live. Unless you have a seat in the stand, you can hardly see a fucking thing if it wasn't for giant screens.

I was there when Northerly won his first for WA. I just caught a glimpse of the jockeys colours as he smashed through the winning line. Had it not been for the commentary over the PA and a massive West Australian contingent in front of me going fucking ballistic, I wouldn't have had a clue what was happening.

I go to Flemington some years (magnificent week that is and the best day is coming up this Saturday - Victoria Derby Day - the first day of the week long carnival) and viewing from anywhere on the course is superb.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Prohibitively priced for a long time now mate. I was lucky enough to spot the potential when she was well beaten by a subsequent flop called Gust of Wind in the 2015 Australian Oaks. I got 6.50 about her for her first Cox Plate win on the day but had been backing her ante post for a good while starting in double figures. Had a lot of good collects from her before the tomato sauce odds became too small and too commonplace.

Unbackable now unless you're a millionaire but still a privilege to see her going around. One more race and then it's a life of being pampered and regularly rogered for her. According to Waller (trainer), The Autumn Sun is his replacement 'stable star'. I have been following him for a good while now and another one amassing a 'picket fence' string of wins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

A date with Frankel?

Just for sentimental reasons I had to have a last punt on her. Combined her in a treble with THFC and the West Coast Eagles at a massive 1.50! better than 1.06 though and it came in!

A nice dinner for all the family at Shige in East Perth on the weekend of my daughters birthday so thanks for the memories and Tempura Prawns, Winx.