Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

List Of Long Gone Pubs In Bolton You Haved Supped In But Just Naming One.

leigh white

Is that the one near the train track and river Croal?

Walked past it the other day (if it is that one) and thought it looked like it would have been a decent pub back in the day, shame. Now it's just falling apart with cocks graffitied all over it.

Is that the Croal? I thought it was Middlebrook!

A great local back in the late 80s to late 90s

Shame

Walked past it the other day (if it is that one) and thought it looked like it would have been a decent pub back in the day, shame. Now it's just falling apart with cocks graffitied all over it.

Is that the Croal? I thought it was Middlebrook!

A great local back in the late 80s to late 90s

Shame

Yes it is the Middlebrook.

It's a shame that such a decent pub in a fairy affluent area is now derelict.

Like BD said, it was a great place for a sup in the 80's/90's.

Used to do food on match days, and a free mini bus over to the ground, was indeed a decent pre match pub.

Damn, That's really shit what's happened to it then. It's in an ideal place too given the area and train station. I know it's been in its current state for some years but when did it actually close?

Will they eventually be building some terrible looking flats there or something?

Wish I'd have been old enough to drink there, haha.

Edited by deane koontz

Damn, That's really shit what's happened to it then. It's in an ideal place too given the area and train station. I know it's been in its current state for some years but when did it actually close?

Will they eventually be building some terrible looking flats there or something?

Wish I'd have been old enough to drink there, haha.

During my youth it was a pub uncouth associates would refer to as being full of 'fanny' (women) - rough lads would shanghai one lad with a car to drive up there and stick to a pint whilst the others had a few.

Tavern on Hunger Hill on Sunday was another...

I can see it becoming terrible looking flats (Lostock Arms), there's some the other side of the train station, the type that are in a pastiche of a twee house, six storey ones, that fool nobody, look great for ten years and will look dogshit after that.

I've been thinking about pubs shutting, I reckon' a lot of it is due to lads (and lasses) my age preferring to spend time and/or money with/on their kids, the fools, haven't they ever heard the term 'familiarity breeds contempt'?

Kids need leaving on their own, how else do you learn essential life skills like; changing a plug, crafting a bong, patching a hole in a drywall etc.?

That's the approach the pub industry should use in advertising.

"Hey Parents - leave those kids alone! Mollycoddling children does nobody any favours, so give them a doorkey and get down the pub..."

Edited by Youri McAnespie