Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Belting Sky Deal

superbobby

• Moderators

Does anybody have any need for those speeds? I'm fine on a tenth of that.

i was once told i was a long way from the exchange and it affected my speeds, dunno if thats still the case

anyway, with vm im on up to 70 - sure it started at up to 10 and just keeps getting 'free' upgrades

actually get 50 dl and 5up

works for streaming netflix, xbox and 3 or four tablets/phones

• Moderators

We are 5 miles+ from the exchange so old school broadband over copper is slow as fuck, like 2mb, you can still stream stuff and use phones/tablets whatever. It's just not reliable enough to work off, which is why fibre is "better", but more £. Fibre is optical so doesn't degrade over 5 miles, or across the Atlantic, as I had to explain to the Sky people.

• Moderators

We are 5 miles+ from the exchange so old school broadband over copper is slow as fuck, like 2mb, you can still stream stuff and use phones/tablets whatever. It's just not reliable enough to work off, which is why fibre is "better", but more £. Fibre is optical so doesn't degrade over 5 miles, or across the Atlantic, as I had to explain to the Sky people.

Ah, so like hdmi then

Remember you once explaining the old optical stuff

I put 10 x 50m hdmi cables in on a job last year - plenty experts told me it couldn't be done

• Moderators

HDMI is only supposed to work over a small distance, I believe you can get an extender, dunno, I only have 1m.

Copper pair is decades old technology where it is proven that noise means it drops off massively over distance and 5km is about as far as you want to go i.e. not 6.8km like me.

sweep, any idea what contract garrp took out on that sky deal, i wouldn't mind getting the same one

I think he got a really good deal but he had to sign up for 18 months, and I think he paid for the majority of it up-front, in order to get the best deal.