Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

I've polished off 3 bottles of Woodford Reserve bourbon since early December.

I found Woodford Reserve a real let-down - didn't enjoy it at all. Same with the Jack Daniels Single Barrel (that gave me seriously bad heartburn)

Gentleman Jack and Makers Mark are my preferred tipple and I did enjoy the JD White Rabbit when that was knocking around

I'll give that Distillers Edition a go

Only Scotch I've ever enjoyed was Monkey Shoulder

work for diageo, as guinness quality rep.

paid to drink beer...

plus get a nice allowance twice a year to buy any of our products from the staff shop...

not really that glamorous  :drinks:     

It is compared to my line of work :)  I'm quite partial to a Guinness n all . . .

Whilst Diageo could do with going a bit more down the 'craft presentation' route with their whiskys they have some fine distilleries in their stable!

Clynelish is a recently discovered (by me) pearler

work for diageo, as guinness quality rep.

paid to drink beer...

plus get a nice allowance twice a year to buy any of our products from the staff shop...

Kent and I had a mutal friend who did that whilst at uni and for a couple of years after.

Enjoyed popping along to some of the sales meetings. That was years ago now though.

• Site Supporter

It is compared to my line of work :)  I'm quite partial to a Guinness n all . . .

Whilst Diageo could do with going a bit more down the 'craft presentation' route with their whiskys they have some fine distilleries in their stable!

Clynelish is a recently discovered (by me) pearler

prefer irish malts myself

they used to own bushmills, but traded it to get don julio tequila.

there has been a 30% increase in non scotch whisky sales, so have used an old brand name roe and co and start production in 2019

prefer irish malts myself

they used to own bushmills, but traded it to get don julio tequila.

there has been a 30% increase in non scotch whisky sales, so have used an old brand name roe and co and start production in 2019

Likes a bit of Irish me sen but still loads i want to try.  I've got a bottle of 10 year old Dunvile's single malt waiting to be opened and a Redbreast 12.

Has Bushmills gone better or worse?

Surely once something is 40% ethanol then any difference in the taste has got to be negligible at best? It's all a bit emporers new clothes for me!

It depends on the quality of the spirit at the end of the day I'd say, but I believe the alcohol carries the flavours so more alcohol . . .  

I've had 10 year olds at 43% and a ten year old at 57% from the same distillery and they are very different.  It also depends on your own tastes. 

The non-chill filtering also helps.  Keeps more of the fatty oils in and it's thicker in your mouth.  Honest ;) 

Some whiskys at 40% and CF etc can still be bloody good though!

I am a self-confessed whisky geek though so . . .

Likes a bit of Irish me sen but still loads i want to try.  I've got a bottle of 10 year old Dunvile's single malt waiting to be opened and a Redbreast 12.

Has Bushmills gone better or worse?

Irish is the only whiskey that I really drink other than Bourbon. White label Bushmills I find a bit rough so whenever I have to go to the office in Dublin I always bring a bottle of Black Bush back from Dublin airport

I discovered Redbreast when I was on a long weekend down in Kinsale - that was an absolute delight - they had about 10 varieties in the bar each of which was nectar - it was the day Reading beat us 7-1 so it helped soothe the pain!!!!

Irish is the only whiskey that I really drink other than Bourbon. White label Bushmills I find a bit rough so whenever I have to go to the office in Dublin I always bring a bottle of Black Bush back from Dublin airport

I discovered Redbreast when I was on a long weekend down in Kinsale - that was an absolute delight - they had about 10 varieties in the bar each of which was nectar - it was the day Reading beat us 7-1 so it helped soothe the pain!!!!

Aye can't wait to try the Redbreast - I like the pot still stuff.

Bushmills original i find OK for the price but the Black Bush is a nice drop.

Best medicine on Earth, whisky! ;) 

It's one of those drinks that when you get a good one it's absolute nectar but a bad one can put you off for life

I really struggled at first after being given a mouthful of Bell's for toothache as a kid. If I'm honest it was a mate over here that introduced me to JD and Coke that got me drinking JD - progressed it on from there to JD and ice and then experimentation with other bourbons, Irish whiskeys and Scotches 

It's one of those drinks that when you get a good one it's absolute nectar but a bad one can put you off for life

I really struggled at first after being given a mouthful of Bell's for toothache as a kid. If I'm honest it was a mate over here that introduced me to JD and Coke that got me drinking JD - progressed it on from there to JD and ice and tmyselfbourbon hen experimentation with other bourbons, Irish whiskeys and Scotches 

Used to drink the odd Jameson or JW black after a few beers but only really got into it through bourbon myself - Bulleit.  Never was a fan of JD

Ardbeg 10 was the real converter to scotch - tastes like nothing else.

• Site Supporter

Used to drink the odd Jameson or JW black after a few beers but only really got into it through bourbon myself - Bulleit.  Never was a fan of JD

Ardbeg 10 was the real converter to scotch - tastes like nothing else.

Just had a drop of this, got it free as a sample when ordered with MoM at Christmas.

Their marketing ploy worked as I'll be ordering a bottle of this, really good.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-macallan/the-macallan-12-year-old-fine-oak-whisky/?srh=1

Just had a drop of this, got it free as a sample when ordered with MoM at Christmas.

Their marketing ploy worked as I'll be ordering a bottle of this, really good.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-macallan/the-macallan-12-year-old-fine-oak-whisky/?srh=1

They're an ace online retailer. I love how the bottles come in little 'air beds' - My cat goes ape shit popping em!

I got a 'whisky santa' sample of 8 yo Lagavullin.  Awesome stuff.  Nice little unexpected treat that was!

Only tried 1 Macallan, which i liked, but they seem quite highly priced.

Bit out of my £ range at the minute but this one is supposed to be awesome if you like your Macs

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-macallan/the-macallan-edition-no-2-whisky/

I find going on that site like flicking through the Argos catalogue at xmas when I was a kid . . . my Bday next week and I really have no need to buy anymore but have already drawn up a list ;)

This being  top of it - A 7 yo Coal Ila at cask strength . . . . mmmmmm!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/speciality-drinks/port-askaig-100-proof-speciality-drinks-whisky/?srh=1

• Moderators

Is it any wonder I'm a cynic about reviewers

Get this

Nose: Nectarines, sugared almonds and vanilla toffee. Spicy oak and golden malt lend a good balance to the sweet opening notes.

Palate: Good sherried malt in here, rich and sweet with plump raisins. Developing orange peel notes. Warm oak at the core.

Finish: Quite long with vanilla and sultana.

What a crock of shit

Is it any wonder I'm a cynic about reviewers

Get this

Nose: Nectarines, sugared almonds and vanilla toffee. Spicy oak and golden malt lend a good balance to the sweet opening notes.

Palate: Good sherried malt in here, rich and sweet with plump raisins. Developing orange peel notes. Warm oak at the core.

Finish: Quite long with vanilla and sultana.

What a crock of shit

Aye it can get a bit OTT but i've genuinely been surprised by the variety of flavours and smells in scotch whisky, particularly. Some taste like tar and smoke whereas some are like xmas cake, or a jar of honey etc.  They also vary massively in mouth feel etc - 'form' I believe it's called ;)

I can smell a good whisky for ages and pick out a few different things but when it comes to tasting it I'd say I get 2-3 flavours at the most and they're variations on a theme.  I only really do this with a new bottle - once I'm 'familiar' it just gets supped.  Still, paying £30+ for any spirit to me means I want to get the most out of every drop! 

When I eat my tea I savour every mouthful, why should drinking whisky (or ale, wine etc) be any different?

Not all reviewers/reviews are as flowery, some are worse, mind; but yeah, I'm quite cynical about anyone that takes it too seriously . . .

Edited by madthatter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

I was bought a bottle of Abalor single malt and a bottle of decent brandy when I retired.

I've just found out that whenever MrsD poured me a Bailleys she also put in a generous measure of either brandy or whisky.

Fucking wondered why I was feeling the alcohol after one glass.

Glad this want that regular.

Edited by MickyD

• Site Supporter

Aye it can get a bit OTT but i've genuinely been surprised by the variety of flavours and smells in scotch whisky, particularly. Some taste like tar and smoke whereas some are like xmas cake, or a jar of honey etc.  They also vary massively in mouth feel etc - 'form' I believe it's called ;)

I can smell a good whisky for ages and pick out a few different things but when it comes to tasting it I'd say I get 2-3 flavours at the most and they're variations on a theme.  I only really do this with a new bottle - once I'm 'familiar' it just gets supped.  Still, paying £30+ for any spirit to me means I want to get the most out of every drop! 

When I eat my tea I savour every mouthful, why should drinking whisky (or ale, wine etc) be any different?

Not all reviewers/reviews are as flowery, some are worse, mind; but yeah, I'm quite cynical about anyone that takes it too seriously . . .

Very true.

Listening to Gilly Goolden can put you off, but we've done a number of vineyards in this country and tasting and chatting to the producers you really can pick out some tastes and aromas. Ultimately though if you don't like something no point pretending otherwise!