Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

Boo; will you be adhering to the legal side of things? :)

Out of interest, when does home distilling become illegal?  I mean do you need a licence or is it if you go over a certain amount of ltrs?

Edited by madthatter

• Site Supporter

That link earlier had some info.

You need a permit apparently depending upon the amount.

For commercial stuff; well years ago I went to the Edradour distillery, where they claimed to have the smallest legal still.

Not fully in the know on stuff like this but the tax authorities will have a website site somewhere.

That link earlier had some info.

You need a permit apparently depending upon the amount.

For commercial stuff; well years ago I went to the Edradour distillery, where they claimed to have the smallest legal still.

Not fully in the know on stuff like this but the tax authorities will have a website site somewhere.

Ta :)   I know it's bloody hard work to get a commercial distilling licence and open a distillery.

Helps if you know the right folk, apparently (and are willing to offer a few casks to a certain family) ;) 

Did wonder once whether to put together my own still using glassware from the lab.

Make my own wine then refine it!

After visiting distilleries I decided against it as I didn't want to take the risk of consuming methanol or some such.

Aye remember making ethanol from Newcastle Brown back in school!

It's why i asked before as I hear some of the first stuff off the stills can be lethal.  Those Highland 'bootleggers' back in the day must have been very skilled.

• Site Supporter

Aye remember making ethanol from Newcastle Brown back in school!

It's why i asked before as I hear some of the first stuff off the stills can be lethal.  Those Highland 'bootleggers' back in the day must have been very skilled.

There's a tiny amount of methanol produced in fermentation iirc. Distillation can concentrate this up, so you chuck away fractions that might be a bit dodgy.

• 2 months later...

Can't stand the stuff myself.

If you're whisky is balvenie (spelling) then check this out.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/search?q=Balvenie

Might be worth a few Bob.

Yep you're right, it was a typo on my part. Its a Balvenie 16 Year Triple Cask, as below:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/27480/balvenie-16-year-old-triple-cask

Edited by jimmyjoojar

As a non Whisky drinker i've been gifted a Belvenie 16 year old Triple Cask.

Out of curiosity is this much cop? I'd planned to hang onto it and forward it on as gift when i next needed (cheapskate :db: ).

Am i missing out on much?

Never had that one but had a few Balvenies and they're usually decent if a little too watered down.  As it's a travel retail item the general vibe in the 'whisky fabric' is that they tend to use up lesser stocks to fill those shelves with; but only the drinker can really say if it's any good or not.

As a drinker I'd be more than happy to receive it as a gift but wouldn't look to buy it - if that helps? :) 

• 1 year later...

Oh my. I’ve found the best one ever

Michter’s small batch Unblended American Whiskey

It’s not cheap (about £50) but you could easily lose a whole weekend with a bottle of that stuff. Seriously dangerous 

It’s not a bourbon but is put in bourbon barrels. They do some other variations but none are as good as this one