Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

I'm very interested to see how he does there and how he fits in and actually hope he does well (apart from in our re-arranged game with them)

The extreme hero worship of him is bizarre though. I know we've been short of cult heros in recent years but surely he'll be barely a footnote in a couple of season's time

I hope he returns to the Madine we saw most of. Petulant, sulky & shit.

I'm very interested to see how he does there and how he fits in and actually hope he does well (apart from in our re-arranged game with them)

The extreme hero worship of him is bizarre though. I know we've been short of cult heros in recent years but surely he'll be barely a footnote in a couple of season's time

I think its simply he was the best player in what is generally a poor team. And he hit form that gave us a chance of survival when it looked like we didn't have any. Not sure anyone is elevating him beyond that. I think its the other way round where people are downplaying what he's done this season. He's clearly been our best player and added a lot to his game. Nobody knows if he'd have carried on or gone through a poor period. But even Ken is suggesting he's a massive loss that still needs replacing. 

Pick of Ken’s Statement

“However, despite all that has been written and said elsewhere, even by some of the people close and actively involved in the transfer, it became obvious to me towards the end of last week that Gary and his advisors had decided on a move away despite having made what l considered to be a very good, new contract offer to Gary, whereby his salary and add-ons effectively doubled his current salary and extended the length of the contract by a further year to 2020.

However, for whatever their reasons, Gary and his advisors declined to accept our proposals.

Indeed, discussions came to a stage whereby Gary submitted a written transfer request on January 24, which was after the initial offers from Cardiff had been received and swiftly declined, and despite all the efforts made by the manager and myself to keep Gary, it was not to be.

Both clubs agreed not to disclose the transfer details, but surprisingly - and l don’t know how - the level of the fee and the payment terms that have been referred to elsewhere and the figures being bandied around are not that far from reality.

Furthermore, l can say that the determining factor in agreeing to the transfer, albeit that it was only reluctantly and finally accepted on Wednesday morning, was the fact that the fee was to be paid immediately with further substantial add-ons in the future, together with a substantial share of any future transfer proceeds.

We have not given up on finding a suitable replacement for Gary and are today actively looking at out-of-contract players.

Despite receiving bids for other players in our squad, we opted to ensure that nobody else left.“

With a Substantial Share of any future Transfer Proceeds 

who the fuck willever pay more then 6million for him 

• Moderators

As much as some on here are Happy to see him go it’s in the clubs interests that he carry’s on the same form and hopefully gets them promoted

anybody happy hes going is a little bit numb

understanding why he has gone and supporting the decision seems fair enough

• Members

As much as some on here are Happy to see him go it’s in the clubs interests that he carry’s on the same form and hopefully gets them promoted

Aye , i would imagine us getting anywhere near the 6m fee being touted will depend on that.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/a-note-from-the-chairman/

Full statement.

I appreciate KA has to billy bullyshit a little bit, but if the bulk of that statement is accurate then I'm not sure what else he and Parky could have done.

I'm not convinced Madine is the sort who would knuckle down and wait until the summer if the offer had been knocked back. The lad is a bellend, albeit a reasonably talented footballing bellend.

If we are able to get a bit unit in up front (al la Krammer) then I think the window has been pretty decent for the club.

He's played an absolute blinder!   I'm still working out  the c6 million bit.  6 million for Gary Madine. 

With future payments if sold on - great dealing but I'm not holding my breath on that one ;) 

• Site Supporter

I am going to assume gazza was on 8k, we offered him around 15k, cardiff came in with 25k plus a nice signing on fee.

good luck gaz. just never score against us.

He was on 6k a week according to Iles. Was offered double to sign an extension, but Cardiff offered more.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators

THIS 

and we gained 6 million 

and we only paid 7 million for Anelka  

GOCOMPAIR 

no point in comparing to Anelka

that was 12 years ago

other transfers that summer were Berbatov to Spurs for £11M, Carrick to Utd for £18M, Mikel to Chelsea for £16M, Shevchenko to Chelsea for £30M was the highest

even Rasiak came in for 2M

when you've got players being bought over here for £50M-80M as standard, it's about time we got our piece of the pie, so well played KA