Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Declan John has taken "Swansea City" out of his twitter bio - now just says Bolton Wanderers. Could be reading too much into it as he's out of contract there but could be a hint that he's staying. Wouldn't be any big surprise if he does sign back.

Would be a great statement of intent IMO

7 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Declan John has taken "Swansea City" out of his twitter bio - now just says Bolton Wanderers. Could be reading too much into it as he's out of contract there but could be a hint that he's staying. Wouldn't be any big surprise if he does sign back.

He's on £8000 a week at the moment so he might need to come down a peg or two! 😁

9 minutes ago, kent_white said:

He's on £8000 a week at the moment so he might need to come down a peg or two! 😁

Where's that figure from? Seems plausible considering he's from a Championship club.

I'm sure Sharon and co will have clear price limits, think they've said before that they want players who want to be here and won't get dragged into big agent fees or absurd wage demands.

If DJ has a better offer from L1 or the Championship then fair play but the chance to play regularly every week at a club with a stable manager with a positive style of play will be attractive to a young player.

Edited by Mantra

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Mantra said:

Where's that figure from? Seems plausible considering he's from a Championship club.

I'm sure Sharon and co will have clear price limits, think they've said before that they want players who want to be here and won't get dragged into big agent fees or absurd wage demands.

If DJ has a better offer from L1 or the Championship then fair play but the chance to play regularly every week at a club with a stable manager with a positive style of play will be attractive to a young player.

Looking at wiki 

This season was the most games he's played across 8 seasons and 7 clubs 

If he's getting regular game time at a club on the up he'd be daft to want to go back to doing nothing at Swansea, whilst I can't see a championship club coming in for him 

I reckon he'll be here next season

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

It's no wonder some of Bolton's players looked miles too good for the 4th Division on 8 grand a week

1. We won't have been paying that.

2. We weren't offering players that kind of wage

3. A player's salary is often more about how good his agent is than how good the player is.

Put your rod away, Red.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

It's no wonder some of Bolton's players looked miles too good for the 4th Division on 8 grand a week

Doesnt always correlate.. McTominay will be on a lot more than 8 grand a week & wouldn't look miles too good for the 4th Division 😁

13 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Doesnt always correlate.. McTominay will be on a lot more than 8 grand a week & wouldn't look miles too good for the 4th Division 😁

What's Phil Jones on????

No Roger im not that interested whatever it is its too fookin' much!! and i dont care where he drinks either (a trough in Eccles is my guess)

6 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The, now defunct, pay limits were brought in around July 1st.

Any wages agreed prior were honoured & treated as the limit average. After that the wages, including signing on fees, agent fees & bonus' were limited to £1.5m FOR THE WHOLE SQUAD including loan wages paid by us.

Average wage of around £60k all in.

Some will have received more, some less. I assume Doyle & Sarcevic got somewhat more. That's why Tobias ferreted around non-league players.

The squad salary cap was removed AFTER the January window closed. So Keiran Lee, Declan John, Dapo, Maddison etc. were still restricted.

Throughout the season the club said it was keeping well within the limits. There must have been some pretty low wages ... for, in some cases, some pretty low performers.

For a fan of Premiership football, just think of that number again. £1.5m for around 25 players, full maximum for the whole fckg year.

That annual sum, for a single player, is under £29,000 per week.

You'll have individuals on 10 times that. Players who've not turned out in a whole season 'earning' more.

Bolton have kept within that. Living within our means is our new way.

Some managers & fans have implied we bought our way out. We didn't. 

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Not to be too negative but I do think we'll need some significant improvements to the Starting XI if we want to challenge again for promotion next year. I don't mean that to say the current incumbents couldn't be effective at that level, I just think there is room for improvements for consistency purposes. 

There's a few players been released at Championship level that I'd hope we'd take hard runs at.

Ashley Fletcher from Middlesbrough, never lived up to that fee they paid but I think would add a good bit of athleticism at the top of the pitch, allows Doyle to move to more of an impact player or rotation against weaker defences. 

James Chester from Stoke, 32 now but that sort of defender that can play a bit, experienced enough to take up that role from Baptiste and let him move to the bench. 

Reece Burke from Hull, it says he's out of contract on Tranfermarkt but don't know how accurate it is, either way he'll have offers from above our level I'm sure but I'd love him back and looks to have developed into a proper decent defender. 

Nick Powell from Stoke again, I love Sarce but I'm not sure he's got all the physical tools to do it consistently at the next level, Powell another who can lack consistency but having the pair of them as an option in that Attacking Midfield role could be push them both.

I'd like another winger option as well to add to Politic, Isgrove and hopefully Afolayan. 

Right back as well, as reliable as Jones has been I see him as more of a backup option in League 1.

• Site Supporter

Quite right.

I know those clothing chaps may be getting involved, but I'd be a bit concerned if it turned out to be a takeover or some such.

Had enough of boom and bust, building steadily is far more appealing now. What FV have brought is sensational. Want them to stay for ever. 

39 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Not to be too negative but I do think we'll need some significant improvements to the Starting XI if we want to challenge again for promotion next year. I don't mean that to say the current incumbents couldn't be effective at that level, I just think there is room for improvements for consistency purposes. 

There's a few players been released at Championship level that I'd hope we'd take hard runs at.

Ashley Fletcher from Middlesbrough, never lived up to that fee they paid but I think would add a good bit of athleticism at the top of the pitch, allows Doyle to move to more of an impact player or rotation against weaker defences. 

James Chester from Stoke, 32 now but that sort of defender that can play a bit, experienced enough to take up that role from Baptiste and let him move to the bench. 

Reece Burke from Hull, it says he's out of contract on Tranfermarkt but don't know how accurate it is, either way he'll have offers from above our level I'm sure but I'd love him back and looks to have developed into a proper decent defender. 

Nick Powell from Stoke again, I love Sarce but I'm not sure he's got all the physical tools to do it consistently at the next level, Powell another who can lack consistency but having the pair of them as an option in that Attacking Midfield role could be push them both.

I'd like another winger option as well to add to Politic, Isgrove and hopefully Afolayan. 

Right back as well, as reliable as Jones has been I see him as more of a backup option in League 1.

Fletcher and Powell are the sort of players I don't want near the club. Players that have been hanging on to a reputation they didn't live up too. 

Gordon, Delaney, Greenrige, Hickman, Mascoll, Crawford, Comley and possibly Tutte, Delfouneso and Miller can leave.

The squad needs tweaking... nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

😅🤣😅🤣 that's more than a tweak !!

Not really considering the playing time of those players. I was a little disappointed with the Fonz all season tbh, thought he did OK but was expecting more.

Miller is a tough one. I'd like to keep him but we play with one striker. Obviously Doyle is the main man and if we end up getting another that puts Miller further down the pecking order.

1 minute ago, wanderer1984 said:

Not really considering the playing time of those players. I was a little disappointed with the Fonz all season tbh, thought he did OK but was expecting more.

Miller is a tough one. I'd like to keep him but we play with one striker. Obviously Doyle is the main man and if we end up getting another that puts Miller further down the pecking order.

That's the problem for me, I'm not sure Doyle can be the main man with a step up in division. No doubt he's a good poacher but it's whether he can offer enough to create things when it might not be going our way. 

I'd like to add some more athleticism in general in a number of positions. 

1 minute ago, Anderson said:

That's the problem for me, I'm not sure Doyle can be the main man with a step up in division. No doubt he's a good poacher but it's whether he can offer enough to create things when it might not be going our way. 

I'd like to add some more athleticism in general in a number of positions. 

I'd soon rather have Doyle... a proven goal scorer than someone we take a punt on.

Doyle will get 20 goals no problem next season.

Interesting to see IE refer to the salary cap in his post match interview 

paraphrasing but “working with a salary cap that held us back” 

so we were operating under the £1.5m as he said countless times but it was also holding us back. So definite scope for us to improve attract better players and still be within our means 

All areas need strengthening some more than others no doubt IE will address this

gone up a league and we’re still one of the biggest and players will want to come 

5 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I'd soon rather have Doyle... a proven goal scorer than someone we take a punt on.

I appreciate the optimism, I'm just not sure relying on a 33 year old who hasn't scored those numbers at that level in 7 years is ideal. 

Obviously I'd keep him around and have him play a relatively significant amount of time but we need to think about longevity at some point as well. 

27 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

He should have scored 30+ this season, but didn't for a reason.