Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

45 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Fletcher and Powell are the sort of players I don't want near the club. Players that have been hanging on to a reputation they didn't live up too. 

Gordon, Delaney, Greenrige, Hickman, Mascoll, Crawford, Comley and possibly Tutte, Delfouneso and Miller can leave.

The squad needs tweaking... nothing more.

If I recall correctly Delaney and Tutte were probably our most consistent players up to January, tallest dwarf contest I know.

If we can get players who are better then I suppose they can go, same with Miller, but living sustainably we need depth of squad without paying big wages and they're three players who may be able to do a job for us if called upon in League One. I agree about the others you mentioned though and don't think many of them will still be here next season.

According to https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/bolton-wanderers-squad-list/

This is our current squad contracted for next year

GKs: Gilks

DEFs: Gordon, Santos, Greenidge, Edwards

MIDs: MJ, Comley, Lee, Thomason, Sarcevic, Crawford, Darcy

FWDs: Delfouneso, Doyle, Politic

Didn't realise, Fonz, Gordon, Greenidge, Comley and Crawford are all here till at least Summer 2022. Should be looking to offload or loan out all of them.

Expiring this Summer

Renew/sign: Isgrove, Jones, DJ, Dapo

Let go: Crellin, Hickman, Mascoll, Elbouzedi, Faal

Unsure: Tutte, Brockbank, Baptiste, Delaney, Miller

The latter group all had good contributions this season in varying degrees but shouldn't just sign them on sentiment alone. 

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter

Doyle's intelligence and movement shouldn't be under estimated for me.

Not the strongest as a target man, but, as we saw on Saturday, when everyone is at it and playing on the front foot and moving well, he links the play really well and is creative too.

OK, defenders will be a bit better a league up, but I'm convinced he will score goals as long as other attacking players keep up the work rate, movement, and supply the ammo.

Either way, his experience will be invaluable for younger players trying to learn, and his enthusiasm is a joy.

I doubt very much Doyle will get near 20 next season L2-L1 is big difference, very isolated at times due to not much creativity in midfield but that can be addressed I suppose 

29 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

For 10 years we've been carrying players with contracts given for pjaying in our previous higher division.

For the first time in many a year we have scope to increase our paybill to the level we can afford in Div 1 - whatever that is.

Said this before and it’s a great point. For once we have a manager who can go and fill up spaces to his budget, as he wishes, whereas for far too long we have been going the other way and trying to offload players on long contracts that were taking up any playing budget.

Looking at the list of contracted players, most will be on fuck all so Evatt’s got almost a clean slate to spend the budget that Sharon gives him however he sees fit. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, RoadRunnerFan said:

If we dont get John I'd be more than  happy with Jackson. Dont need both though.

I'd have them both. Jackson is a midfielder isnt he, who plays full back too.

He uses both feet, and looks more than capable of playing in several positions. Such a player could open up a position elsewhere.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'd have them both. Jackson is a midfielder isnt he, who plays full back too.

He uses both feet, and looks more than capable of playing in several positions. Such a player could open up a position elsewhere.

The next Marcus Alonso

I'd be concerned if Rock Tornado was still recruiting our players but Evatt's January dealings have given me confidence in his judgement.

As said, it might be tricky not to hang on to some players for sentimental reasons from this season but IE may have to make some tough decisions. 

2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

I'd be concerned if Rock Tornado was still recruiting our players but Evatt's January dealings have given me confidence in his judgement.

As said, it might be tricky not to hang on to some players for sentimental reasons from this season but IE may have to make some tough decisions. 

Correct and it will mean getting players in better than his three Blackpool mates Gilks,Baptiste and Fonz

Decent enough back ups but if they want first team football they should be free to find another club

Gilks is Staff and it does not apply to him

3 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

If we dont get John I'd be more than  happy with Jackson. Dont need both though.

If we want to be challenging at the top of the division having quality cover for all positions is vital and players with a good left foot are in short supply. I'd have 'em both, Jackson looks good going forward and can provide cover all up the left flank.

8 hours ago, Mantra said:

According to https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/bolton-wanderers-squad-list/

This is our current squad contracted for next year

GKs: Gilks

DEFs: Gordon, Santos, Greenidge, Edwards

MIDs: MJ, Comley, Lee, Thomason, Sarcevic, Crawford, Darcy

FWDs: Delfouneso, Doyle, Politic

Didn't realise, Fonz, Gordon, Greenidge, Comley and Crawford are all here till at least Summer 2022. Should be looking to offload or loan out all of them.

Expiring this Summer

Renew/sign: Isgrove, Jones, DJ, Dapo

Let go: Crellin, Hickman, Mascoll, Elbouzedi, Faal

Unsure: Tutte, Brockbank, Baptiste, Delaney, Miller

The latter group all had good contributions this season in varying degrees but shouldn't just sign them on sentiment alone. 

IIRC it was mentioned last week that there was a clause in Jones contract that had been triggered meaning he was signed up for next season

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Correct and it will mean getting players in better than his three Blackpool mates Gilks,Baptiste and Fonz

Decent enough back ups but if they want first team football they should be free to find another club

Gilks is Staff and it does not apply to him

There's at least 6 regular 1st teamers who haven't hit Baptistes consistency this season so are we moving them on as well?