Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

20 hours ago, Traf said:

I'd be happy to have never heard of the players we bring in.

That way, they're not coming due to reputation, they're coming because Evatt think they can play his way.

Does anyone else think that IE will try again with his 5 at the back barrocelona tactics in L1?

I don't mind him trying again as long as we have players that can adapt and play the 433 or whatever we changed to as cover

17 minutes ago, SalCity Biggie said:

Does anyone else think that IE will try again with his 5 at the back barrocelona tactics in L1?

I don't mind him trying again as long as we have players that can adapt and play the 433 or whatever we changed to as cover

I hope not, might work in a tinpot League like the conference or if you can spend stupid money on players, I'd be surprised if Evatt hasn't learnt his lesson.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, SalCity Biggie said:

He did the Barrowcelona thing but it became a Boltcelona with a back 4 instead of a 5.

MJ was key in protecting the defence if the full backs got caught out upfield.

Sam Hird coming in as first team coach The duo already know each other, with Evatt having managed Hird during his successful time at Barrow, which saw the side promoted to the Football League.

Hird, 33, may be well known to fans as he has featured for the likes of Chesterfield and Doncaster Rovers over the years in his professional career, which is now coming to an end.

Billy Bodin released by PNE, still only 29.  Its nailed on he gets a League One team, wouldn't mind it being us.  Then again I was expecting Maddison to be good based on track record so it shows how important it is to have watched a player in the last few months before handing out contracts.  No doubt "triallist" will be playing a lot of pre-season friendlies again.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Steejay said:

He did the Barrowcelona thing but it became a Boltcelona with a back 4 instead of a 5.

MJ was key in protecting the defence if the full backs got caught out upfield.

Looking at one of those maps that shows the players' average positions, and from the forward pushing nature of our fullbacks, it might be described as a hybrid formation of the two anyway. 

Flexibility order of the day.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Blondi said:

I hope not, might work in a tinpot League like the conference or if you can spend stupid money on players, I'd be surprised if Evatt hasn't learnt his lesson.

I hope he hasn't learned is lesson, and gets us promoted again 

2 hours ago, burnden said:

Sounds like Gilks is going to be our number 1 again next season

I like the loyalty but goalkeeping seems to be his Achilles Heel. Absolutely impressed by Gilks season, and nothing but respect for how he performed. But we need to be bringing in a mature, capable one with Gilks being available if needed.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Gilks may not be up there on goalkeeping stats alone, but he got more out of the 4/5 players in front of him. 

If we get another keeper in, the organisation from them needs to stay at a similar level. No point getting a better keeper, but the defensive level dropping overall. 

Appreciate the work Gilks has done but let’s be honest L1 will be a jump and our defence will be under far greater pressure and quality plus 39 we should be looking younger, back to the coaching role for me 

54 minutes ago, Razaldo9 said:

Gilks may not be up there on goalkeeping stats alone, but he got more out of the 4/5 players in front of him. 

I think that's been the absolute key. He's dropped a few clangers but has been fundamentally safe. If that was it you'd be definitely looking elsewhere urgently - but the confidence in having someone pretty dependable behind you is the lesser part of the story. It's been him marshaling them that's got the best out of them, and they'll need that to continue to improve at a higher level. That said, once they're confident at that higher level - and they may prove that quite quickly - then someone else needs blooding. And they need to be lined up now so they can integrate, and of course in case one of those knocks he worryingly got in some games proves too much (and at his age he finds harder to get back from).

Surely we'll be looking at Andy Cannon (25) & Jordy Hiwula (26) who have just been released from Pompey to look for a move back up Manchester way where they're both from. If we're looking for an upgrade on Comley & Tutte then Cannon fits the bill he has played every single one of his 163 games at League 1 level.  Hiwula was a highly efficient L1 winger for a good a few seasons getting double digits in three consecutive seasons in all comps for Bradford/Fleetwood/Coventry & his move to Pompey just hasn't worked out but he could be a good pick up. 

No way he can go to 5 at the back with fans coming back.

Every single time this club has tried 5 at the back the fans have jumped right on it as blamed it for all our failings (rightly or wrongly)

Plus it encourages passing at the back. Which will never work with our fans.

39 minutes ago, SalCity Biggie said:

Okkulo uses unique lighting conditions to stimulate the athletes, It increases your reaction times when you get into normal lighting conditions as you're forced to adapt in the chambers. 

Sounds a load of old shite. Pure lab condition theory.

Unless you were kept in the odd lighting conditions right until kick off time and then exactly how long does this improved reaction time last ?