Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, burnden said:

That is a tremendous little interview. Lad seems a real character, and given his huge improvement and work rate in response to IE shows an excellent level of professionalism. Might not be the very best, but what a personality to have in the changing room.

He seems like he's still on a high, and has a smile on his face, and oozes enthusiasm. 

Good luck to him.

3 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Waghorn more or less kept Derby up in that final match v Sheffield Wed great

attitude , blistering shot on him .Certainly improve our freekick goal count.

Matt Smith certainly a much different option , don’t see Evatt signing him though.

Agree on Waghorn, surely he'll get a (lower) championship club, quality player, I cant see a league one club affording or attracting him.

We can rule out IE signing a Matt Smith or Madine type, as per comments from the new guy talking about how any signings need to fit into the very definite identity and style of play. There'll be a certain type of forward we are looking for, in the Miller/Doyle style, hopefully with a bit more physicality and/or pace.

• Site Supporter

Am I the only person who thinks ALF left us in the lurch big-time with his plea to be released from his contract? Don’t get me wrong, once he asked I get that it was down to the club to say yes or no but, to me, he shouldn’t have put the club in the position in the first place.

2 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Wouldn't everybody??

No quite a few on here always sniping at him for some unknown reason. Well i say unknown it was usually an attempt to excuse Parky's tactics. I loved ALF best striker we've had since Premier League for me.

45 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

ALF that ship has sailed, we've moved on, Doyle fits in with what we are doing and we are obviously going to sign another striker with Miller leaving. 

Lets move forwards without the ghosts of Parkinson and Anderson, Clough, ALF, Wheater etc... done well, nice one, cheers but no.

Yep it’s certainly sailed

but on who’s better no brainier Alf would’ve scored 30 in season gone 

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I'd say so as well, at least 25 if he was given the same game time as Doyle.

But like you say that’s gone now and Doyle did his job scored goals and won promotion

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Am I the only person who thinks ALF left us in the lurch big-time with his plea to be released from his contract? Don’t get me wrong, once he asked I get that it was down to the club to say yes or no but, to me, he shouldn’t have put the club in the position in the first place.

Well, sort of. But he was firmly told by Parkinson that he didn't fit his needs & his playing time would be restricted.

.... & he'd had an approach.

There's a time to take a hint I guess.

I think even if ALF hadn't scored more than Doyle, he would have still contributed more overall, and that's not a criticism of an honest player and good finisher like Doyle.  ALF got more involved in build up play and could hold the ball up much better.  And the the ability to assist like the one against Forest, the quality of that ball gets a bit overlooked because the finish is so iconic.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think even if ALF hadn't scored more than Doyle, he would have still contributed more overall, and that's not a criticism of an honest player and good finisher like Doyle.  ALF got more involved in build up play and could hold the ball up much better.  And the the ability to assist like the one against Forest, the quality of that ball gets a bit overlooked because the finish is so iconic.

I think Doyle is greatly underrated in his build up/link play. It took until the final game for one of the supporting attackers to get in that position to poach a goal.

Had both he and Isgrove done that a bit more often, I'm convinced he'd have supplied more assists.

Hopefully, we'll get more out of it next season now they've all had these few months together.