Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree with you, I like both players but they aren't championship standard.  But that's irrelevant, we've just got promoted to league one, so we need players who can perform at that level.  As much as we'd love to be competing in the top half, I'll be more than happy in the first season not to have a relegation battle; looking ahead to playing in the championship isn't a serious consideration, let's get a foothold in league one.  Let's not forget how much progress that would represent from where we were in February.

Luton and Rotherham have both gone straight through L1 in recent years so no reason we cant do the same. 

You'll have your Ipswich & Sunderland's investing heavily in their rebuild but like others have said with a solid spine from last season with a few sprinkles added into it then you never know what could happen. I'm not expecting to be right up there but did anybody expect Sheff Utd to go from L1 to the prem back to back with virtually the same L1 players? Lincoln from NL to on the verge of CH. The main thing is with all them 1-0's we formed a winning mentality which can carry over well into the higher leagues so I can see why IE committed to offering out them 2 year deals to Izzy & Geth aswell as keeping around a few of the players we expected to be released. Not a clue who we'll bring in but expecting some quality shrewd business with the amount of frees out there this summer & hopefully we can get a few exciting PL loans like how Blackpool got with Simms & Ballard. Can't be having the likes of Comley, Greenidge, Crawford eating up valuable places & wages neither.

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Middlesbrough have released Ashley Fletcher, I wonder if he would drop down a division to play for his hometown club, very much doubt, always looked quality when playing against us.

They have also released Brit Assebounga (or whatever he is called) and Marvin Johnson, looks like some championship clubs are cost cutting, which would suggest some players will have to take a pay cut.

Off to Watford isn’t he?

2 hours ago, DazBob said:

I've always thought Fletcher has looked poor when I've seen him.

Be interesting to see who we do bring in as competition for Doyle.

Didnt he play for Sunderland on loan against us and looked like he couldnt hit a barn door? Might be thinking of someone else not sure.

3 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

He isn't going to get 40k from now on, well out of our price range like. 

Him and others who have had it good in the Championship for the last few years, are now going to find themselves struggling to find a club to me those wage demands, look at Derby and Sheffield W etc... the project of paying big bucks to reach the so-called promise land of the PL are now over, Brentford have proven that this year, I think we are now in era were finding the right manager is more essential.

No, he isn't going to get 40k, but he's certainly going to get more than we can pay.

• Members

Think people need to curb their expectations. 

To coin an old nightclub saying

“We are going to be going ugly early”, trying to get the best pick of the ugly birds first 

It’s not raining tenners at the Unibol, yet, it’ll be shrewd business on free agents and minimal transfer fees to boost wages. A lot of mercenary journeymen out there and we won’t be the destination. IE would have had a list ready for months. 
There will be some Good players in league 2 in poor teams

There will be some good players in league one who didn’t get the nod for whatever reason. 
Have faith in IE.

There are going to be plenty of players who are within out budget who, as long as they can adapt to our style of play and team ethic, can improve us and ensure we're at the right end of the table again.

Hopefully the days of us paying over the odds for mercenaries who don't give a shit are long gone.

5 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Middlesbrough have released Ashley Fletcher, I wonder if he would drop down a division to play for his hometown club, very much doubt, always looked quality when playing against us.

They have also released Brit Assebounga (or whatever he is called) and Marvin Johnson, looks like some championship clubs are cost cutting, which would suggest some players will have to take a pay cut.

Its a nice idea but the 3 promoted clubs and the likes of Huddersfield, Blackburn and PNE are ahead of us in the queue for players that top half Championship clubs no longer need.  I'd have Paul Gallagher and Billy Bodin from PNE any day of the week though, that would be the end of our free kicks and corners problem.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Think people need to curb their expectations. 

To coin an old nightclub saying

“We are going to be going ugly early”, trying to get the best pick of the ugly birds first 

It’s not raining tenners at the Unibol, yet, it’ll be shrewd business on free agents and minimal transfer fees to boost wages. A lot of mercenary journeymen out there and we won’t be the destination. IE would have had a list ready for months. 
There will be some Good players in league 2 in poor teams

There will be some good players in league one who didn’t get the nod for whatever reason. 
Have faith in IE.

What night clubs did you go to? 

Aim high at the start, lower standards as the night goes on, leave before the lights come on

• Members
26 minutes ago, Zico said:

What night clubs did you go to? 

Aim high at the start, lower standards as the night goes on, leave before the lights come on

J2 reluctantly, ikon, jaxxs for the trashy lassies, New York New York for the cheap beer and toast, reflex if I couldn’t get in anywhere else, Bergeracs/fluid if we were desperate and didn’t mind possibly needing to getting a tetanus shot 

• Members
58 minutes ago, Rudy said:

J2 reluctantly, ikon, jaxxs for the trashy lassies, New York New York for the cheap beer and toast, reflex if I couldn’t get in anywhere else, Bergeracs/fluid if we were desperate and didn’t mind possibly needing to getting a tetanus shot 

I dread to think I was in the same places as you at the same time 😂

Brockbank signed up for 2 years.  Versatile, not a great left back but a good right back with the potential to be a good centre half.......possibly a replacement for Baptiste in time.

Happy with this, one of our own being given a chance must be encouraging for others coming up.