Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Just had a realisation that for some reason I hadn't thought of until reading the latest Marc Iles article.

While we have a full squad and would need to offload Comley/Crawford if we wanted to bring in another body...

..That only applies if the new signing is 22 years old+

I knew young players didn't count to the quota but I was only factoring in our own players and didn't put 2+2 together that we could just loan in a <22 year old. So if we have any targets who are young lads then we can get them in without having to sell the outcasts.

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Duhhh

Also in the article Evatt said he "definitely" thinks there will be some outgoings. I think I'd actually be happier seeing Delf leave than Crawford or Comley because at least I know they can't get a game. 

Edited by Mantra

10 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Good going forward

Aye. Probably some correlation to why we don’t concede 6 at home to shit 4th division teams anymore. Not a patch on Jones defensively. 

Bit dull but I like defenders to be good at defending and happy to let attackers do their bit.

20 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I think its centre back in a three. 

But that's never his strong point. Might partially explain Luton 0 Birmingham 5 !! 

Got hooked on the 28th min mark........not sure if injury or they realised he aint no centre half

• Members

Just read a tough article about Jack Wilshire, about him not being able to find a club and it being tough to explain to his kids

I was going to post the link but you need a subscription so I’ll post a bit of it

“Being honest, I probably never thought I’d be in this position,” Wilshere acknowledges, solemnly.

“Today I was running around an athletics track and struggling to imagine I would be here at this point in my career. Everyone used to say to me, ‘(At) 28, 29… you’ll be at the peak of your career’. And I genuinely thought I would. I thought I’d still be playing for England, (that) I’d be at a top club.”

“My kids are at an age where they understand. Especially Archie, who’s nine. He’s actually having conversations with me, saying, ‘What about the MLS?’ or ‘Why aren’t you playing in La Liga?’

“He loves football. He knows everything about football. And it is difficult to explain to him. He’ll say to me, ‘How come no club wants you?’ I don’t know. But how do I explain that to him?”

“They’ve got friends at school and you know what kids can be like, they can be quite brutal. ‘Why is your dad not working? Is he not good enough? Is he not good at football?’ Yeah, that’s tough.”

“I’ve got two younger kids (Siena and Jack Jnr) who have never really seen me play football. When I go to training in the morning on my own and I kiss them and say, ‘I’m going training’, they don’t actually know what I do. They’re probably thinking, ‘Where’s he going? What is his job?’

“The older two remember the Arsenal days, they remember watching me play for England. In a way, it’s quite nice to have that — they can see it on YouTube and when I go out, people recognise me. The most difficult part is trying to explain when they ask, ‘Well, why don’t you just sign for a club in England?’ I’m like, ‘Well, no one wants me’, and they can’t really get their head around it.”

“Honestly, I should have never left,” Wilshere concedes, recalling the summer Arsenal appointed Unai Emery to replace Arsenal Wenger as manager after 22 years in charge. “That’s nothing against West Ham — it could have been anyone — but I shouldn’t have left Arsenal.”

“I had a conversation with Arsene when I came back from Bournemouth (following a 2016-2017 loan, with 12 months left on his Arsenal terms). He said, ‘Look, you can leave. You’re not going to get a new contract here’. (But) Knowing Arsene the way I knew him and how much he rated me as a footballer, I knew if I got myself fit there were lots of games and I could get myself into that team.”

“I wish I had that same mentality when I sat down with Emery and he said, ‘Look, there’s a contract on the table but you’re not in my starting XI’. I remember walking out angry, because I thought I was going to play — I proved myself the year before. I probably made a few rash decisions. I rang my agent and said, ‘That’s it, we need to leave’. I should have taken a few days, calmed down and thought to myself again, ‘I look around this midfield and back myself to get in’.”

“And the question I keep asking myself at the moment is: What am I doing it for?”

“When I left West Ham and I was trying to find somewhere I thought, ‘Right, it’s going to come, it’s going to come’. But it’s not coming at the minute. And so now I’m waking up thinking, ‘I need to train today, but why do I need to train today?’ I want to find a club but is it going to happen?”

“I had a conversation with my wife the other day. It was just before we went to bed and I said to her, ‘Look, I’ve got to train tomorrow but why am I training? Should I just try and focus on something else? Like, I can be a coach or I’ve just got on to the course to do my A Licence so I could start focusing on that’. She said to me, ‘No, you can’t. You can’t. You’re too good’.

“I said, ‘You say I’m too good but if I was too good someone would come and at least give me a chance, let me go and train there or let me try and prove myself to them’.

“At what point do I say, ‘Enough is enough?’ I don’t know, to be honest. I’ll keep going until… “I said to my agent I don’t want to be in that position where I’m waiting and waiting and before you know it January comes and I’ve almost wasted another season. I’m not getting any younger and I don’t want that. I did that last year, so to do it again… I feel like I’d be wasting my time.”

I loved him for us, if we could get him (long shot I know) but I’d go and pick him up myself 

• Site Supporter

8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Just read a tough article about Jack Wilshire, about him not being able to find a club and it being tough to explain to his kids

I was going to post the link but you need a subscription so I’ll post a bit of it

“Being honest, I probably never thought I’d be in this position,” Wilshere acknowledges, solemnly.

“Today I was running around an athletics track and struggling to imagine I would be here at this point in my career. Everyone used to say to me, ‘(At) 28, 29… you’ll be at the peak of your career’. And I genuinely thought I would. I thought I’d still be playing for England, (that) I’d be at a top club.”

“My kids are at an age where they understand. Especially Archie, who’s nine. He’s actually having conversations with me, saying, ‘What about the MLS?’ or ‘Why aren’t you playing in La Liga?’

“He loves football. He knows everything about football. And it is difficult to explain to him. He’ll say to me, ‘How come no club wants you?’ I don’t know. But how do I explain that to him?”

“They’ve got friends at school and you know what kids can be like, they can be quite brutal. ‘Why is your dad not working? Is he not good enough? Is he not good at football?’ Yeah, that’s tough.”

“I’ve got two younger kids (Siena and Jack Jnr) who have never really seen me play football. When I go to training in the morning on my own and I kiss them and say, ‘I’m going training’, they don’t actually know what I do. They’re probably thinking, ‘Where’s he going? What is his job?’

“The older two remember the Arsenal days, they remember watching me play for England. In a way, it’s quite nice to have that — they can see it on YouTube and when I go out, people recognise me. The most difficult part is trying to explain when they ask, ‘Well, why don’t you just sign for a club in England?’ I’m like, ‘Well, no one wants me’, and they can’t really get their head around it.”

“Honestly, I should have never left,” Wilshere concedes, recalling the summer Arsenal appointed Unai Emery to replace Arsenal Wenger as manager after 22 years in charge. “That’s nothing against West Ham — it could have been anyone — but I shouldn’t have left Arsenal.”

“I had a conversation with Arsene when I came back from Bournemouth (following a 2016-2017 loan, with 12 months left on his Arsenal terms). He said, ‘Look, you can leave. You’re not going to get a new contract here’. (But) Knowing Arsene the way I knew him and how much he rated me as a footballer, I knew if I got myself fit there were lots of games and I could get myself into that team.”

“I wish I had that same mentality when I sat down with Emery and he said, ‘Look, there’s a contract on the table but you’re not in my starting XI’. I remember walking out angry, because I thought I was going to play — I proved myself the year before. I probably made a few rash decisions. I rang my agent and said, ‘That’s it, we need to leave’. I should have taken a few days, calmed down and thought to myself again, ‘I look around this midfield and back myself to get in’.”

“And the question I keep asking myself at the moment is: What am I doing it for?”

“When I left West Ham and I was trying to find somewhere I thought, ‘Right, it’s going to come, it’s going to come’. But it’s not coming at the minute. And so now I’m waking up thinking, ‘I need to train today, but why do I need to train today?’ I want to find a club but is it going to happen?”

“I had a conversation with my wife the other day. It was just before we went to bed and I said to her, ‘Look, I’ve got to train tomorrow but why am I training? Should I just try and focus on something else? Like, I can be a coach or I’ve just got on to the course to do my A Licence so I could start focusing on that’. She said to me, ‘No, you can’t. You can’t. You’re too good’.

“I said, ‘You say I’m too good but if I was too good someone would come and at least give me a chance, let me go and train there or let me try and prove myself to them’.

“At what point do I say, ‘Enough is enough?’ I don’t know, to be honest. I’ll keep going until… “I said to my agent I don’t want to be in that position where I’m waiting and waiting and before you know it January comes and I’ve almost wasted another season. I’m not getting any younger and I don’t want that. I did that last year, so to do it again… I feel like I’d be wasting my time.”

I loved him for us, if we could get him (long shot I know) but I’d go and pick him up myself 

Hard to believe NOBODY wants him. There must be more to it? 

• Site Supporter

So what’s the issue? Does he spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch? Is he a disruption in the dressing room? 
If nobody at all wants him then he’s possibly aiming too high. Perhaps he should tout himself around his local Championship or EFL1 club and go in on reduced wages.

But you’re right, get him moved up here to train with our club. If nothing happens then nothing lost.

Uproot them from a brutal bullying setting?

It's not their fault their dad demands; £80k a week minimum, 40 Cuban cigars a week, being allowed to smoke four Lambert & Butlers in the dressing room at H/T, Mink toilet roll, being relieved from playing every other Saturday to go on 'Soccer Saturday', having two weeks off mid-season to go to all the Ibiza Club's final nights of the season - with Jay Spearing (no drug tests on return) and his new club obliged to put out a contract on Arsene Wenger...

Yeah, course Portsmouth or Plymouth would be interested with those terms.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

so, assuming it was longer than 3 years, he basically regrets not signing the contract at arsenal so at least he could still be getting paid for doing nothing

he's either too injury prone or seriously limiting his options because I'm sure somone in the championship would have him if they knew he could play more than a handful of games a season

his agent needs to get him one of those pay as you play deals

• Members
1 hour ago, Zico said:

so, assuming it was longer than 3 years, he basically regrets not signing the contract at arsenal so at least he could still be getting paid for doing nothing

he's either too injury prone or seriously limiting his options because I'm sure somone in the championship would have him if they knew he could play more than a handful of games a season

his agent needs to get him one of those pay as you play deals

He has to have a contract with a monthly income, however giving his injury record clubs will bonus him on appearances which would top up his low wage. 

I assume he doesn’t want to do that.

Hes not for moving out of London because he turned down Newcastle and Rangers before he signed for West Ham. I think he’s been dealt a bad hand with injuries and had bad advice from advisors but he’s probably to blame as well. He was such a natural talent, this is probably a come and get me plea it’s whether someone wants to take the gamble