Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Politic had another good game and becoming a fans favourite at vale

get him back 

Disappointingly and annoyingly, I'm not sure he'll pull on on a Bolton shirt again... 

Another to add to the Evatt shit list by all accounts, he certainly doesn't seem to have desires to return. 

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Disappointingly and annoyingly, I'm not sure he'll pull on on a Bolton shirt again... 

Another to add to the Evatt shit list by all accounts, he certainly doesn't seem to have desires to return. 

I suspect not. If we meant it with the lad we'd have not loaned him out without signing a contract.

He's a free agent come January.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Anderson said:

We've offered a contract he’s stalling. We did his rehab and sent him out on loan to get ready and play competitive football. Not much more we can do and we might not even have a clause in place 

He probably wants assurances on his playing time before signing the contract and we couldn't give it to him after a long term injury.

If he keeps playing well at Vale then maybe Evatt will give him that game time but if Vale get promoted he might want to stay there where he feels more appreciated.

51 minutes ago, Traf said:

Club looked after Politic when he was injured, they've offered him a new deal, he turned it down, they offered him a second improved deal and it's still on the table as far as I know.

Not sure the club can do any more.

They could send Big Al round with baseball bats.

8 hours ago, Traf said:

Club looked after Politic when he was injured, they've offered him a new deal, he turned it down, they offered him a second improved deal and it's still on the table as far as I know.

Not sure the club can do any more.

I don't think we've offered him a second improved contract, have we?

As we all know,  we are in desperate need of goalscorers,   who and where do you think we are looking at ?    League 2 ,league 1 ?    A couple that look to fit the bill are Telford at Newport and scully at Lincoln,   (although they are both dwarfs).    

Could look at Stockton at morecambe to play alongside one of said dwarfs.   

Championship striker -    would they come ?   Cant see it. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

As we all know,  we are in desperate need of goalscorers,   who and where do you think we are looking at ?    League 2 ,league 1 ?    A couple that look to fit the bill are Telford at Newport and scully at Lincoln,   (although they are both dwarfs).    

All premier league clubs will have a Dapo who isn’t going to make it at that level or needs to go out on loan.

I have no idea who they are but if our scouting set up is good, they’ll be aware of who’s available. I reckon this is the route we’ll go down.

36 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Armstrong, ex us and Blackburn's a dwarf, but it didn't stop him scoring for fun at Rovers.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

How far does our scouting network stretch? surely there's some talent to be spotted in North Africa and Scandinavia, and all on peanuts salary wise, there must be a Mahrez or an Eider out there, all about widening the net.

Well, that's one way of going about it I suppose. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

How far does our scouting network stretch? surely there's some talent to be spotted in North Africa and Scandinavia, and all on peanuts salary wise, there must be a Mahrez or an Eider out there, all about widening the net.

We’ve got a match in 2 weeks time where good contacts can be made if we use our time wisely

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just checked on Sogndal too, their season finishes 27th November so Darcy is only a month away from returning. He’d be a better option than Kachunga 

3rd to 6th place in that league progress into a playoffs that go on for for another month after that, so Darcy may not return until the end of December (if Sogndal make it through all the playoff rounds).

They’re currently 5th, 6 points ahead of the team in 7th with only 4 games to play, so looks likely that they’ll make it to the first round at least.

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Unfortunately our scouting department doesn’t stretch that far - I’m fairly certain it’s British Isles only.

I understand why fans want us to be scouting far and wide but the added costs far outweigh any marginal benefit you get. Plenty of talent available in the home nations to make a team capable of pushing for promotion in League One.

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just checked on Sogndal too, their season finishes 27th November so Darcy is only a month away from returning. He’d be a better option than Kachunga 

Hasn't got on the pitch in their last 3 games and remember Sogndal are playing in the Norwegian 2nd division.  I like Darcy, but don't think he's going to be the answer to our problems this season.

If I had to assess our squad strength on who is capable RIGHT NOW to play at Championship level it would be:

Top Level: Dapo, MJ Williams, Kieran Lee, Gethin Jones

Potential but unclear: Dixon, Santos, Johnston, Declan John, Aimson, Sheehan, Bakayoko.

Underperforming or not good enough: Doyle, Delfouneso, Kachunga, Liam Gordon, Brockbank, Thomason

So out of those 17:

4 are good enough to play higher level

7 have shown potential or glimpses of quality but have either been inconsistent, injury prone or had too many off days.

6 are not ready to make the step up

Not saying the last group are all shite or can't improve but at the moment they're not at the standard we'd need in our starting 11 to push for Automatic promotion in my opinion. I think Doyle works really hard and helps the team in that respect but he's just not scoring right now, can argue whether that's lack of service or whatever, but for me a centre forward can make their own chances and doesn't need it put on a plate. Gordon has filled in well when needed and I like Thomason too.

If we can replace or upgrade on those 6, then the replacements might get the best out of the 7 in the grey area, or will expose if they really aren't up to scratch.

Best case scenario: Politic, Amaechi and Darcy come back firing and that's already some better attacking options.

But in January definitely need a new fullback, some cover for MJ would be useful, a number 10 and a striker also high up the list.