Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Members
15 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Is the back story with him that he had a good season, got capped for NI, thought he was a world beater, no-one came in for him so he refused to sign a new contract and hasn't played since?

Not saying he won't score goals for us if we get him, just checking I've read it correctly.

About right. 
He was at Blackpool with IE as well as a yoof

19 minutes ago, tomski said:

Punching above their weight.

They are, but tbh good luck to that.

I read that as he entered his final season on contract he assured the club he'd sign a new one, but dragged his feet. After a while they challenged him to sign or be damned. He chose not to & they dropped him.

Sounds a bit crazy to me tbh. Cutting your nose off to spite your face & other clichés.

• Members

He doesn’t have to sign. 
It’s poor on their behalf because good business would say right you sign before the start of the summer window or we sell you when it’s open. Gives them time to sell, replace and make a bit of bunce. 
I have no idea of market values in this league but I won’t imagine they’ll be getting a lot for him now

Edited by Rudy

10 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

They are, but tbh good luck to that.

I read that as he entered his final season on contract he assured the club he'd sign a new one, but dragged his feet. After a while they challenged him to sign or be damned. He chose not to & they dropped him.

Sounds a bit crazy to me tbh. Cutting your nose off to spite your face & other clichés.

Quite admire the stance to be honest. I think it should of been boxed off by summer mind.

Well if he knows we’re sniffing around there isn’t much chance of him signing now, especially the way he’s been treated but rather than us pay a fee and to get him off their books if he isn’t going to figure for them, why not loan him to us until June, when we can sign him permanently for free?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Think Andy holt has made it quite clear the other week the position and why he’s stuck to his guns on his not being involved. Fair play. 

Yes. It's a bold move, and if they miss his goals then it could backfire. At least he's rewarding players with a greater commitment. 

The player did renege on his promise (according to the report), which clearly cheesed the gaffer off. I suppose the lad could have said "I'd like to go elsewhere, won't sign a new one but will bust a gut in the meantime", which may have been accepted.

Anyway, if he does come and does well, we'll not give a toss either way! :)

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

I have no idea of market values in this league but I won’t imagine they’ll be getting a lot for him now

On one hand, anything they get is better than nowt. On the other, if they're going to get very little fck him & let him stew.

The "we want a 6 fugure sum" at this level must include the decimal point, Shirley. I'd be irritated if one of ours did this, but say "hello" to Bosman World.

We'll save them 6 month's wages, plus pay maybe £50k, tops. I smell an "undisclosed fee" coming along.

1 hour ago, true white said:

Shows what you can do, when your a very well run club. 

Exactly probably playing at least 2 divisions above were they should and beat us last two times they have played us at home . The training ground is a joke by all accounts no support more away fans than home some weeks and playing against the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland in the league 

Hard for Accrington as they are right in middle of Burnley and Blackburn. A lot of fans watch Accrington when Prem team is away. Training facilities are not as bad as you think. They have just spent 1.5mill on the hub. Which is used for community teams, kids, u18, girls and women’s team. Fantastic facilities with top coaches. Ever Accy team are well drilled, play same style and are extremely fit. They attract young talented players because the standards required are so high. Accrington are a great example of how to run a small football club. Like other say competing in a league like this is fantastic for them. It’s not by luck though. Lots of hard work in the background.