Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Members
16 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Don’t be clever , Gilkes is past it as well you know.

There has to be some availability of an experienced keeper out there sat on the bench who might like to actually participate.

7 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

Declan Rudd is currently sat on Preston's bench behind a lad on loan from Leicester. 

Only 30, have to think he'd be the type you can tempt into playing games. 

Right a few things 

BWFC now have a working relationship with City and their academy no they won’t get first refusal but Bolton scouts and coaches get invited to watch city players

It isn’t necessarily experience to oust our number one out, it’s to provide competition and even take the weight off him so he can learn from a player who’s highly regarded at the best academy in the country. 

We take on a city player and we’ll get that relationship to be a club city can use again in the future to develop young players that’s the model in the loan market. Not to go and sign 30 year olds not good enough to get in championship teams

Also with City they won’t want a lot or even any contribution to wages they want that relationship. So we save money to use elsewhere, we don’t have a bottomless pit of money

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Right a few things 

BWFC now have a working relationship with City and their academy no they won’t get first refusal but Bolton scouts and coaches get invited to watch city players

It isn’t necessarily experience to oust our number one out, it’s to provide competition and even take the weight off him so he can learn from a player who’s highly regarded at the best academy in the country. 

We take on a city player and we’ll get that relationship to be a club city can use again in the future to develop young players that’s the model in the loan market. Not to go and sign 30 year olds not good enough to get in championship teams

Also with City they won’t want a lot or even any contribution to wages they want that relationship. So we save money to use elsewhere, we don’t have a bottomless pit of money

put like that you are winning me over now its only ffs no

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Right a few things 

All very laudable & in another situation would be fine , but we are currently looking down both relegation barrels & we are being bullied in every area of the pitch so we need some mettle.We are not Man City , we are going to have to scrap this season out & we won’t survive playing kids in key areas.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

All very laudable & in another situation would be fine , but we are currently looking down both relegation barrels & we are being bullied in every area of the pitch so we need some mettle.We are not Man City , we are going to have to scrap this season out & we won’t survive playing kids in key areas.

You were probably saying that this time last year too.

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Right a few things 

All well and good, I'm happy taking on players for the City academy, essentially hoovering up quality youth from all over the place. If they want to use us as a testing ground for some I'm all in. 

But when we need a keeper to bring experience and challenge our current option who has shown a lack in key areas of leadership, this shouldn't be the move we make. 

And looking down at players on the benches of Championship sides isn't the stance I'd take when ours looks like he'd struggle to make many League 2 squads. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

No I wasn’t but do carry on.

On 02/01/2021 at 19:28, Take Hunt Off said:

The absence of real wingbacks negates the system that Evatt tries to play eg today’s team.We are all hoping he signs the right players that will be comfortable with his system because he won’t change it which shows both stubbornness & lack of experience. I don’t want him sacked but we as a club are on thin ice .He has to get it right & get some points on the board.Pragmatism comes through experience, trouble is we don’t want to be his learning curve & finish up in the relegation zone.

Not exactly the same, but similar.

We were all saying a couple of weeks that we need some experienced old heads, this kid might end up being brilliant but he was second choice at Accrington. 

The difference Gilks made when he came in last year was as significant as any signing we made. Surely with all the contacts our staff have finding someone that can organise and manage our defence can not be too much to ask. 

Putting it in simple terms we have bought 3 keepers in under Evatt, 2 young with potential, one old and knackerred, which worked best ? So why go down the route that has already not worked. Watching the first goal last night it is poor from Dixon as well as the defenders. 

• Members

Honestly can't grasp the point of bringing in another child with little experience as keeper , what are our current keepers going to learn from him ?  As Ani says above the diference bringing experience of gilks was significant (proven to work) we need to be replicating that again in this window IMO.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, burnden said:

Honestly can't grasp the point of bringing in another child with little experience as keeper , what are our current keepers going to learn from him ?  As Ani says above the diference bringing experience of gilks was significant (proven to work) we need to be replicating that again in this window IMO.

Well it certainly wouldn’t do much for Dixon’s head-space. We already brought in a kid (Crellin) and found out he was shit. If we did the same with Dixon and replace him with someone else inexperienced where does it stop?

Do we still have a scouting set up? Who is in charge of looking for keepers?

5 minutes ago, burnden said:

Baffling, if true, to me 

An experienced keeper is probably going to want £1500 a week+ 

Doubt we'll be paying anywhere near those wages for this lad. 

Imagine Evatt feels that salary can be better spent elsewhere?

Anyway - can I be the first to say 'booooo' to all our new signings so that I can look clever if they don't turn out to be world class? 

2 hours ago, meanderson93 said:

I'm absolutely baffled by takes like this.

It's taken him a while to get himself going but I'd say he's comfortably looked out most dangerous and consistent attacking threat for a while now, it's a huge miss, especially considering the alternatives we currently have at our disposal. 

I certainly won't be one defending Evatt at the minute, but not really sure the use of attacking players is a point that you can criticise him for. 

Have to agree about kachunga , had my doubts at first but his class was starting to show in his last few games.

Agree we could do with a more experienced keeper than Trafford, his record doesn't look great either. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play however.

What's Evatt's obsession with baby-faced GKs. Looks like Thogden

james-trafford.jpg

Dixon looked so small in net yesterday compared to the Wycombe players. On his wikipedia it says he's 6'4 he really doesn't look it. Trafford 6'6. Not that height determines how good a goalie is but need someone who has a bit more presence in goal.

Hopefully he's a bit more vocal than Dixon. Was like Chalk & Cheese the amount of instructions he barks out compared to Gilks.

3 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

ffs. Evatt has some blind spots but his most obvious one is at goalkeeper.

After the Crellin debacle, having to get an aging but capable coach reserve up to speed, loaning the Burnley lad & never once playing him, signing a 'better-than-Crellin Dixon, and now looking at loaning anothing ameoba wtf is going on in his head ?

Get a capable, competent, experienced one for God's sake. They are available & everywhere. It's actually a position that gains you points. It's worth the expense. If it puts Dixon's nose out of joint ... good. Let him fight for his place.