Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't think Dixon is anywhere near being our biggest issue myself. First and foremost, we need to start finishing our chances.

Nope first and foremost you need a strong back line and build from there 

56 minutes ago, Ani said:

Anyone denying he should have done better having watch the replay is an idiot 

Anyone blaming him for the second is an idiot 

Given as usual on here you seem to have be 100% blaming or 100% defending him it means the site is full of idiots.

Yet I keep coming back must be an idiot 

anyone upset that he didn't catch the 1 on 1 save he did in the first half I'd a idiot too

• Site Supporter

Strange that prior to Breightmet Boy’s comment just now, nobody seems to have mentioned the 1 v 1 he blocked on about 20 minutes. 9/10 times that is a goal. 
Let’s make an effort to dwell at least as much on his positives as his negatives and one or two may realise he ain’t that bad really.

7 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Strange that prior to Breightmet Boy’s comment just now, nobody seems to have mentioned the 1 v 1 he blocked on about 20 minutes. 9/10 times that is a goal. 
Let’s make an effort to dwell at least as much on his positives as his negatives and one or two may realise he ain’t that bad really.

I don't think he's that bad just not a Number one in League 1 

Not bad as a back up 

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, pauldeva said:

I don't think he's that bad just not a Number one in League 1 

Not bad as a back up 

Come off it! Call it what it is; Third Division. I grew up watching Charlie Wright in goal in the Third Division so don’t tell me Dixon isn’t good enough at this level.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Come off it! Call it what it is; Third Division. I grew up watching Charlie Wright in goal in the Third Division so don’t tell me Dixon isn’t good enough at this level.

I grew up watching Eddie Hopkinson 

And Charlie Wright was not a bad goalkeeper , played 500 league matches.

Dixons 28 and played half a season

So yes, Im telling you Dixon isn't good enough at this level

4 hours ago, desperado said:

But I genuinely feel like that’s across the board for lower level keepers. I can’t remember an opposition keeper having a blinder against us in the last 2 seasons either (Although it would help if we could get some meaningful shots on goal, but that’s a different debate! 😂)

But even in games we’ve won, narrowly lost/drawn when we’ve played well I can’t recall an amazing performance from a keeper at this level. Although that Cambridge fella had a belter against Newcastle last week. 

I agree we rarely see an opposition keeper having a blinder against us, unfortunately as you say its difficult to judge a keeper against our current standard of shooting/heading/dead balls! 

Last season Cheltenham's keeper made some top saves in the 1-1 draw, Josh Griffiths, he was on loan from WBA and is now Lincoln's, first choice, on loan. 

And yes if Cambridge had Dixon in goal instead of Mitov I'm afraid there's no upset at Newcastle last week.  And its not just the saves that make the TV highlights, its clear as day we need a keeper to command his box and take the pressure off the CBs, instead of adding to it.

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

Charlie Wright was still GK coach in the 80s i believe.

Charlie Wright ran the shoolboy & youth coaching prior to his short stint as manager. He was the sweariest man I've ever known. He could hyphenate a swearword and install another one into it. He was also, like Gilks, blessed with a foghorn of a voice. The locals around Bromwich St. actually complained about his language at one point.

He & his team coached our centre-halves and centre forward how to 'accidentally' flick their heads back into the faces/noses of their marker. I learnt what 'leaving your foot in' really meant, and a 'two footed tackle'. I was already adept at taking the man AND ball and 'following through' on a tackle, plus all the shithousery of holding, pulling, nipping & generally niggling.

He'd not be let anywhere near coaching these days.

He was, nonetheless, a good guy. Just not one to upset.

Can’t say I’m too bothered about it as I don’t think Dixon is our biggest problem but I also don’t think he’s the best keeper we could have.

However, maybe Evatt wants Hutchinson to go out on loan again, but possibly to L2 or National League, and therefore continuing to increase the experience of one of our own players; maybe Gilks said that he’s not interested in being on the bench, he signed up to be a coach and therefore if he’s not No.1 then he wants to go back to that role; and therefore we have got this lad as a back up / challenger to Dixon, whilst spending little-to-no money and also getting in City’s good books, giving us a better chance of loaning some of their other kids later down the line?

That might all prove to be a load of shit, if Hutchinson stays and we never see another City loanee then we’ll know for sure, but I just can’t see that Evatt is seeing something different to 90% of the fans.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I just can’t see that Evatt is seeing something different to 90% of the fans.

At the risk of perpetuating this circular conversation...

Evatt saw Crellin & Dixon as good keepers, so yes he does see something different to 90% of us.

7 minutes ago, Traf said:

At the risk of perpetuating this circular conversation...

Evatt saw Crellin & Dixon as good keepers, so yes he does see something different to 90% of us.

As well as being convinced our current shower of shit are capable of carrying off Barcelona 2008 style football on cold tuesday nights in random towns across the north of England.