Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

17 hours ago, Traf said:

062086AB-5D82-40E4-9E4E-96D0C116DC38.thumb.png.a0bdd55dff8e0ba3cea18580f8c0437a.png

Bascially, not one of them good enough to play League 1.

Performed heroics for a game v Coventry, though. Probably end up being their career highlight.

Some of these are not even playing anymore, some are at semi pro level.

Good luck to them all.

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Just emphasises how few players actually make it

This.

Even more so nowadays. It's just a massive sausage machine where they stick kids in at ever younger ages and see  what comes out at the other end.

Not sure it's too healthy if I'm honest. 

Edited by mickbrown

20 hours ago, Traf said:

062086AB-5D82-40E4-9E4E-96D0C116DC38.thumb.png.a0bdd55dff8e0ba3cea18580f8c0437a.png

Bascially, not one of them good enough to play League 1.

Performed heroics for a game v Coventry, though. Probably end up being their career highlight.

Makes me admire them even more that. I think many of us suspected this would be the case but when we needed it these lads turned out.

Thanks and best of luck to them 

30 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Absolutely mate, quite sad really. Ruthless industry.

Has been for some time , all these lads need a plan B just in case 

son in law was in Wanderers youth set up years ago , fortunately he completed his college studies so when he didn’t make the grade he had an alternative despite the disappointment.

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Just emphasises how few players actually make it

More so than ever now given the number who come in, at all levels, from abroad.  That should shunt very good talent down to the tier below and raise the overall quality bit when you see imports playing at Division 3, 4 and even non-league it puts terrific pressure on new home grown talent.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

This.

Even more so nowadays. It's just a massive sausage machine where they stick kids in at ever younger ages and see  what comes out at the other end.

Not sure it's too healthy if I'm honest. 

It’s also unfair on grassroots kids’ teams who nurture these kids then lose them to clubs as far away (from Bolton) as Tranmere, Rochdale, Burnley and pretty much every club closer just swoop in and decimate teams. The kids taken on by the pro-teams can only play for their school away from the club.

Ashley Fletcher was one such kid, one of around 5 or 6 taken from Eagley Rangers and, as far as I’m aware, the only one who got beyond playing at U15 level.

Of the 11 on that picture, 7 arguably still have professional contracts, not necessarily getting much football but still with a chance to have a career: 4 of the 5 on the back row if we include Brockbank; on the front row Darcy, Politic and Weir still playing (Weir for Budapest in Hungarian top division). 

Joe White's at FC United.  The biggest surprise to me is Sonny Graham, I thought he had something, very composed on the ball at 17/18 years old.  According to Wiki he plays for a team in his local town Morecambe in Mid Lancs League, hopefully he gets back to a decent level.

7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Of the 11 on that picture, 7 arguably still have professional contracts, not necessarily getting much football but still with a chance to have a career: 4 of the 5 on the back row if we include Brockbank; on the front row Darcy, Politic and Weir still playing (Weir for Budapest in Hungarian top division). 

Joe White's at FC United.  The biggest surprise to me is Sonny Graham, I thought he had something, very composed on the ball at 17/18 years old.  According to Wiki he plays for a team in his local town Morecambe in Mid Lancs League, hopefully he gets back to a decent level.

What happenned to the lad who got a bad injury ?     Double barrel surname if I remember right.  

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Think this could be great signing, not worked out at millwall but his record at Reading at championship level looks impressive and he was fans favourite at wolves. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper