Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Of the 11 on that picture, 7 arguably still have professional contracts, not necessarily getting much football but still with a chance to have a career: 4 of the 5 on the back row if we include Brockbank; on the front row Darcy, Politic and Weir still playing (Weir for Budapest in Hungarian top division). 

Joe White's at FC United.  The biggest surprise to me is Sonny Graham, I thought he had something, very composed on the ball at 17/18 years old.  According to Wiki he plays for a team in his local town Morecambe in Mid Lancs League, hopefully he gets back to a decent level.

I hear graham's attitude would have to massively change if he's going to have a career

A young bolton player was asked to travel with the first team to an away game early last season.  Said player had made plans so turned down the opportunity

These two sentences may not be linked

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The notice said we were almost at double figures for the number of Icelanders we've had.

Who are they all?

Gudjohnsen

Bergsson

Steinsson

Helguson

Bodvarsson

Gunlaugsson

I think there were at least a couple of youth prospects around the early 2000s who failed. I'm pretty sure one of them was a goalkeeper. 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Last 29 year old Icelandic player we signed was Gudni. Last striker we signed from Millwall was John McGinlay. Not bad omens! 

Didn't we sign Liam Trotter from Millwall?

Edited by Blondi

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

Best long range passer in our team

Arguably Williams and especially Santos are the best long range passers, but Dapo definitely the most incisive, imaginative passer.  Capable of threading sublime 25/30 yard balls on the deck to get someone behind the defence, great to watch.  Sometimes seems wasted on the wing given that he doesn't like to cross it and doesn't have much of a left foot.

1 hour ago, Deanu said:

If Bod was banging them in at champ level we wouldn't have a chance at getting him, same with Kacha where they have pedigree at that level without being goalscorers its up to Evatt to try get the best out of them. We have to make goalscorers with coaching like Morecambe have done with Stockton, like we've done to some extent with Dapo. Wigan just signed Magennis who's an absolute donkey at champ level but gets respectable numbers in his few seasons at L1, hopefully this guy can get a decent return for us at this level

That's a very good point.  I'd take Magennis at this level and wouldn't touch him at Champ level.  Madine another example.  Then there was Proctor that was the worst striker I've seen for us, but seemed to have something approaching a decent scoring record in league 2.  Fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Gudjohnsen

Bergsson

Steinsson

Helguson

Bodvarsson

Gunlaugsson

I think there were at least a couple of youth prospects around the early 2000s who failed. I'm pretty sure one of them was a goalkeeper. 

Birkir Kristinsson was the goalkeeper, 98/99. He was 34 by the time he signed for us, finished on 72 caps but still never had a sniff of the first team behind Jussi and Banks. 

The new eidur

Anyone saying different is fake news. 

It's like 1999 all over again. 

So he was 7 when he said he knew eidur was here. And probably not born when gudni signed for us. 

I'm calling it now... He's a bullshitting bastard but will still be amazing for us! 

#katonaesprawnring