Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

44 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

Interesting comment about strikers too. Baka's record was abysmal before he came to us. Whoever saw that spark/potential in him did a cracking job.

17 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Same with Bod. Scored more with us than 3 years at millwall. 

I think Chris Markham & his team have played a very under-stated role this season, identifying and acquiring players to fit Brand Evatt/football the Bolton way.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Traf said:

I think Chris Markham & his team have played a very under-stated role this season, identifying and acquiring players to fit Brand Evatt/football the Bolton way.

Did an incredible job at Huddersfield 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Get them in early, sheehan, Lee, Isgrove, Dempsey on a good pre season we’ll be in a good place 

I agree. Though I wonder whether Isgrove might become one of those players who ends up being loaned out or sold. Kachunga certainly comes in to that category too. Thomason may end up being loaned potentially. My ideal would be to loan Aimson and bring in two real high quality CBs. To be fair to Aimson he's not let us down in the last few games.

• Members
10 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I agree. Though I wonder whether Isgrove might become one of those players who ends up being loaned out or sold. Kachunga certainly comes in to that category too. Thomason may end up being loaned potentially. My ideal would be to loan Aimson and bring in two real high quality CBs. To be fair to Aimson he's not let us down in the last few games.

Isgrove fully fit will be a good squad player. Especially off the bench presses high holds the ball well, couple of goals in him.

Gets the nod for me over Kachunga and Amaechi 8 days a week 

35 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Isgrove fully fit will be a good squad player. Especially off the bench presses high holds the ball well, couple of goals in him.

I don't disagree. It's a question of whether there's better out there given where we want to be. 

It's like I said the other day, Rioch got rid of Reeves, Philliskirk, Storer, Came and a few others in the year we got promoted. Not much room for sentiment when progressing rapidly.

35 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Definitely where I'm at. 
I know we've moved on, but Isgrove was (IMO) pivotal to our upturn in fortunes in League 2. When we play the more physical teams, he's more likely to stand his ground than the piss weak Kachunga, who has less fight in him than the lion in Wizard of Oz.

We're well stocked with good forwards. Maybe only 2 of them higher quality than this division requires, Dapo and Celine ... possibly add The Bod to that. This covers wings and strikers.

In midfield we are truly blessed & some excellent work done this season. Maybe the elusive football capable destroyer missing.

Wing backs, 3 good ones, could maybe do with a 4th. Fossey would be a dream of course.

Centre Backs, interesting that we all dreaded Santos not being available but in his absence the others have done well ... food for thought. Would still be nice to add a second Santos if such things exist.

Then, the keeper. Does Trafford re-sign ? If not we need a good one. They are out there.

Any additions would just add to our ability.

2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Decent squad player isgrove 

I think Isgrove’s just a bit short at this level personally Radcliffe, especially if we manage to bring Marlon in. With Sadlier also ahead of him in my view, I’d be looking to move both Izzy and Kachunga on. Even if we didn’t manage to bring Fossey back, I’d still look to bring in someone better if we seriously are to make a serious promotion push. I do like Izzy and he does work hard but his final ball and end product are just lacking to me. Maybe IE might try to extend Xav’s loan next year because he’s really not had much chance this season with his injuries. With a full pre season behind him maybe we’ll see more of his ability?

• Members
13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I don't disagree. It's a question of whether there's better out there given where we want to be. 

It's like I said the other day, Rioch got rid of Reeves, Philliskirk, Storer, Came and a few others in the year we got promoted. Not much room for sentiment when progressing rapidly.

Yeah I get what you mean but for me if he’s to go needs to be one of the last one out .

He’s versatile as well. A bit like Sadlier the kind of player you need in a long season 

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Yeah I get what you mean but for me if he’s to go needs to be one of the last one out .

He’s versatile as well. A bit like Sadlier the kind of player you need in a long season 

A reasonable point. 

I imagine this debate has already played out between Evatt and Markham. Although with fringe contracted players it's often a case of whether there are takers. 

Anyway this is for down the line. Next job is the retained list.

33 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

Wonder if Lockett will get a go next season 

I doubt it tbh.

Unless Senior is being released next week, I'd have expected him to have featured recently. Even Amaechi got a start FFS.

Not sure Evatt's that invested in the youth policy here or maybe they're just not good enough or both.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

TP was my first hero. I fully agree with you on your point but I loved that bloke ha

1 hour ago, Traf said:

I doubt it tbh.

Unless Senior is being released next week, I'd have expected him to have featured recently. Even Amaechi got a start FFS.

Not sure Evatt's that invested in the youth policy here or maybe they're just not good enough or both.

To be fair to Evatt he has given some of the young lads (Senior, Lockett, Pettifer, Tweedley, Riley etc) minutes in the Papa John’s Trophy this season and last.

He also didn’t hesitate to elevate a then 19 year old George Thomason to the starting XI last season who’s highest previous senior experience had been at Northern Premier Level.

As you’ve alluded to though, the reality is most of these lads aren’t and won’t ever be good enough. Just the harsh reality of football.

59 minutes ago, bromers said:

To be fair to Evatt he has given some of the young lads (Senior, Lockett, Pettifer, Tweedley, Riley etc) minutes in the Papa John’s Trophy this season and last.

He also didn’t hesitate to elevate a then 19 year old George Thomason to the starting XI last season who’s highest previous senior experience had been at Northern Premier Level.

As you’ve alluded to though, the reality is most of these lads aren’t and won’t ever be good enough. Just the harsh reality of football.

We've never had so many young players exposed to first team players as when we were just before the takeover, but you knew even from that Bradford game in the JPT that for pretty much every player it would be the highlight of their career.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

On this topic, Regan Riley who joined Norwich 20 months ago has no footprint yet down there.

The lad's only 19½ still but you do wonder if he'd stayed at Div 4 & Div 3 level he'd have seen some playing time.

Or, would he have disappeared from view here too ?

Didn’t play much but looked to have something where he did 

5 hours ago, tomski said:

TP was my first hero. I fully agree with you on your point but I loved that bloke ha

He was a good un. I wasn't sure what to make of it when Rioch potted him but once I'd seen the plan/the upgrade it was all a revelation. That's what I mean, no room for sentiment. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

On this topic, Regan Riley who joined Norwich 20 months ago has no footprint yet down there.

The lad's only 19½ still but you do wonder if he'd stayed at Div 4 & Div 3 level he'd have seen some playing time.

Evatt has selected empty seats on the bench before the young players.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Another one who fell foul of Sarc.