Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

27 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Always finished some awesome physical feat with a flask & some butties.

Fish 'n' Chips, out of newspaper, is my memory.  Often winning a race he'd arrived at late, due to pesky people or doing a good deed & missed the starter's pistol.

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Fish 'n' Chips, out of newspaper, is my memory.  Often winning a race he'd arrived at late, due to pesky people or doing a good deed & missed the starter's pistol.

Definitely loved a chippy tea. I seem to remember him winning a race while running barefoot 'cos he'd forgot his trainers.

Our midfield is stacked but if we do bring another one in as much as I like MJ, an upgraded version would be the next step. A shithouse unit who does the dirty work, imposes himself with his physicality & get around the pitch well. Somebody like a Dominic Ball who's just been released from QPR? 6'2, 85 champ apps in the last 3 seasons, only 26. Hard to picture us still eyeing Hartigan he was heavily linked but that was before the signings of Morley & Dempsey. Presuming we play Dapo as the 10 in the 5-2-1-2 then only two of Morley/Dempsey/Lee/Sheehan/MJ start which means competition is going to be bloody strong in that department but if we want to go up then we will need to assemble the depth to push through the injury crisis & with our high energy style then rotating will be needed at times. It's going to be a very interesting window to see what Ian thinks we need to level up, not expecting many through the door for the first team after bringing many of the summer targets early in Jan but have a postive feeling we'll bring in the specific types to help limit certain weaknesses we're perceived to have to opposing teams.

If we are serious about promotion next season we need four or five players who can comfortably hold their own in the Championship before August, it’s all well and good raiding 1st and 2nd div clubs for their stars, but we need lads who have been in the wars in the Championship recently.   It’s a huge jump as we’ve seen, teams have come straight back down with a whimper, we will have to try and get the experience in as soon as, no leaving it till January this time.

7 hours ago, Deanu said:

Our midfield is stacked but if we do bring another one in as much as I like MJ, an upgraded version would be the next step. A shithouse unit who does the dirty work, imposes himself with his physicality & get around the pitch well. Somebody like a Dominic Ball who's just been released from QPR? 6'2, 85 champ apps in the last 3 seasons, only 26. Hard to picture us still eyeing Hartigan he was heavily linked but that was before the signings of Morley & Dempsey. Presuming we play Dapo as the 10 in the 5-2-1-2 then only two of Morley/Dempsey/Lee/Sheehan/MJ start which means competition is going to be bloody strong in that department but if we want to go up then we will need to assemble the depth to push through the injury crisis & with our high energy style then rotating will be needed at times. It's going to be a very interesting window to see what Ian thinks we need to level up, not expecting many through the door for the first team after bringing many of the summer targets early in Jan but have a postive feeling we'll bring in the specific types to help limit certain weaknesses we're perceived to have to opposing teams.

Dapo has been shit as the '10' Lee is miles ahead of him in that position. I thought he would be suited to it but it does not work. 
Dapo is much better slightly wider. IMO. 

40 minutes ago, Ani said:

Dapo has been shit as the '10' Lee is miles ahead of him in that position. I thought he would be suited to it but it does not work. 

This nailed on - Dapo is far more effective out wide then cutting in.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

If Dapo doesn’t step up to being a 10 (Evatt has already intimated that he thinks he can) we can’t rely on Lee with his injury record, will Sheehan or Dempsey fit that bill? I’m not sure they will so another 10 might be a priority, I wonder if Hartigan is that type.  

• Site Supporter

I really don’t see us signing any midfielders, especially if Iredale signs as him or GJ could deputise for MJ.

Its defence and Keeper all the way we look to improve.

If we suddenly have a few quid to spend because Dapo or Santos go, then maybe we will upgrade Kachunga or Thomason

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ani said:

I’m not wholly disagreeing with this, as I think we’ve seen the best of Dapo out wide so far.

But I thought he finished the season well in the 10 role, he looked dangerous, got into scoring positions, brought others into the game and posed a real threat.

I think it was the Cheltenham away game, he was superb in that role.

He’s the type of player who is that talented he’ll perform well across any of those front positions.

And more importantly he has the character and personality to adapt. Massive player for us next season if we keep him.

4 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Not seen any calls yet for some tough (NO NONSENSE) defenders yet 👇

WW needs up its fucking game I tell you. 

True.

Our defenders should be putting balls out of the ground at some of these little stadia we play at :D

• Members
17 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m not wholly disagreeing with this, as I think we’ve seen the best of Dapo out wide so far.

But I thought he finished the season well in the 10 role, he looked dangerous, got into scoring positions, brought others into the game and posed a real threat.

I think it was the Cheltenham away game, he was superb in that role.

He’s the type of player who is that talented he’ll perform well across any of those front positions.

And more importantly he has the character and personality to adapt. Massive player for us next season if we keep him.

Yeah I have to say I prefer him outside, especially with Fossey in the side because there’s a great balance on the wings , but he has done well there, and the more he’s played there the better he has become. 

That threat of him coming inside and attacking goal is a great weapon. We all know what he’s going to do but you can’t stop it. A league one Arjen Robben, without the massive Shithousery. 

24 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I really don’t see us signing any midfielders, especially if Iredale signs as him or GJ could deputise for MJ.

Its defence and Keeper all the way we look to improve.

If we suddenly have a few quid to spend because Dapo or Santos go, then maybe we will upgrade Kachunga or Thomason

We've got to sign a new holding midfielder. IE himself acknowledged several times last season that MJ was the only one of that variety we had. Certainly some others in the squad can "do a job" there - but one of the fundamental differences between the top 2 and general top half teams is those makeshift arrangements (Johnston in holding midfield etc) not cropping up very often because the squad is well stocked and crafted. I agree with you on the rest of the midfield - we don't need further re-enforcements there.

What is our record with Dapo in the 10 role? Think overall as a team we have done well, certainly no worse than with him out wide.

Yes as an individual he may look less effective but that ability to roam about and occupy defenders across the back line creates more space for others and as a team we can benefit. He will adapt and get better in that position I am sure.

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

I'd agree with more effective but shit? Get to feck

I did consider changing 'shit' but he was for most of the season our most effective player, at times as a '10' much less so. 
I am a massive Dapo fan but in the 10 role he takes too many touches and slows the game down.

it was however his first full season and maybe he could grow into the role but with other options such as Lee and Sheehan (maybe on the latter) I would play our most effective player is his most effective position 

• Members
15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't be doing with this "number 10" bollocks.

A relatively new description- when we were younger, the team had 2 strikers. One might be the big un and the other little, or you might have a deeper lying centre forward.

Putting numbers on it reminds me of egg chasing.

Old money that. 
A 10 used to be alongside the 9, shearer and Sutton, Beardsley and Sir Les. Phillips and Quinn Two centre forwards. One would win the headers the other would anticipate. 

It changed years ago with Bergkamp at Arsenal, coming between the midfielders and forward.
No one plays with a centre forward pairing anymore or a 442 because the game is quicker, better to use wideman and a 10 to do a duo role. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If Dapo doesn’t step up to being a 10 (Evatt has already intimated that he thinks he can) we can’t rely on Lee with his injury record, will Sheehan or Dempsey fit that bill? I’m not sure they will so another 10 might be a priority, I wonder if Hartigan is that type.  

If there's space for another attacker let's get Alfie May!  He has the style of play that suits "in the hole" like Lee and Sheehan have been asked to play a few times, and could be an alternative to Charles as the main scorer.  One of those players that would be grateful to be here and wouldn't have to be a nailed on starter to justify signing him. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If there's space for another attacker let's get Alfie May!  He has the style of play that suits "in the hole" like Lee and Sheehan have been asked to play a few times, and could be an alternative to Charles as the main scorer.  One of those players that would be grateful to be here and wouldn't have to be a nailed on starter to justify signing him. 

He's a good player but I think he probably would have to be a nailed on starter to justify signing him as he's under contract until 2024 and so would command a transfer fee.

In any event he's now 28 years old and I can't see us paying a transfer fee for a 28-year-old, especially one who hasn't ever played above the third tier.