Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Members
26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In your estimation, what percentage are?

Top flight I reckon there’s  at least 3 in every squad and that’s purely because of a decline in small tear injuries and the dieticians who have seen the results. It’s growing in South America in all sports in a big way

A lot more in the womens game as well. 

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Top flight I reckon there’s  at least 3 in every squad and that’s purely because of a decline in small tear injuries and the dieticians who have seen the results. It’s growing in South America in all sports in a big way

What? No bacon butties just before a game?

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Have there been any studies to ascertain why the diet improves small tear injuries?

In terms of the nutrition and biology are proteins in meat, the iron, vitamin d etc causing the problem as opposed to those in pulses etc, or is there something more fundamental that is masked by perhaps just not having a properly balanced diet to suit the needs of being a footballer. 

I'm genuinely intrigued as to what it is that makes the diet better. Possibly the need to ensure their diet is balanced when not eating meat means they spend more time getting it sorted accurately?

23 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Have there been any studies to ascertain why the diet improves small tear injuries?

In terms of the nutrition and biology are proteins in meat, the iron, vitamin d etc causing the problem as opposed to those in pulses etc, or is there something more fundamental that is masked by perhaps just not having a properly balanced diet to suit the needs of being a footballer. 

I'm genuinely intrigued as to what it is that makes the diet better. Possibly the need to ensure their diet is balanced when not eating meat means they spend more time getting it sorted accurately?

Bollox. Drink through it man.

• Members
31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Less inflammation, imbalances in meat based products, which cause fatigue and slow down the recovery process.

Meat and dairy aren’t high in water, so they starve the muscles of hydration which then slows down recovery, if you can’t recover you’ll get more strains , or in football tears. 

Vegan food along with plenty of water and vitamin supplements will have better long term benefits for small injuries, or fast healing processes with more serious injuries.

• Members

I haven’t eaten meat in well over a year and have felt the benefits, only reason I’m not vegan is eggs and milk in my diet and my S&M lifestyle.

Nothing compares to a real leather gimp mask.

• Site Supporter

Interesting. 

Couple of point- you say taking supplements on the veggie diet- surely that means it's not properly balanced. They could also be taken with a diet including meat?

Meat having less water- the proteins etc are made available after digestion, I don't understand how they can starve the muscles of water. Surely that's just folk not drinking enough of the stuff. If you ate dried fruit and veg and didn't drink enough, then you'd suffer similarly.

Some meat proteins for example are more easily digested than those in veg and pulses, so there must be a wider set of processes going on.

Clearly there is something in it, there must be something within the chemistry of the body and the digestive system that explains all this.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Interesting. 

Couple of point- you say taking supplements on the veggie diet- surely that means it's not properly balanced. They could also be taken with a diet including meat?

Meat having less water- the proteins etc are made available after digestion, I don't understand how they can starve the muscles of water. Surely that's just folk not drinking enough of the stuff. If you ate dried fruit and veg and didn't drink enough, then you'd suffer similarly.

Some meat proteins for example are more easily digested than those in veg and pulses, so there must be a wider set of processes going on.

Clearly there is something in it, there must be something within the chemistry of the body and the digestive system that explains all this.

Say for example you eat a sausage barm, what do you need shortly after it? A drink, that’s because it’s high in salt. 
Think of a muscle as dried spaghetti, what happens when it’s wet , it goes soft or in a muscles sense it does loose, the salt in meat dries out muscle.

The muscles are made of tiny fibres, they need hydration to function, otherwise the become dry, tight and short, when muscles are tight and short the fibres break. 
Take that out of your diet, and add hydration and less tears.

Second part is a bit out of my wheelhouse and more of a dieticians expertise but I do know veg can be hard to digest but that’s not always a bad thing because it canbe slow release, and slowly release water, vitamins and minerals, so there must be a chemical reaction why it’s more beneficial. 

38 minutes ago, Mantra said:

If I was a PL player on 50 grand a week and could afford my own chef, I’d go vegan too.

Only meat I’d miss would be steaks

.... & bacon ffs.*

I could happily give up vegetables, except chips  which don't count.

* oh, I forgot. And pork, and lamb, and veal and chicken.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Say for example you eat a sausage barm, what do you need shortly after it? A drink, that’s because it’s high in salt. 
Think of a muscle as dried spaghetti, what happens when it’s wet , it goes soft or in a muscles sense it does loose, the salt in meat dries out muscle.

The muscles are made of tiny fibres, they need hydration to function, otherwise the become dry, tight and short, when muscles are tight and short the fibres break. 
Take that out of your diet, and add hydration and less tears.

Second part is a bit out of my wheelhouse and more of a dieticians expertise but I do know veg can be hard to digest but that’s not always a bad thing because it canbe slow release, and slowly release water, vitamins and minerals, so there must be a chemical reaction why it’s more beneficial. 

Makes sense, though not sure a sausage is the best illustration of meat. :)

If you ate loads of processed veggie burgers and sausages they'd be full of shit too.

Low GI foods make good sense in terms of their energy release, and some of the good ones are surprising.

I reckon the hydration thing is a key issue- I reckon many of us don't take on enough water.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

.... & bacon ffs.*

I could gappily give up vegetables, except chips  which don't count.

* oh, I forgot. And pork, and lamb, and feal and chicken.

Got more into vegetables as I've got older. Pulses too.

Benefits all round, and if it works for our footballers all is well.

Couldn't go entirely without meat, though we have reduced our intake. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Yer click onto transfer gossip and come across what is probably the most sensible conversation in the history of w.w  .

Closed season has strange effects on folk

Haha.

I wonder if Evatt's team look at which players are vegan as part of the scouting programme...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mantra said:

If I was a PL player on 50 grand a week and could afford my own chef, I’d go vegan too.

Only meat I’d miss would be steaks

Wouldn't be too fussed about meat but would miss fish and seafood