Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

I was really pleased when I first heard sheehan was signing. He did very well initially, but went right off, which coincided with our dip.

No doubting his technical ability with the ball, but his tracking back and awareness of opposition runs left a lot to be desired.

Perhaps a stronger defensive side will free him up.

A good problem to have through. 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I was really pleased when I first heard sheehan was signing. He did very well initially, but went right off, which coincided with our dip.

No doubting his technical ability with the ball, but his tracking back and awareness of opposition runs left a lot to be desired.

Perhaps a stronger defensive side will free him up.

A good problem to have through. 

There’ll be some rotation in that midfield 

4 hours ago, Mantra said:

Nahhhh, you lot are actually on the wind up now.

Disclaimer, I ain't saying Sheehan is a bad player but where is this praise coming from??

He's played 15 league games for us this season. Not sure he was ever MOTM in any of them, or even close to being MOTM. Possibly the first day of the season when he scored the FK but other than that, when? Those 15 games were also the highest level he's ever played at in his career. Other than that he's played 26 games for Yeovil and 140 games for Newport. 

Morley is 5 years younger than him and already has over 100 League One appearances. I know that's not a marker of ability as it depends on the context but...

For a guy that's played 15 times in League One, and none of them being remarkable performances I don't see how he's our 2nd best midfielder and/or likely to score 15 goals next season. Only had two players in last 20 years score more than a dozen and that was Dapo and Doyle!

Morley, Lee, Dempsey, MJ are all ahead of him in my opinion. But maybe he will come back from 9 months out and have the season of his life. 

Bravo, was thinking all these things while reading the chain. Then you encapsulated it with this post!!

The goal he scored at Ipswich I thought was class, just stroked it home. And I think with the movement of  Charles rather than Doyle he may look more effective in that role as he does 'have' something.

But playing in 4th div at his age is hardly a marker of some latent talent.

50 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Dapo wasn’t even doing that 15 months ago.. JSL

Sheehan was playing international football at a more than decent level whilst clogging around in the 4th div

all manner of reasons why sometimes all these players aren’t certain levels 

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Bravo, was thinking all these things while reading the chain. Then you encapsulated it with this post!!

The goal he scored at Ipswich I thought was class, just stroked it home. And I think with the movement of  Charles rather than Doyle he may look more effective in that role as he does 'have' something.

I had forgotten about that goal, that was a touch of class, love seeing a goal passed into the net.

Hopefully see a bit more of that next season!

Sheehan is a cracking player at this level. Hopefully comes back from this injury and shows it 

6 hours ago, Mantra said:

You think? Didn't see much special from him before his injury, granted he was playing in a worse squad. 

Scored a nice free kick but my overriding memory of him is being too lightweight and passing the ball straight out of play for a throw-in two weeks in a row when he's the sort of player I would expect to have 100% passing accuracy. Think it was Sunderland (a) and Rotherham (h). I'd have Morley over him any day of the week.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what he can offer next season in the new-look team. But he's only got the one year to prove his worth now after an unfortunate injury. Hope he comes good as he's clearly a good technical player but want to see a bit more from him.

• Moderators

Am not convinced about Sheehan though i know he can finish 

Even less convinced by Dempsey 

But that's because neither have really had a decent run in the side i expect to start next season 

Lee and Morley would easily start ahead of them based on what I've seen so far 

That's not to say they are shit either  

But neither Sheehan or Dempsey have proved they can be a starter for us next season

39 minutes ago, Zico said:

Am not convinced about Sheehan though i know he can finish 

Even less convinced by Dempsey 

But that's because neither have really had a decent run in the side i expect to start next season 

Lee and Morley would easily start ahead of them based on what I've seen so far 

That's not to say they are shit either  

But neither Sheehan or Dempsey have proved they can be a starter for us next season

Exactly where I'm at.

Sheehan and Dempsey may well turn out to be the two best midfielders at the club, but they've not yet shown they can be.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d bet Morley, Dempsey & Williams play more games in midfield than Sheehan and Lee. That’s barring injuries. 

If lee is fit he starts every game for me

Looking forward to seeing a fully fit, full pre season & sharp Dempsey fingers crossed. He had a slow start especially as the attacking midfielder which he was signed to be likely due to lack of sharpness and fitness but for many of his cameos from the bench he made us considerably better especially against some of the tougher midfields to compete against like MK, Oxford, Wigan all away. He's a proper throwback centre mid which I like, main thing going for him is he can do a bit of everything so will give us some much needed balance. Gets stuck in, tenacious, can play a bit, another leader, box to box... hopefully Evatt can unlock it.

The midfield Sheehan was playing in was far too open especially alongside Sarcebitch as they both wanted to be the attacking roaming midfielder but it left MJ way too exposed hence the mad scoring games early on in the season although it was exciting. See how he comes back, if he has a good season contributing well whilst staying fit he should get another year. 

Lee for me is up there as our best presser, he may not press as intensely or as much as Dion & Dapo but Lee just knows when to go all the time bang on. Misses a few sitters here and there but he brings so much to us off the ball aswell as being efficient on it. He was key in the pummelings of Charlton & Sunderland but it'll probably be a Hoolahan at Cambridge type management of him where we'll save him for the harder games.

56 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d bet Morley, Dempsey & Williams play more games in midfield than Sheehan and Lee. That’s barring injuries. 

I'm hoping Williams doesn't. :)

Only because I have hopes that the likes of Dempsey prove to be an upgrade.

8 hours ago, Mantra said:

Very fair assessment

Thats not the way it works on here mate and you know it.

You and Spaznob obviously think Sheehan is the worst player ever to pull on a white shirt and we will all laugh at you when he scores as we think hes the next Xavi.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Deanu said:

Looking forward to seeing a fully fit, full pre season & sharp Dempsey fingers crossed. He had a slow start especially as the attacking midfielder which he was signed to be likely due to lack of sharpness and fitness but for many of his cameos from the bench he made us considerably better especially against some of the tougher midfields to compete against like MK, Oxford, Wigan all away. He's a proper throwback centre mid which I like, main thing going for him is he can do a bit of everything so will give us some much needed balance. Gets stuck in, tenacious, can play a bit, another leader, box to box... hopefully Evatt can unlock it.

The midfield Sheehan was playing in was far too open especially alongside Sarcebitch as they both wanted to be the attacking roaming midfielder but it left MJ way too exposed hence the mad scoring games early on in the season although it was exciting. See how he comes back, if he has a good season contributing well whilst staying fit he should get another year. 

Lee for me is up there as our best presser, he may not press as intensely or as much as Dion & Dapo but Lee just knows when to go all the time bang on. Misses a few sitters here and there but he brings so much to us off the ball aswell as being efficient on it. He was key in the pummelings of Charlton & Sunderland but it'll probably be a Hoolahan at Cambridge type management of him where we'll save him for the harder games.

Good post and in paragraphs too 😂👍.

I agree a good pre-season for Dempsey could be the key to him getting a consistent run in the side.

And using Lee sparingly and efficiently I’m sure will be high in Evatt’s thinking.

And unlike @DazBob I still think MJ has a big part to play.

Some nice midfield dilemmas. Top of the list though IMO has to be Morley. 

My guess is that Dempsey will become our 1st choice midfielder & possibly captain, with MJ or a MJ upgrade - Dempsey isn't a defensive midfielder - alongside either Morley or Sheehan with Morley currently frontrunner.

Having Lee, Sheehan, Thomasson ( & MJ if we recruit a bruiser ) in reserve gives us real strength in depth in midfield which should help prevent another big slump if we pick up a few injuries.

11 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

My guess is that Dempsey will become our 1st choice midfielder & possibly captain, with MJ or a MJ upgrade - Dempsey isn't a defensive midfielder - alongside either Morley or Sheehan with Morley currently frontrunner.

Having Lee, Sheehan, Thomasson ( & MJ if we recruit a bruiser ) in reserve gives us real strength in depth in midfield which should help prevent another big slump if we pick up a few injuries.

Could be a case of mixing it up for home/away games?

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Could be a case of mixing it up for home/away games?

Absolutely, horses for courses like playing Lee in the bigger games, rotating players without weakening the team which gives players more recovery time & should reduce injuries.  All good !! 

57 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Absolutely, horses for courses like playing Lee in the bigger games, rotating players without weakening the team which gives players more recovery time & should reduce injuries.  All good !! 

Absolutely

Great going into summer without having to think 'ffs we need 9 new players minimum'