Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Hub seems to be just throwing random names with us, in which I highly doubt we're in for Assal unless we see him as a Dapo replacement. Assal is a kid with tons of hype behind him being one of the most promising talents in L1 to the point that even the England youth setup have started to involve him even though he only plays for Wimbledon. He tends to play off the striker just in behind, a bit lightweight but definitely makes things happen & the sort to get fans off their seats. He would fit in as the young, pacey, versatile attacker who can play up top, in behind or even the wings but seeing as he still has two years on his contract it may not be a position we want to spend cash money on at the moment unless obviously we lose the starman🌟

On 17/05/2022 at 22:59, paulhanley said:

Big Sam was the right man at the right moment for us and when he was with us I feared for us when he left. Most of us just knew Sammy Lee was the wrong appointment even in 2007. It was as if we got one decision unbelievable right in 1999, lived off it for eight years and then got loads of stuff wrong thereafter. I guess there's a counter-argument to say way we did quite well to sustain five Prem years post-BSA. Up until Sam we'd had four top flight seasons in 37. (1964-2001)

In summary a club our size was always going to struggle to sustain 8,6,8,7 in the Prem. We fought a rearguard but then Coyle made horrible decisions and also got unlucky with injuries. Freedman was dreadful, Lennon was the right man at the wrong time. 

There's an A level essay question in there somewhere: "To what extent did Bolton's relegation become inevitable when Sam Allardyce left and could BWFC ever sustain that level of success in the top flight again?"

We can call it good luck appointing Sam in 1999 but we could equally give Gartside credit for bringing in someone who loved the club and brought progressive ideas to the interview. Either way we got it dead right. 

But for me 2007 was his single biggest failing. We were a top 8 prem team, in the uefa Cup. Aside of let's say the existing top 8 managers in the big leagues we should have had a chance to attract pretty much any other manager. 

We didn't even advertise the fucking job. He gave it to little Sam in a playground effort to piss big Sam off. 

You could argue they didn't want to give someone a budget but we soon started spending like a drunken sailor. 

Everything else flows from that fuck up. 

5 hours ago, Flannel Truscott said:

We can call it good luck appointing Sam in 1999 but we could equally give Gartside credit for bringing in someone who loved the club and brought progressive ideas to the interview. Either way we got it dead right. 

But for me 2007 was his single biggest failing. We were a top 8 prem team, in the uefa Cup. Aside of let's say the existing top 8 managers in the big leagues we should have had a chance to attract pretty much any other manager. 

We didn't even advertise the fucking job. He gave it to little Sam in a playground effort to piss big Sam off. 

You could argue they didn't want to give someone a budget but we soon started spending like a drunken sailor. 

Everything else flows from that fuck up. 

The appointment of Little Sam in terms of continuity made some sense, the immediate change of personnel and trying to change how we played did nt.

Give Little Sam the job to keep the ball rolling , but then change everything was utter nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Gartside kept his promise to little Sam- he'd requested to be given a crack at the top job should big Sam leave, apparently when the club was looking to bring him in. Gartside agreed and gave him a go when BSA left.

That's my memory. His coaching skills were never in doubt, at the highest level. He'd been #2 to the remarkable Big Sam  and he'd been assured he'd get the nod.

It was a mistake, of course. But can you imagine the clamour if Gartside had gone back on his word ? A word, in retrospect, he'd been foolish to give.

Add that to our pretty poor advance recruitment. Braaten, Willhemsen, the unfortunate injury to Dzemeli. Plus losing Faye.

By the time (was it 8 games ?) he was shown the door our recruitment pool was pretty sparce ... Megson and Souness the two runners. We know there was better out there but did a piss-poor job of hunting them out.

Owd sourface Megson was a poor choice and the fans set against him from the second he was announced. He then made no efforts to bridge that gap.

Look at that shit

Year.                League.            Pos.     Pts.

2018-19 Championship 23 32 Relegated - Parkinson
2017-18 Championship 21 43 Parkinson
2016-17 League One 2 86 Promoted - Parkinson
2015-16 Championship 24 30 Relegated - Lennon/Phillips
2014-15 Championship 18 51 Lennon
2013-14 Championship 14 59 Freedman/Lennon
2012-13 Championship 7 68 Coyle/Freedman
2011-12 Premier League 18 36 Relegated - Coyle
2010-11 Premier League 14 46 Coyle
2009-10 Premier League 14 39 Megson 
2008-09 Premier League 13 41 Megson
2007-08 Premier League 16 37 Lee/Megson
2006-07 Premier League 7 56 Allardyce/Lee
Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Tbh if I had fans slating me and wanting me out even before I managed a game I wouldn’t be quick to be bridging gaps

Or maybe take up the challenge, prove your worth, and consequently make those folk eat their words.

A number were unsure about Evatt, but he's shown to be decent.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Or maybe take up the challenge, prove your worth, and consequently make those folk eat their words.

A number were unsure about Evatt, but he's shown to be decent.

Totally different imo

megson had cranks with bedsheets and hammering phone ins before he started, fans expectations was still of Sam days

IE came in the re building time 

Megson is a bitter poisonous man.

Part of being a manager is dealing with public and especially fans, he could not do it.

The fact he has never had a decent job in the years since he left us tells you what people think of him

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

Megson is a bitter poisonous man.

Part of being a manager is dealing with public and especially fans, he could not do it.

The fact he has never had a decent job in the years since he left us tells you what people think of him

Or he doesn’t want the hassle and doesn’t need the money after we paid him off

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Or he doesn’t want the hassle and doesn’t need the money after we paid him off

Maybe, but he did back room work with Pullis after he left and made out it showed people in the game appreciated him.

Just another ex footballer who failed as a manager. 

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

Maybe, but he did back room work with Pullis after he left and made out it showed people in the game appreciated him.

Just another ex footballer who failed as a manager. 

Ginger cunt anyway. Enough said 

Megson was a disaster and if memory serves me we even paid a fee for him. As for Lee, his brand of football was never going to work with the squad we had and we either had to give him time to change it or get rid, which we did. Given where we’d been under Sam, expectations for a replacement were much higher than Megson and that i think is why he was railed against from the start. Instead of reacting negatively though, if he’d at least tried to get onside with the fans it might have been very different. He didn’t and the rest is history.

Edited by Whitesince63