Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Megson is a bitter poisonous man.

Part of being a manager is dealing with public and especially fans, he could not do it.

The fact he has never had a decent job in the years since he left us tells you what people think of him

I still delight in his demand for 12 months pay off, but the contract said he'd only be paid whilst not in work & continue to be paid monthly.

He squealed like a stuck pig about how unfair this was. THEN decided that he'd sit it out for 12 months & just collect the salary.

I also recall that the charisma-free twat was on tv a lot for a while & we were a target for the know-alls on tv who were quick to criticise us for sacking him.

All that said, the vitriol that a group of fans poured on him, even before he took up the job was appalling. One very up-himself ginger in particular went big on him.

Megson was his own worst enemy. At first he acknowledged that it was only a minority of fans voicing their disapproval. The initial abuse was completely unwarranted, make no mistake.

It wasn't long however before he started tarring us all with the same brush. Including most of those that were behind him ffs. Career suicide.

Let's say there were 500 fans out of 20,000 giving him stick first; what good is criticising your entire support every week going to do, other than turn people against you? Not once has he ever seemed to realise why he got alienated.

He just prefers to peddle the same lines whenever asked:-
- They didn't like me and I didn't like them either (regarding an ENTIRE fanbase btw)
- I was the first Bolton manager to beat United at home in X years
- Bottom of the league when I joined
- Draw at Bayern, knocking Atletico out of Europe etc.

He did some good; the European results, the survival run in 2008, Cahill, Muamba and Taylor among others were all decent signings.
He was the biggest contributor to his downfall. Not that he'll ever admit to it.

Would he have kept us up in 11/12? Definitely. It was poisonous with him in charge though, and he is largely responsible for the atmosphere, regardless of whether he thinks it was the fans fault or not.  

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Totally different imo

megson had cranks with bedsheets and hammering phone ins before he started, fans expectations was still of Sam days

IE came in the re building time 

Folk still had some concerns, and yes it wasn't as bad as what Megson got, but Megson completely justified the antipathy. 

If he felt it was too strong he could have not taken the job. Instead he came in apparently an angry man. A vibe he spread throughout. Club lost contact with fans and it turned nasty.

He now sneers at us and doesn't seem to consider that anything was his fault.

Well according to a member of the first team squad, with a big gob I've just overheard discussing things in the gym.

Dapo wants championship wages and is eyeing a move. Santos wants to stay despite folk telling him that he could get champ money if he upped sticks. 

This player would be off too if he got offered better money elsewhere. 

Fuck him off then if he’s trying to hold us to ransom in my opinion

hell earn champ money when he’s a champ player. Either with us or somewhere else. 

for too long we pandered to players demands when we simply couldn’t afford it. As soon as FV fold once they’ll be bent over for the rest of their days here 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Well according to a member of the first team squad, with a big gob I've just overheard discussing things in the gym.

Dapo wants championship wages and is eyeing a move. Santos wants to stay despite folk telling him that he could get champ money if he upped sticks. 

Cheeky cunt.

Played a season and a half in proper football in suddenly wants a packet.

Hopefully it's just talk, especially as he's just been in the paper saying he wants to achieve things with us.

In fairness though I don't suppose we've been paying top dollar, and hopefully we can loosen the purse strings a bit.

Given our season ticket sales, and crowd size, you'd expect us to be able to compete with most league one sides in terms of wages- guess we'll see.

Can’t blame them for wanting more money and all that, but lets not let anyone hold us to ransom.

If players are chasing top dollar, maybe they’re not for us and haven’t bought into where are and what we are trying to achieve.

We’ll thrive without either of them if truth be known.

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Did he say anything about whether he'd be willing to play in a pub league?

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

If him or anyone else wants to go fine

get it done early doors and a decent fee 

Neither has actually said this other than by paranoid rumour yet we're on their backs already.

Then we'd call THEM for being disloyal.

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm not saying that this player is right. But I am telling you what I overheard. 

He wasn't exactly being discreet about it. 

I hae no doubt that you heard this.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You can't blame him for not saying who it was.

There must have been at least two people involved too, unless the anonymous one was talking to himself.

Kent heard a player (unknown) talking to someone else (who may, or may not be one of the follwing: Another player, a butcher, H from Steps, or some guy picking up his daughter) about Dapo & Santo's outlook on the move.

Unless I have completetly misread it, he didnt hear Santos, Dapo and A.N.Other player disussing their plans. If I had, I apologise.

Sad state of the game at every level where a player whose had 1 decent season in first team football maybe starts to believe his own hype and expects to be earning above his level without earning it. 

the jury is def still out for me whether he’d make a good championship player at all let alone get paid accordingly for being one 

31 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I hae no doubt that you heard this.

Kent heard a player (unknown) talking to someone else (who may, or may not be one of the follwing: Another player, a butcher, H from Steps, or some guy picking up his daughter) about Dapo & Santo's outlook on the move.

Unless I have completetly misread it, he didnt hear Santos, Dapo and A.N.Other player disussing their plans. If I had, I apologise.

☝️

This is all true. I wouldn't read loads into the Dapo or Santos' future based on what I overheard (twice by the way).

I'm more just shocked that someone was blabbing about it in public.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, kent_white said:

☝️

This is all true. I wouldn't read loads into the Dapo or Santos' future based on what I overheard (twice by the way).

I'm more just shocked that someone was blabbing about it in public.

I do wonder why you would post something that isnt going to go down well, but protect the big gob spouting off