Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Bayern with a 30mil offer for mane haha wtf

Apparently that includes add ons that are unlikely to happen 

Like him winning the balon dor 3 years in a row 

And them winning the CL 3 years in a row 

Apparently they'd also rather let lewandowski leave on a free next year than sell him now  

Barcelona want him but they're meant to be skint, but RL wants to leave anyway

49 minutes ago, Mantra said:

First day of the transfer window, hoping we tie up a deal today. Would be cool if we signed someone new though that no one had mentioned. Always fun finding out about a new player

We're going to have a lot of 'not quite's' to complete a B team squad as well as people for the first team squad so we'll need to know which is which as well.

I'm still reasonably relaxed. Summers where we make loads of early signings make me wary. I give you 2007 (Sammy Lee and his scattergun) and 2015 (Dougie signing folk like Trotter, Feeney, Danns before the end of May). Summers like that feel like we're paying over the odds for mediocrity.

That being said it'd be nice to get one or two more in over the next week to 10 days while also hearing more about the make up of the B-team. 

The early start to 2022/23 makes June 10 this pre-season more like June 20 in all previous pre-seasons.

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I'm still reasonably relaxed. Summers where we make loads of early signings make me wary. I give you 2007 (Sammy Lee and his scattergun) and 2015 (Dougie signing folk like Trotter, Feeney, Danns before the end of May). Summers like that feel like we're paying over the odds for mediocrity.

That being said it'd be nice to get one or two more in over the next week to 10 days while also hearing more about the make up of the B-team. 

The early start to 2022/23 makes June 10 this pre-season more like June 20 in all previous pre-seasons.

Agreed.  If the season started tomorrow I'd be more than happy with our squad, apart from the obvious (keeper).  Any other improvements are a bonus, especially now that the injury list has largely cleared.  1st games last year, Doyle the lone striker, Delf still a regular back up and Sarcevic a regular.  I'm not going to get concerned if we don't sign Fossey etc, we'll be properly competitive from the off this time and its not often we've thought that recently.

11 minutes ago, Mantra said:

EFL Clubs can use 5 substitutes next year, can only do it 3 times though

Clubs will also be permitted to wear their away or third strips during home fixtures, in order to avoid a kit clash for people who are colour blind. Teams will be allowed to mix and match elements of their various kits in order to prevent this from happening too.

FFS, is nothing sacred anymore ?

13 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

FFS, is nothing sacred anymore ?

I am colourblind to be fair so I don't mind this, but I've not had any trouble recently distinguishing kits.

I used to never be able to tell what was going on in Sunderland v Newcastle though when they both wore their home kits.

14 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I am colourblind to be fair so I don't mind this, but I've not had any trouble recently distinguishing kits.

I used to never be able to tell what was going on in Sunderland v Newcastle though when they both wore their home kits.

Isnt that what away kits are for, not the home team changing theirs ?

17 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Isnt that what away kits are for, not the home team changing theirs ?

Yes and it works most of the time. I don't think they'd ever do it now where Sunderland and Newcastle would both play in home strips.

However, there are still occasionally matches where it doesn't work. Especially for a colourblind person. Don't forget colourblindness affects mostly men who are the main viewers of football.

A hypothetical example would be if we had our normal home kit WhiteTop/NavyShorts. And we played against Port Vale who also have a white home strip. Therefore we have to play in our away kit at their ground.

Now, say our away strip is light blue shirt and shorts. For a colourblind person, light blue vs all white is hard to tell apart, especially on TV where the colours will be compressed and camera will be zoomed out. In this situation, Port Vale could play in their yellow away kit and we could play in blue. Or they could wear their away shorts/top instead. Or we could use our navy blue shorts and light blue top.

Edited by Mantra

56 minutes ago, Mantra said:

EFL Clubs can use 5 substitutes next year, can only do it 3 times though

Not what my choice would be, but as it's happening we have a decent sized squad ... up front & midfield especially as things stand, so no disadvantage to us.

Home teams should play in their home kit. Changes should be made by the visitors.

2 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Yes and it works most of the time. I don't think they'd ever do it now where Sunderland and Newcastle would both play in home strips.

However, there are still occasionally matches where it doesn't work. Especially for a colourblind person. Don't forget colourblindness affects mostly men who are the main viewers of football.

A hypothetical example would be if we had our normal home kit WhiteTop/NavyShorts. And we played against Port Vale who also have a white home strip. Therefore we have to play in our away kit at their ground.

Now, say our away strip is light blue shirt and shorts. For a colourblind person, light blue vs all white is hard to tell apart, especially on TV where the colours will be compressed and camera will be zoomed out. In this situation, Port Vale could play in their yellow away kit and we could play in blue. Or they could wear their away shorts/top instead. Or we could use our navy blue shorts and light blue top.

Jeez, it'd be easier to lend colour blind spectators a rainbow spotting guide dog.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Jeez, it'd be easier to lend colour blind spectators a rainbow spotting guide dog.

haha, as I say I haven't had any trouble recently, 99% of games are very clear.  But it's good there's now an option to mix and match kits in the 1% of situations where both the away teams strips are not high contrast with the home team's home kit.

55 minutes ago, Mantra said:

As a traditionalist, I was pleasantly surprised that Sunderland and Sheff Wed both played in their striped home kits for both legs of the play offs, and both had what looked like identical coloured black shorts and dark socks too.  I'd have thought that was as hard to distinguish for the colour blind person as Newcastle v Sunderland.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

As a traditionalist, I was pleasantly surprised that Sunderland and Sheff Wed both played in their striped home kits for both legs of the play offs, and both had what looked like identical coloured black shorts and dark socks too.  I'd have thought that was as hard to distinguish for the colour blind person as Newcastle v Sunderland.

Good match to bring up. That was pretty bad, not horrendous. But in my opinion that should never have been an option. The problem was that Sheff Weds' away kit was pink with black shorts, so having pink and red was even worse objectively. It should really be a rule that your shorts have to be different colours between home/away kits.

Red/Green colourblindness is most common, which is what I have. That doesn't mean I just can't tell red from green though. All my colours overlap more and are less contrasted. I struggle with green and orange, blue and purple, red and brown, green and yellow. A lot of it is to do with vibrancy/richness/brightness. City blue vs Chelsea blue would be much easier to tell apart for me compared to City blue vs Leeds white even though they're different colours.