Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A lot of bitterness towards a kid that got offered the chance to sign for Celtic, from a League 1 team in turmoil.

Strange

Can't blame the kid ultimately, but wasn't their a bit of animosity over how it came about, rather than the move itself?

Anyway, it's of no consequence to us.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A lot of bitterness towards a kid that got offered the chance to sign for Celtic, from a League 1 team in turmoil.

Strange

It was the trying to break the contract to save Celtic a couple of grand that didn’t sit right. 

Personally not that arsed about it but I get it.

Few decent games for us. He was the only bright spark in our darkest period which doesn’t actually say too much. He was hardly ripping everyone to pieces 

we had cunts going on strike cos there was no bottled water so him trying whatever he could to engineer a move out is fuck all in comparison. Players engineer moves every day and at a much higher level than us. 

his career will probably go the same way as the other local lad who was forced out in order to pay the bills. I’d take what we have now 10 times over anyway 

The thing about Connell was that he'd suposedly gone on tourist stadium tour of Celtic, when he's actually gone there to discuss a move without our club's knowledge or permission.

We never got a chance to sell him on and ended up with some derisory training compensation.

We're in a hole financially and Connell, his family, his advisers & Celtic had no qualms about sticking the boot in.

Therefore, in my eyes, he's a cunt.

9 minutes ago, Traf said:

The thing about Connell was that he'd suposedly gone on tourist stadium tour of Celtic, when he's actually gone there to discuss a move without our club's knowledge or permission.

We never got a chance to sell him on and ended up with some derisory training compensation.

We're in a hole financially and Connell, his family, his advisers & Celtic had no qualms about sticking the boot in.

Fair enough.

Be a cunt in my eyes just for going on the tour but that's just me. Bollox to him

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Traf said:

Suggestion here is we did alright  fee wise 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17738632.celtic-wrap-signing-boltons-luca-connell-generous-fee/

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Depends on how you read that.
Generous to the tune of £100k from a big club, but only giving us the same as we'd have got had he gone to an English club.
Either way, we never got the opportunity to actually sell him for what we felt he might have been worth.

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Traf said:

Generous to the tune of £100k from a big club, but only giving us the same as we'd have got had he gone to an English club.
Either way, we never got the opportunity to actually sell him for what we felt he might have been worth.

Story of our life that when it comes to transfers

I don’t really hold anything against Connell as at that age he wasn’t in much position to know any better and simply went along with his agent and/or parents who were seeing the pound signs and/or the family benefits of being a Celtic player.

However, after a season of barely getting in to the one full time team in the Scottish Second Division, he’s done bloody well to get a move to Barnsley.

In reality, he was just a bright spot at an awful time and we’ll never actually know how well he might have turned out with us. 

55 minutes ago, Traf said:

We were completely fucked, every man and his dog knew that we had to take what we were offered - he was worth what we could get for him in a short amount of time and there was no reason for Celtic to pay us any more than they needed to, it’s business not charity.

I’m sure there are plenty of rumours about him engineering a move, I’m sure most are utter shite. End of the day, a kid got the chance to sign for Celtic and leave a club that could soon be out of business and we got £100k - if you think that deserves a career threatening injury then that’s up to you, but personally I think it’s pretty extreme for a decision that 99.9% of people would have made. I hope he does well and goes on to have a good career.

Wonder when we'll offer Evatt a new contract. We're one year into the 3 year contract he signed at the end of the League 2 season.

Trust Sharon and co but hope they do it sooner rather than later. You know he'll be linked with a few Championship jobs if we're in the top 6 in December.

4 hours ago, Mantra said:

Wonder when we'll offer Evatt a new contract. We're one year into the 3 year contract he signed at the end of the League 2 season.

Trust Sharon and co but hope they do it sooner rather than later. You know he'll be linked with a few Championship jobs if we're in the top 6 in December.

Assuming the first few months of the season doesn’t turn out to be a disaster (not that it mattered the previous two years!), I expect it’ll be on the table by Christmas.