Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

24 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Summat on twatter about Dec John to Wrexham. Surely not

I wouldn’t rule it out completely, money talks and Wrexham have already proved they have deep pockets and after failing last season they’ll be doubling up on ensuring they don’t miss out this year.

12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I wouldn’t rule it out completely, money talks and Wrexham have already proved they have deep pockets and after failing last season they’ll be doubling up on ensuring they don’t miss out this year.

I get that but I felt that in his head it was a stretch to drop below Champs to us in the first place. We’ll see

9 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

There's a bit of a Welsh thing going on in Wrexham & they do have a bit of cash but he's South Wales ... & that does matter in this odd country.

Though, as said, 'money talks', but dropping to Division 5 would be a stretch.

It would kill any slim chance of a wales call up as well. 

Aye, it's not like that Scouser who was at Cambridge.  He chased the coin into the 5th division but at least joined a bigger club when he did so.  No way DJ goes to a smaller club, 2 divisions lower and for the pittance quoted. Nothing to see here.

17 minutes ago, mikepearson said:

Wasn't Parky the manager who froze DJ out at Sunderland? I'd be very surprised if he would drop 2 divisions to play for him again 

He was. 5 months on loan never played one minute. Rumoured to be one of those signed by the recruitment manager but not wanted by the team manager.

It was similar at Swansea too, where he barely played despite joining them after a great time in the Pub League with Rangers.

Sometimes a place suits a player. He, of all people, should know that.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was. 5 months on loan never played one minute. Rumoured to be one of those signed by the recruitment manager but not wanted by the team manager.

It was similar at Swansea too, where he barely played despite joining them after a great time in the Pub League with Rangers.

Sometimes a place suits a player. He, of all people, should know that.

Great point. 

1 minute ago, emus wig said:

Who’s to say parky will be the manager come start of the season ? 

He will be, for sure.

If they have a poor first couple of months, which he is want to do, he'll be gone. There is great enthisiasm, but also great ecpectation. Spent a ruck of money, they want a return.

John isn't bad enough that I'd snatch anyone's hand off if they offered money for him but isn't so good that I'd lose sleep over him leaving.

He's good on his day but only really viable as a wing back because defensively he's not good enough as a full back. Didn't think he was cut out for this level start of last season but he came good towards the end.

500k is a decent offer which I'd probably take if we had someone in mind to bring in on loan or for on a cheaper fee as his replacement. If we have no one else in mind then with 3 weeks until the season starts it's probably not worth it.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Mantra said:

He's good on his day but only really viable as a wing back because defensively he's not good enough as a full back. Didn't think he was cut out for this level start of last season but he came good towards the end.

So long as IE is playing wing backs we need him, 4 goals and 6 assists last season 

Apparently Wrexham signed a left wing back in January on a 2.5 year contract  

Callum McFadzean, who PP also signed at Sunderland when he wasn't picking DJ 

Based on that, not too concerned 

We paid £300k for a lad who had 6 months left on his contract in Jan. £500k for someone with 2 years is low balling in my opinion

John is integral to us whilst we play wing backs and if your gunning for promotion you don’t sell one of your main XI 3 weeks before the season kicks off. Plus it makes no sense to sell one of your own players to bring someone else in on loan from somewhere else. There were times in the not too distant past we’d of snapped anyones hand off for £500k. We’re not in those times anymore