Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Sadlier gets better the less he plays.

He's technically probably the best we have, but to compare him to Dapo is ludicrous.

He wasn't fantastic against Salford and as stated by others, he doesn't fit into Evatt's system. In fact, I'm not sure whose system he does fit into. He's not quick enough to be a winger, he's not mobile enough to press a defence and he's not a defender.

Sounds harsh, as I think that he is a gifted footballer but he's just one of them that is hard to find a position for. He'll forever be a 'first sub' imo. I dearly wanted him to work out but as competition increases (Sheehan, Isgrove returning), his opportunities are decreasing.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Steejay said:

He's technically probably the best we have, but to compare him to Dapo is ludicrous.

He wasn't fantastic against Salford and as stated by others, he doesn't fit into Evatt's system. In fact, I'm not sure whose system he does fit into. He's not quick enough to be a winger, he's not mobile enough to press a defence and he's not a defender.

Sounds harsh, as I think that he is a gifted footballer but he's just one of them that is hard to find a position for. He'll forever be a 'first sub' imo. I dearly wanted him to work out but as competition increases (Sheehan, Isgrove returning), his opportunities are decreasing.

See, I don't get that. Evatt chose to bring him in, and we saw in his first interview that Evatt had spoken about how we played and how we would suit his style of play.

Doesn't suggest at all that he wouldn't fit with our style.

He's also contributed in his few appearances. You can take any game in isolation, but overall his done quite well.

When you compare that to Kacha..

He may of course have turned out to not be a pleasant chap or some such, but without any such information, we can only judge on what we see.

I've been really impressed with Sadlier whenever I've seen him play. I'd love to see him get a start to see what he's capable of over the 90 but I think that's unlikely. I'd be sad to see him go - and even sadder to see him line up against us. He looks excellent at this level to me. 

Absolutely nothing like the new Darcy.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

See, I don't get that. Evatt chose to bring him in, and we saw in his first interview that Evatt had spoken about how we played and how we would suit his style of play.

Doesn't suggest at all that he wouldn't fit with our style.

He's also contributed in his few appearances. You can take any game in isolation, but overall his done quite well.

When you compare that to Kacha..

He may of course have turned out to not be a pleasant chap or some such, but without any such information, we can only judge on what we see.

Oh, I’d pick him before Kachunga every time.

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Both are attacking midfielders, both can play on either wing or through the middle.  They both shoot from distance (a rarity in our current and previous squads) and they can both pick a pass.  Neither would say they are great defensively or good in the air and neither noted for their workrate.  If Dapo is off the pitch for whatever reason - injury, off form etc, I'd say Sadlier is the natural replacement.  Against Salford he scored a superb goal, after a quiet first half like most others.  I agree its hard to find a set position for him currently, I'm just of the opinion he's a bit underused and could cover as you say as "1st sub". 

We've also got to be careful and realistic expecting isgrove and sheehan to return as they were when they were injured. 

The squad is way better now as a whole and they have been out for a long time. 

They've been getting B team game time though so that will help. 

We have 12 players in the final 12m of their contracts. Obviously no rush, though by January they can look around and have discussions. A lot depends on the progress this season of course & what division we're in next year.

Will Aimson

Joel Dixon

Josh Sheehan

Kieran Lee

George Thomason

MJ Williams

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

Elias Kachunga

Amadou Bakayoko

Lloyd Isgrove.

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

We have 12 players in the final 12m of their contracts. Obviously no rush, though by January they can look around and have discussions. A lot depends on the progress this season of course & what division we're in next year.

Will Aimson

Joel Dixon

Josh Sheehan

Kieran Lee

George Thomason

MJ Williams

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

Elias Kachunga

Amadou Bakayoko

Lloyd Isgrove.

Lee, Kachunga and Bodvarsson have good Championship experience but are the wrong side of 30. 

Could we seriously claim any of the rest are Championship standard? I guess Sheehan is an age where hs still has scope to improve, Thomason is still in the very early days of his career and can develop.

When I read that list it does make me think we've got more evolution to go through before we're fit for purpose in terms of automatic promotion contention and we'll need some of these off the books in due course.

Lee & Bod for me for sure. Lee maybe only 12m extra but would he take that ?

Sheehan, if he recovers well, is worth 2 years and I, unlike many, am still a believer in Thomasson. Though the higher division would be an ask. I like Aimson too, but nothing suggests regular Championship level.

Kachunga, thanks but it's not worked. Baka, a big ask too. Williams I'd keep, but we still need an alternative, stronger, nastier type. Isgrove, again depends on how he returns. He was a surprise package to me last year. Certanly not if we went up.

• Site Supporter

The players the club are pretty sure are good enough for the championship are under contract next season. This list, the jury is out on some while others won't be offered a new deal either way.

If we look like doing well, i'd expect the players likely to be good enough squad players for the championship to be offered a deal.

It's almost like we have a plan

15 minutes ago, woolli said:

Need to get some money for Kachunga whist he his under contract. Not good enough, and never will be. 

By that logic who would give us money for him?

I think he's plenty good enough given the other 4 up top and unless we get some Premier league wonder kid in on loan he's staying in the 1st team squad

22 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

By that logic who would give us money for him?

I think he's plenty good enough given the other 4 up top and unless we get some Premier league wonder kid in on loan he's staying in the 1st team squad

2 goals in 36 league appearances since he joined us suggests hes not plenty good enough! And by your logic, he his good enough, so we will get money for him!

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Will Aimson

Joel Dixon

Josh Sheehan

Kieran Lee

George Thomason

MJ Williams

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

Elias Kachunga

Amadou Bakayoko

Lloyd Isgrove.

I’d keep Only MJ, Bod, Baka needs another 10 plus goals to be considered and Sheehan if proving his fitness, the rest I would move on. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

My view on these types of debate (on this occasion Sadlier) is that at the end of the day Evatt and the coaching staff will make the best decisions regarding our players.

There’s so many unknown/behind the scenes aspects - agents, attitude, personalities, personal reasons, training routines/schedules etc etc that it always irks me a little when folk (more on Twatter than on here) categorically make statements about a player or Evatts decisions. And then almost demand they require an explanation.

Very rarely, and quite rightly so, do managers provide all the reasons as to why a player is left out of the side/isn’t fancied/wants rid, or from a players perspective why he wants to leave and how he feels.

Thats not to stifle debate and discussion - this place would be boring without that! I just think there’s a big difference between expressing an opinion on a player from the little we see, to making sweeping/definitive judgments or becoming upset that you “don’t understand Evatts thinking”.

On this particular debate, IMO Sadlier is a skilful, hardworking player who has a finish and a good cross in him. He’s not rapid and as others have commented he really doesn’t fit into a specific position - he seems to fall just a little short in the various positions compared to other players we have.

I think Evatt will only want to get rid if either Sadlier doesn’t want to be here, or if he can bring in better before next week.

Evatts interview about Sadlier is interesting 

quite clear Sadlier is pissed off and asking why he hasn’t been given a fair chance. Evatt acknowledges he has probably not given him a fair chance in his preferred position as a No 10 “and it’s something we need to look at” 

I imagine he’ll be given his chance there on Tuesday. For his clear ability he is a bit of a luxury player. Not really one who will do the closing down and graft without the ball. Against the lesser opposition you can get away with carrying him a little, win it back then give it to him

when given the chance it’s up to Sadlier to prove he’s worth a place against the better sides 

Fair play to the lad is he's knocked on Evatts door.

Shows hes up for it and not afraid to speak his mind and fight for his place.

Better than sulking, causing grief or asking for a transfer. That bog eyed manc could learn a few things.

Hope he gets his chance and proves himself.