Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Sweep said:

He wouldn't, he's absolute dogshit. Why do we need another forward who can't score goals? 

Has anyone on here ever got excited about one of Evatt's signings prior to them arriving? Can't remember anyone salivating at the prospect of Charles or Dapo or Lee? Some even declared Santos "the worst player to ever don the shirt", after his first few games.

Edited by Cheese

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Has anyone on here ever got excited about one of Evatt's signings prior to them arriving? Can't remember anyone salivating at the prospect of Charles or Dapo or Lee? Some even declared Santos "the worst player to ever don the shirt", after his first few games.

I do get that. Santos I still think is a fucking liability though. 

Dapo, Lee and Charles are good though

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Lee - yes

Charles - yes

Maybe not salivating because I'm not a child, but thought they were v good signings 

• Site Supporter

It’s a bit like reading a thread after a defeat.

It gets to this time of the year and all of a sudden tracksuit managers know which players will/won’t be good enough for us based on going on Wikipedia and looking at their stats.

First of all there’s so much more that our recruitment team are looking at, within a budget, based on whole range of criteria. And as Evatt has alluded to already, they are pretty scientific and thorough in their approach, matching qualities to the way he wants to play. Granted they won’t always get it right.

But surely based on a whole host of supposed underwhelming signings going back to SKD and more recently Bod, people should give all our signings a chance and not criticise and right them off before you’ve seen them play?

If Ward is a target based on that process, then I’m going to trust Evatt and his recruitment team rather than Mr-Fan-Know-It-All on social media. 

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Lee - yes

Charles - yes

Maybe not salivating because I'm not a child, but thought they were v good signings 

I must've missed those posts.

Edit: I just checked and you've only ever mentioned Charles in 2 posts. The one above, and one from October when you predicted he'd score against Barnsley.

Edited by Cheese

53 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

This is where I'm at. 

Can say he's got championship experience.. EK has Premiership experience.. accounts for naff all in grand scheme of things. 

We've got a 20 goal a season striker in Dion Charles and the fans keep shouting about this 20 goal Bakayoko....

I've no preference, only looking at stats, but Baka has scored as many as Charles for us.  Goals per minute ratio from open play, without doing the maths, I'd guess Baka is well ahead.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Edit: I just checked and you've only ever mentioned Charles in 2 posts. The one above, and one from October when you predicted he'd score against Barnsley.

Doesn't have to post about anything in order to believe it though!

56 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

This is where I'm at. 

Can say he's got championship experience.. EK has Premiership experience.. accounts for naff all in grand scheme of things. 

We've got a 20 goal a season striker in Dion Charles and the fans keep shouting about this 20 goal Bakayoko....

Difference between having played at a higher level and having a track record of scoring goals.  Kacha has no track record to speak of, Ward has consistently been a good performer/scorer at championship level for many years, no comparison.

32 minutes ago, desperado said:

It’s a bit like reading a thread after a defeat.

It gets to this time of the year and all of a sudden tracksuit managers know which players will/won’t be good enough for us based on going on Wikipedia and looking at their stats.

I'm guilty of looking at stats in this case, but I've seen him play loads of times (on TV obviously) for many clubs since he left us and he's impressed me as a footballer, aside from any stats.  I'm surprised he's listed as a "striker" TBH because he's more than capable as a Matt Taylor type wide player.

I agree if IE and his team have identified him (a big if), its fair to assume he's made of the right stuff and he will fit in.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Difference between having played at a higher level and having a track record of scoring goals.  Kacha has no track record to speak of, Ward has consistently been a good performer/scorer at championship level for many years, no comparison.

Career wise, Danny Ward has played 6 more games and scored 7 more goals.. 

As someones said above, BWFC's scouting has been immense and in Evatt we trust. 

Still reckon he should try Sadlier up there. 

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Sarcevic.

Doyle.

Maddison.

There was general furore over all 3 of those.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm guilty of looking at stats in this case, but I've seen him play loads of times (on TV obviously) for many clubs since he left us and he's impressed me as a footballer, aside from any stats.  I'm surprised he's listed as a "striker" TBH because he's more than capable as a Matt Taylor type wide player.

I agree if IE and his team have identified him (a big if), its fair to assume he's made of the right stuff and he will fit in.

TBF it’s all we can do as fans.

You’re right, if they have identified him, it’s for good and valid reasons.

17 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I really don’t know why Sadlier doesn’t get a start just baffles me .

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

I really don’t know why Sadlier doesn’t get a start just baffles me .

He’s growing on me and he definitely has some good qualities. I don’t want him to go. He’s versatile and can be a game changer.

But just for debate who would you have started him for yesterday? 

Edited by desperado

21 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

OK but last 7 years Kacha has scored 18, Ward 47, both from around 200 games and a big chunk of Kacha's in league one.

46 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Sorry 

Didn't realise I have to post all my thoughts on signings or anything BWFC related on here

Forget talking to mates in the pub or at the match 

You really need to get a life 

5 minutes ago, desperado said:

He’s growing on me and he definitely has some good qualities. I don’t want him to go. He’s versatile and can be a game changer.

Bit just for debate who would you have started him for yesterday? 

Sheehan.  Sadlier ahead of him, get the better players on the pitch and come up with a formation to suit.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Sorry 

Didn't realise I have to post all my thoughts on signings or anything BWFC related on here

Forget talking to mates in the pub or at the match 

You really need to get a life 

I asked about posts on here.

We can all claim we "told my mates in the pub he'd be a good signing" in hindsight.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Sheehan.  Sadlier ahead of him, get the better players on the pitch and come up with a formation to suit.

Sheehan, while not as eye catching as Lee and Morley in that first half, was crucial in knitting things together, keeping possession, playing progressive forward passes, allowing the forward/attacking players to be effective in the game. No way IMO would Sadlier have done that. And if You change formation to swap Sheehan for Sadlier we’d have been way too open.

Edited by desperado