Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Theres some crack pots on Facebook going on about how the fee for Dapo should be upwards of 5 Million!!!!

They are the same fuckwits demanding we release Santos too though "Because he's shit".

Theres some mental folk about

Surely the £500k will be banked to keep the club running? 

We already have 5 strikers, 5 wing backs and 7 centre midfielders. 

That’s without this secret exciting signing due.

With our owners lacking serious backing we need all the money we can get to keep the lights on? 

The whole business plan was to sign potential and make profit to bank roll the club. Afolayan is just that. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, lobbypond said:

My point being it might be unfair to call the lad 'unmotivated' when we no longer play him in the position he excelled at.

Or he could show a bit more irrespective of where he's playing. 

I agree it's not his best position, but up front gives him less responsibility to track back and cover his full back.

Against Derby, he was largely anonymous. Wasn't his game for sure, but he could have shown far more desire. Not the first time he's been ineffective, including in his preferred position. As good as he can be, he's too inconsistent and a bit moany. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

See Stoke have cut short Delap loan........Could this be the exciting player Evatt is hinting at.

Good relationship with City

22 matches, 3 goals, no assists for Stoke. 

Two loans of players that haven't yet become remotely prolific seems risky.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Charles was £320K. 

With a few months on his deal. 

I’ll be honest I think the Dapo is light. 12 months ago he’d of been worth plenty more.

His development has been handled well by I suspect all parties in the last 12 months.

What I’m slowly realising though is clearly something isn’t right or you don’t find a cut price move to St Pauli on the cards.

Ill wish him well and all that suspect someone will get a decent fee for him at some point, I only become interested who walks in and replaces him. They need to get it right.

Someone on twitter pointed out that the €600k fee that’s being banded about has come from the German article which quotes his ‘valuation’ using the equivalent of transfermrkt. I’m not convinced it’s a genuine reliable bid, rather an amount that the author has quoted he is valued at.

Might be bollocks, but having read the translated version of the German article it isn’t clear that St. Pauli have definitely made a €600k bid.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, lobbypond said:

My point being it might be unfair to call the lad 'unmotivated' when we no longer play him in the position he excelled at.

Great point

Unmotivated, lazy, not trying

All utter bollocks if its used against any evatt regular

He has no bigger fan than me, but 500k for a player contributing nowt is a no brainer

We would get all of morley,johnstone, toal dempsey, charles, bod etc for that, and yeah i know we need to pay them

Hardly a queue of clubs at the door for him. Rumoured £500k you would think it was spark action from Any other interested parties. 

much rather take the money now than get nowt in 18 months for a bit part player. 

people going on about St Pauli only being in the 2nd division blah blah. We’re in the fucking 3rd! 

i think we’re now at the point where we are signing players who not only do a job at this level but also the one above. Debate is out whether Dapo could take the champ on considering he’s not ripping up trees in L1 

With Markham and the alleged heavy involvement of player analysis software we're on the Moneyball path so we can only expect there to be a fair bit of trading and very little emotional attachment on a management level, whereas fans can't help but be emotionally engaged with players. We chat about dressing room arguments and players not getting selected but I suspect decisions are data driven and naturally some players won't like it - to the point that they intentionally get a three match ban or tweet something stupid.

For now, we just have to trust the process and TBF it's taken us from the bottom of L2 to a playoff place in L1 and the semi final of a trophy.

He is a late starter in the respect of playing first team football. Last year went well, he was happy and signed a new contract. The change in system makes him less effective despite being tried in a few different roles. This year most of his good work is done in less dangerous areas. Clearly the system is not going to change which is causing him some frustration and he thinks he is losing some impetus. It is a shame he has to leave, he is technically very good and an entertainer. 

Not really fussed with the rumour mill, but if he goes I’m not going to be sobbing in a pint.  If we’ve got ideas of getting promoted we’ll need at least 6 or 7 players who can hold their own in the championship, and now is the best time to get a couple of them in.  I trust IE to do the best with whatever funds he’s afforded to get value for money.  

What we’ve all got to remember is that this club is constantly improving and with this comes constant change in personnel, players will come and go at a faster rate than clubs with no aspirations.  I’ll leave all the worrying and rumours with the stress heads.