Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Couple of factors in that really. Only 18 months left and not playing his favoured position or enjoying his football. We weren’t in any position of power on this one

we can’t expect to pick up Charles, Dempsey and Morley for a pittance than complain when it works against us 

Exactly, I mean Morley was 75k plus bonuses… he’s an unbelievable footballer for that money. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Agreed, but he was worth more than that fee. That's not moneyball so much as short-change ball.

I'll always think we've mishandled a vg talent.

Even if the £500k fee is right, it’s 6x Aaron Morley’s - that’s moneyball. Very few players in L1 demand fees in the millions but as long as we’re making profits and reinvesting in the right players then we might just land upon the one or two that bring in the big money.

Just now, Eddie said:

Even if the £500k fee is right, it’s 6x Aaron Morley’s - that’s moneyball. Very few players in L1 demand fees in the millions but as long as we’re making profits and reinvesting in the right players then we might just land upon the one or two that bring in the big money.

Think we’ve already got one in Toal. 

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Think we’ve already got one in Toal. 

Possibly a bit early to be sure but from what we’ve seen I tend to agree Mounts. I’d also stick Morley in there based on his age as a player that could go for a 7 figure fee in future years. If Santos gets back to his best then a champ club would maybe spend a half decent amount on him as well.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

you'd hope so, but we've never been a good selling club

always had our pants pulled down, bar madine

27 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Couple of factors in that really. Only 18 months left and not playing his favoured position or enjoying his football. We weren’t in any position of power on this one

we can’t expect to pick up Charles, Dempsey and Morley for a pittance than complain when it works against us 

correct. folk would go mad if we paid £500k for someone who isn't first choice

8 minutes ago, L/H White said:

you'd hope so, but we've never been a good selling club

always had our pants pulled down, bar madine

We never had a management / ownership structure like we have now though.

As much as Eddie Davies is a saint in my eyes, his ability to just write a cheque to offset the clubs losses, coupled with let’s say a less ‘stringent’ approach to player contracts from Gartside / Allardyce et al. meant that we were never really in a position to drive negotiations.

Now though, the club needs to make profit on players to become financially independent and progressive and I really get the sense that between Sharon, Evatt and Markham they are absolutely all over the contract situation and what that means to potential value for each and every one of the players. I imagine they will have pinpointed when they want to extend contracts for all of the players they want to keep and/or believe have value and if they can’t (ie player is unlikely to sign) then when the right time to cash in is before the value decreases too far - e.g. Dapo.

I might be giving them too much credit, and obviously there are factors out of our control that might mean we don’t quite get what we want for a certain player, but from everything that I have seen so far under this ownership and management structure I think it’s a fair assumption that they have all the details planned out.

Dapo was great for us  but unfortunately like others have said he just could not fit our system and the fee being undisclosed we can only guess the true fee but I trust the club in getting the best fee possible. 
Let’s see who this exciting signing is today? 

59 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Spot On.

Was he worth more? No.

A player is only worth what another club will pay, it's about time fans realised this.

Anyway, what did Charles, Dempsey, Morley & Toal cost between them? They're four regulars now, not bit-part players.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Still not having this £500k figure that Iles is banding about from ‘sources in Germany’.

All the best to Dapo, can’t remember the last time that a player left that 1) the fans actually gave a shit about, and 2) didn’t leave on a sour note. Comments under the twitter article are universally positive and wishing him well for the next stage of his career. Great player for us but now a case of right player in the wrong team - hope we use the money well (and I trust that Evatt will).

It will pay for the new pitch in summer.

• Site Supporter

Decent bit of business. 

Always would be nice to get more, but we've got a decent wedge for a player who isn't in the side and who's contract didn't have ages to run. 

He's helped us from lower league 2, to upper league one.

We've got lots of value from him and it's good business. 

Onwards. 

26 minutes ago, mattbwfc19 said:

Don't see anything wrong with this. Good bit of money for an irregular starter. Seen a few on twitter saying we should've got millions for him, never worth that much in a million years. Wish him all the best.

That’s where it starts to go wrong 

interestingly, no one is in uproar that he’s actually gone. It’s the amount we’ve got which no one outside the club actually knows.. tells you a bit about his impact. 

I am sad/frustrated with this.

I just think we have not got the best out of a good player. That might be his fault it might be the clubs fault.

However, he has gone now so wish him well and trust the club to continue to move forward. 

Not sure when trust and club appeared in same sentence before FV were involved 

If the fee really is £500k then that's because nobody thought he was worth more than that.  If, at any time during his tenure here, anybody had thought him good enough to offer, say, £1m for him then he'd have been sold.

The value of something, or someone, is only what someone else will pay for it.

Ultimately, had we turned down St Pauli's offer then we'd be stuck with an unhappy player who's value would've only decreased.

I can't see why anyone would think the club have got anything wrong here.

3 minutes ago, DazBob said:

If the fee really is £500k then that's because nobody thought he was worth more than that.  If, at any time during his tenure here, anybody had thought him good enough to offer, say, £1m for him then he'd have been sold.

Ultimately, had we turned down St Pauli's offer then we'd be stuck with an unhappy player who's value would've only decreased.

you are forgetting that Sharon does not have BWFC best interests or the interests of her business at the front of any decision.  I mean what does that multi millionaire businesswoman know about making money and selling assets for their worth

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

It's been reported that St Pauli made 4 bids before we accepted, so the deal must include a few add-ons at least.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Stevowanderer said:

500k plus a sell on %. We’d have got more last summer for him for sure but 18 months left on deal and he hasn’t been as effective since we switched systems it’s not the worst deal.

I saw a great tweet the other day that said changing systems has devalued Dapo over the past 6-12 months but in turn increased the values of several other players like Johnston, Gethin, Rico (and even the likes of Aimson now) etc who have been better with the 3 atb. so it’s more than balanced out. 

Agree with that 

You're not going to get decent money for a player who's not consistently been in form for over a year 

Good luck to him, he'll probably end up playing top flight in Germany and if there's a sell on clause even better all round

23 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It's quite possible his valuation has also been affected by his seemingly only being very good in one position.

The Dapo playing on the left wing in a 4-3-2-1 is very good, the Dapo playing at left wing-back, or up front, or at No. 10, in a 3-5-2 is less good.

It’s exactly that. If someone had come in for him at the early part of last season when he was playing left side, scoring (some very good) goals and terrorising defences we would’ve been asking for a damn sight more than whatever we got for him Today