Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

2 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

If it's true that it was Aimson who wanted away to get regular starts then surely we'd have been in the driving seat during the negotiations?

I think so. The only doubts would be just how much Exeter can afford but I think approaching £100K would not be impossible. Sometimes fees become clear, others not.

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I think so. The only doubts would be just how much Exeter can afford but I think approaching £100K would not be impossible. Sometimes fees become clear, others not.

Difficult to tell with Exeter being trust led but they have earned millions selling on kids in last few years 

26 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Devine won’t happen now as we have 5 loans and I can’t see it being a permanent. We can have more on loan but can only name 5 in the match day squad… and I think he’ll want all 5 that we have now in the 18. 

Ah yes, silly me.

Doubt we will be splashing anymore cash on permanent fees then.

All in all a good January window.

It looks like another good, progressive transfer window.......very hopeful that Victor will become a good first choice partner to Charles upfront & that Williams will be a good attacking alternative to the more defensive Iredale once he gets up to speed.

A small concern is that the recruitment of a left sided defender in Mbete (woh ooh Mbete bam a lam ) may mean that Johnston has a more serious injury.

The only iffy thing is offloading Dapo but we got a decent fee & reinvested it in a striker who's already scored the same amount half way through this season than Dapo did last season so if he ends up suiting the team more then it's a good swap. Jerome is a proven goalscorer, wealth of experience & will do a job when called upon providing a focal point. Randell has not set any trees on fire but there's a good player in there which is our player on a permanent but maybe a case of staying patient with him like how we're seeing with Demps when he signed this time last year came unfit where it took him time to get into stride but now we're seeing what a valuable asset he is to the team. The rest of them being loans but what great loans to bring into the club for this season, x1 Liverpool/x2 City/x1 Utd/1xSaints... compare that to our L2 season when we were loaning Crellin & Elbouzedi from Fleetwood/Lincoln. I'm sure our x5 loans next season will be just as good too no matter what div we're in because we're an attractive proposition for players to come & play aswell as building good relationships with the clubs around us as it's beneficial for all parties.

Has Rudy given low down on Mbete?

Mate oop in manc who is big citeh fan has given up trying to rate their yoofs as they all look like the next big thing playing for their kids and academy sides drilled in Pep ball but often struggle to adapt to playing elsewhere and lose their way 

Let’s see how this one goes. I’ve no idea or not if this has been a good window. I bloody hope so.

It’s the first Evatt Jan where it doesn’t feel unanimously better but that may be a sign of progress as it doesn’t mean the first half of the season was shite as per the last 2.

55 minutes ago, tomski said:

It’s the first Evatt Jan where it doesn’t feel unanimously better 

Im the other way, although a happy clapper :D

It was clear during our annual dip once the winter came we needed some physical presence. Charles spending way too much time deep scrapping for the ball as his link up men weren't capable, either through injury, stubborness or just being crap.

We have struggled to break units down. Now he's just signed 3 big fuck off units plus shortire for the other stuff. 

I think it could be our best window yet under EVFV

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

It was clear during our annual dip once the winter came we needed some physical presence. Charles spending way too much time deep scrapping for the ball as his link up men weren't capable, either through injury, stubborness or just being crap.

We have struggled to break units down. Now he's just signed 3 big fuck off units plus shortire for the other stuff. 

Let’s hope so. Till the next one obvs. It looked good at Charlton. Just can’t call it yet.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Let’s see how this one goes. I’ve no idea or not if this has been a good window. I bloody hope so.

It’s the first Evatt Jan where it doesn’t feel unanimously better but that may be a sign of progress as it doesn’t mean the first half of the season was shite as per the last 2.

I think we have a stronger attacking line up as we are less likely to be outmuscled but concerned we’ve made our defence weaker. Time will tell. Trust the process I guess 

Its looking like a cracking window.   On Saturday we had shoretire, victor, Jerome on the pitch at some point, we had 24 shots, am sure sky said it was the most any side in league 1 had in a game all season,  not saying the above 3 had all the shots but this is a tad different to a few weeks ago when we weren't creating chances.

Defence looks decent enough,  toal continues to impress and when see his reaction after Saturdays win the lad looks well into the group.

Already looking forward to seeing the line up on Saturday.

9 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Lost 2 defenders and brought 2 in. Could argue were 1 up with John back in the fold 

Lost 3 attackers and brought 4 in Which gives us more muscle, pace and a bit of creativity 

not sure what’s to complain about 

No butter on the hot dogs

14 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Lost 2 defenders and brought 2 in. Could argue were 1 up with John back in the fold 

Lost 3 attackers and brought 4 in Which gives us more muscle, pace and a bit of creativity 

I'd need it explaining in twixes to understand.

51 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

the defence feels weaker but John made it looks balanced on saturday.

lets hope our run of injuries is over.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Quite.

I'm also not concerned about Dapo leaving as we were doing well without him being in the team.

Time will tell of course but assuming we stay in the play offs, then having more muscle available for those games can only be a good thing.

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

I think it's been a great window - we've only really lost 1 big hitter in Dapo (and he didn't quite fit what we needed) but kept the rest - Bradley wasn't recalled, Johnston, Santos, Morley etc all still here. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to top that league 2 Jan window though... that was the turning point for the whole club. I still pinch myself that we were around 20th/21st at the end of Jan...nearly everyone wanted rid of Evatt and somehow we got promoted.

If Charles hits 20+ this season we may struggle to keep hold of him if we don't go up. And I'm sure there will be big interest in Morley, Johnston anyway. We finally have some very saleable assets.