Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Big E said:

Ha ha ha. Never. It was ace meeting him there though. “My mates weird and loves jock football and Bolton…..that’s our Matt” 

It was proper weird living there. Nothing open. Big day out to Tesco. All very odd 

I bet you were the only one in the village, too

5 hours ago, globaldiver said:

We’ve always been a trading club, just lost our way when in the Prem last. It’s a good start by this management, but it might get harder if we progress up the ladder.

It's a long time since we were a good trading club though - not since the Neal/Rioch/McFarland/Todd years have we been regularly picking up top quality players for peanuts and selling them on for good profits without overpaying on wages. I guess steals like Eidur Gudjohnsen, McAteer and Curcic became harder to come by although Allardyce did well making money out of Anelka.  But since then, we seem to have sold on the cheap which contributed towards our near extinction and we definitely traded at a loss - with Eddie's money - for far too long.

FV appear to have a handle on things, but IMO at this level it would take years of trading up to be able to afford to buy a higher level team without substantial investment/change of ownership - unless enough hidden gems still exist and I don't think they do. Toal is a good find for this level but I doubt we'll find players of the quality we did in the 90's on the cheap.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

It's a long time since we were a good trading club though - not since the Neal/Rioch/McFarland/Todd years have we been regularly picking up top quality players for peanuts and selling them on for good profits without overpaying on wages. I guess steals like Eidur Gudjohnsen, McAteer and Curcic became harder to come by although Allardyce did well making money out of Anelka.  But since then, we seem to have sold on the cheap which contributed towards our near extinction and we definitely traded at a loss - with Eddie's money - for far too long.

FV appear to have a handle on things, but IMO at this level it would take years of trading up to be able to afford to buy a higher level team without substantial investment/change of ownership - unless enough hidden gems still exist and I don't think they do. Toal is a good find for this level but I doubt we'll find players of the quality we did in the 90's on the cheap.

We did well with Madine and Clough, but generally I think we often fall short compared to what other clubs seem to get for similar players

8 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The thing is Lusty, players develop at different ages and just because a kid looks a star at junior school doesn’t mean he’ll develop much further. There are I’m sure a number of players in non league or other leagues that can become stars but as you say it’s becoming much more difficult to identify them. Also the money at the top clubs, even for youth and reserve players is ridiculous so as we’re finding with the likes of Traf, Shortire and Mbete however well they do we have no hope of signing them permanently and I consider us a bigger than most club. Like you I agree it’s becoming more and more difficult to find rough diamonds but they are there if you can be lucky enough or canny enough to find them. Personally I think we’ve done well with the likes of Morley, Toal, Johnson and Thomson who I think will all fetch decent money if eventually sold.

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

The thing is Lusty, players develop at different ages and just because a kid looks a star at junior school doesn’t mean he’ll develop much further. There are I’m sure a number of players in non league or other leagues that can become stars but as you say it’s becoming much more difficult to identify them. Also the money at the top clubs, even for youth and reserve players is ridiculous so as we’re finding with the likes of Traf, Shortire and Mbete however well they do we have no hope of signing them permanently and I consider us a bigger than most club. Like you I agree it’s becoming more and more difficult to find rough diamonds but they are there if you can be lucky enough or canny enough to find them. Personally I think we’ve done well with the likes of Morley, Toal, Johnson and Thomson who I think will all fetch decent money if eventually sold.

Exactly. I think I'm saying that whilst we've sustainably progressed a long way under FVs management in a short time I'm struggling to see how that momentum/pace can continue on an upward trajectory without substantial new investment and that may mean new ownership - which in itself is a concern as we'd be lucky to find new owners with the same values and commitment as FV. I don't think they'd sell to an Anderson Mk2 but there'd be no guarantees especially whilst the FPP rules remain about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

6 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Exactly. I think I'm saying that whilst we've sustainably progressed a long way under FVs management in a short time I'm struggling to see how that momentum/pace can continue on an upward trajectory without substantial new investment and that may mean new ownership 

That's the endgame IMO.
Promotion to the Championship and then sell before they have to invest heavily for a PL push.

Then you can all stop wanking over your Aunty Shazza and following Turkey teeth's vlogs.

Just now, Traf said:

That's the endgame IMO.
Promotion to the Championship and then sell before they have to invest heavily for a PL push.

Then you can all stop wanking over your Aunty Shazza and following Turkey teeth's vlogs.

Then start wanking over Bassini?

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

That's the endgame IMO.

I agree mate - I think they're painting the house magnolia, tidying up the garden and baking fresh bread ready for the market.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I agree mate - I think they're painting the house magnolia, tidying up the garden and baking fresh bread ready for the market.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. 

Of course she's a business woman and may well look to make a profit at some point, but fv have hardly pushed for that to be achieved in the quickest way possible. 

Installed a relatively unknown manager, given him virtually nothing to spend other than that which the club has generated, and even removed betting outlets that will have generated income.

The house is far from magnolia; it's being gradually modernised as and when the occupants can afford it. It's very much a home now, not just a dwelling.

11 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

That's an absolute insult to the work done by FV and IE. To use your analogy there was a creaky lean to that was just about to collapse completely and they've built a really nice house.

I imagine there is a viable plan in place for progression, just because folks on here can't see it doesn't negate it.

On 31/01/2023 at 20:13, Johnnyrotten said:

If Stoke manage to finish below 3 of Birmingham, Rotherham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Wigan, with a 7 point lead over the last 3, I'll sing Delilah on the town hall steps 😁

But ...          Why Why Why ?

You do know the Welsh Rugby Union have just banned this song for promoting domestic violence ?

Apparently Stokies are now worried that pressure will build for them to follow likewise 

Simon Jordan best sums it up 

https://talksport.com/sport/rugby-union/1321189/simon-jordan-wales-rugby-union-delilah-tom-jones/

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

But ...          Why Why Why ?

You do know the Welsh Rugby Union have just banned this song for promoting domestic violence ?

Apparently Stokies are now worried that pressure will build for them to follow likewise 

Simon Jordan best sums it up 

https://talksport.com/sport/rugby-union/1321189/simon-jordan-wales-rugby-union-delilah-tom-jones/

Stokies have already taken the violence out and swapped ‘knife’ out and inserted ‘cock’ so all good. That couldn’t possibly upset the gammons could it?

Edited by MickyD
Spellcheck cunts!

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I can understand Traf going back at some point, but I'm not sure about him being city's number 2 keeper.

Need to have a decent one of our own anyway. 

Precisely.

The lads a revelation but City #2 ? Nah.

If They want him under their roof, if they have eyes to re-loan him to a club higher up. If they want him for lower-level Cup games, or to now & again taste their bench  that makes sense. But at best he's their 4th in line currently & if their #1 was unavailable long term their cheque book would come out.

Plus, it's about time IE removed his myopic view of keepers and arranged a new, proper, one for us. It really is a blindspot.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

City need to make a call at some point

Looking on their website, he's not listed as amongst their main keepers, of which there appear to be 4.

He's a young chap, especially for a keeper, so no rush on his part needed, but at some point he will have a decision to make- stay and try to force his way into the first team, or consider a move to get top level games.

Don't see him necessarily getting a prem gig at the moment, so if we can get ourselves up, then who knows. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Looking on their website, he's not listed as amongst their main keepers, of which there appear to be 4.

He's a young chap, especially for a keeper, so no rush on his part needed, but at some point he will have a decision to make- stay and try to force his way into the first team, or consider a move to get top level games.

Don't see him necessarily getting a prem gig at the moment, so if we can get ourselves up, then who knows. 

Even if we got up it's likely he would have to take a wage cut to stay.